• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STOLEN BOOK
1 1

32 posts in this topic

It doesnt help that all the carriers seem allergic to ringing doorbell or knocking.  They just drop package as close to sidewalk as possible to make sure everyone can see it, and leave.  Many times going for a walk I have witnessed this and rang the doorbell.  "Hi you just got a package".
The only upside is the lazy carriers that do this also get THEIR deliveries treated the exact same way.  
Alien species watching this kind of stuff would conclude "these humans dont seem to care about each other-at all".

46 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

i hear that even if you pay for signature confirmation,  the post office isn't even getting the signature they are just leaving the package on the porch

If that's true that postal employee is not only getting fired but getting fined which is why carriers who don't get a signature (because no one answers or is home) leave a slip saying "sorry we missed you" and leaving the next attempted delivery date and/or where the resident can pick up said package. 

1 minute ago, wisbyron said:

If that's true that postal employee is not only getting fired but getting fined which is why carriers who don't get a signature (because no one answers or is home) leave a slip saying "sorry we missed you" and leaving the next attempted delivery date and/or where the resident can pick up said package. 

the covid excuse offers cover for anything and everything these days

52 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

i hear that even if you pay for signature confirmation,  the post office isn't even getting the signature they are just leaving the package on the porch

Can confirm. I'm very much not in New York, and just had a Registered Mail delivery this week with no signature confirmation.

11 minutes ago, wisbyron said:

There was a story here a while back abt carrier who just signed expensive book himself and dropped it where it could get stolen.  Never got fired or anything.

11 minutes ago, kav said:

There was a story here a while back abt carrier who just signed expensive book himself and dropped it where it could get stolen.  Never got fired or anything.

I'm sure that happens. All I'm saying is that there are specific protocols with the USPS in regards to the process of dealing with signature confirmation and they are very stringent about it, if only because the USPS has to reimburse and is also fined due to ordinance if it's proven that something was just lazily discarded, etc.

5 minutes ago, wisbyron said:

I'm sure that happens. All I'm saying is that there are specific protocols with the USPS in regards to the process of dealing with signature confirmation and they are very stringent about it, if only because the USPS has to reimburse and is also fined due to ordinance if it's proven that something was just lazily discarded, etc.

I guess it was an anomaly and lazy postmaster but if I recall the boardie escalated his complaint all the way to headquarters and....nuthin.

7 minutes ago, wisbyron said:

I had a 6.0 black widow that USPS lost this past fall. It was en route, and during one of the stops mid way it was scanned and then never seen or heard from again. I talked to USPS staff at three different locations, sent emails, filed a claim, and even had a senior level manager at the "corporate" level try and get a contact to the "lost and found warehouse" but apparently that thing is fort knox and its also basically a skiff where there is no communication in and out.

I never received anything other than, "we will get back to you", "someone should be calling you", "file another claim online if it hasnt been resolved". I was left high and dry. A worker at my local USPS office even told me "off the record" insurance if just for warm feelings...that she has had multiple come in and complain of experiences like mine and receive no payout or resolution.

Needless to say, I empathize with @Omaha-CGC-Comics and hope he gets his book back or the money. I know its a terrible feeling. :/

9 minutes ago, 956Ref said:

I had a 6.0 black widow that USPS lost this past fall. It was en route, and during one of the stops mid way it was scanned and then never seen or heard from again. I talked to USPS staff at three different locations, sent emails, filed a claim, and even had a senior level manager at the "corporate" level try and get a contact to the "lost and found warehouse" but apparently that thing is fort knox and its also basically a skiff where there is no communication in and out.

I never received anything other than, "we will get back to you", "someone should be calling you", "file another claim online if it hasnt been resolved". I was left high and dry. A worker at my local USPS office even told me "off the record" insurance if just for warm feelings...that she has had multiple come in and complain of experiences like mine and receive no payout or resolution.

Needless to say, I empathize with @Omaha-CGC-Comics and hope he gets his book back or the money. I know its a terrible feeling. :/

And I sympathize with you, again, I know this *does* happen but I was responding to the "I hear they just drop it off" hearsay like it's a common, casual thing going on. I've had to work in conjunction with the USPS for a shipping warehouse and there's lots of costly fines for them if that is just a lazy, every day occurrence is all I was saying.

5 hours ago, 1950's war comics said:

That is correct. Which means you know what, right? I don't even want to say it to give anyone stopping by the forum any bright ideas. 

3 hours ago, wisbyron said:

there are specific protocols to the process of dealing with signature confirmation and they are very stringent about it,

Yes. Prior to Covid. Signature confirmation no longer provides the same degree of secure delivery it once did prior to Covid. Carriers now have more options, to sign for the recipient and drop the parcel on a doorstep and bounce without ever making contact with the addressee when the parcel is sent using the standard $3.50 standard add on service.