• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nit Picky - Ebay listings Pet Peeve

100 posts in this topic

Rare cgc it ready. Same as cgc. All annoying. It is a cesspool of annoying sellers. Over grading. Ones that don't give a grade because they aren't a professional grader but tell you to see pics and it is only a pic as in single and it was taken 16 feet away with a Motorola flip phone. 

If I make an offer and it's autorejected, does the seller know I made an offer?

Similar to what rjpb said, it frustrates me if I'm searching for "Silver-age Marvels" and I have to wade thru a bunch of Supermans and World's Finests.

1 hour ago, Gaard said:

If I make an offer and it's autorejected, does the seller know I made an offer?

Similar to what rjpb said, it frustrates me if I'm searching for "Silver-age Marvels" and I have to wade thru a bunch of Supermans and World's Finests.

Yes but it takes a little bit of digging. You can see it on the listing page but only from a PC or the desktop version of Ebay on a phone. And you can't have the app installed because if you try anything on regular Ebay it automatically redirects to the app where you can't see auto reject offers. It usually choose a low auto reject amount when listing something with best offers. I'd rather see as many offers as I can even the lowball stuff to ignore. You never know when a serious buyer could get discouraged after an auto reject and move on.

I suppose it can get a little annoying when searching for example #84 of any given major title only to end up with an endless list of some major key of that title from 1984 or whatever year :pullhair:. This happens alot with ASM #83 or 84....you end up sifting through a cavalcade of ASM #252s and 238s

Edited by MGsimba77

2 hours ago, KPR Comics said:

Technically, a single auction listing is a lot regardless of the number of items

but when you are looking for actual lots its pretty annoying.  specially if the guy has dozens/hundreds of listings.
Scroll scroll scroll next page, scroll scroll scroll, next page, Scroll scroll scroll next page, scroll scroll scroll, next page, Scroll scroll scroll next page, scroll scroll scroll, next page, Scroll scroll scroll next page, scroll scroll scroll, next page, 
Aw screw it i give up.

Edited by kav

Emojis. Always see 😱🔥 together with some sort of light thing I cant find 

I particularly hate this emoji 😱

Know what this looks like? Looks like someone getting a rectal exam with cold tools. That's what that looks like. I don't want to buy things from people using that in their listing

Threads about eBay seller sharp practice / stupidity (usually the former) and keyword spamming have been going on here since greggy had less than 5,000 posts.

The only difference between now and 18 years ago is that the grading has generally gotten if anything worse (well, few sellers actually grade the book anymore), and the prices way more absurd.

In fact very little has changed except that most of the good stuff has migrated to other platforms. Hail eBay!!

Edited by goldust40

The best is pulling a slab that you packed away 8 years ago, clean it up, make it look pretty. Have a fast sale, then have to deal with a return because the slab "seal on the side is broken" and the book "looks more like a 9.2 than a 9.6"

Even after you have stated in description you have more pictures if they request it, that you'll answer any questions they may have.

Nope, ignore all that, then accuse the seller of fraud. Taking a 9.6 book out of a slab and replacing it with a 9.2 book.

I think I'm going to just do consignment or maybe just learn how to sell here from now on

6 hours ago, rjpb said:

The best offer is a default option if you aren't using a previous listing as a template. I think some sellers don't always realize when a book has it. I once offered $20 for $25 book with a best offer option, and it was auto-rejected, so for the hell of it I offered $24 to see what would happen, that was rejected too.

I've done similar a couple of times when my best offer was rejected just to see how close it was actually to the listed price. 

Go to search for spider man 15
Not spider man.  Not 1,2,3,4,5,6.......etc
it's a little lotta and dum dum thought gee maybe someone will decide to BUY it if they just SEE it-

4 hours ago, kav said:

Go to search for spider man 15
Not spider man.  Not 1,2,3,4,5,6.......etc
it's a little lotta and dum dum thought gee maybe someone will decide to BUY it if they just SEE it-

That's what she said...again

10 hours ago, I_Am_Not_A_Cat said:

Rare cgc it ready. Same as cgc. All annoying. It is a cesspool of annoying sellers. Over grading. Ones that don't give a grade because they aren't a professional grader but tell you to see pics and it is only a pic as in single and it was taken 16 feet away with a Motorola flip phone. 

As I just happen to be a cat and will proudly admit it freely if asked, without the slightest bit of hesitation, my personal pet peeve is when my fellow felines are in denial! 

Welcome brother, and climb on in. I've stowed plenty of catnip aboard. :cloud9:

welcome.gif

All these are valid and annoying to a degree but the one that gets me most is the guy who doesn't post a major defect in the title, like "restored" or "missing coupon" or "CT."  To be sure, most won't do that because it would cut down on traffic, but... :frustrated:  

There's one guy in particular (he's been talked about here before) where not only the title indicates nothing, but the description tends to minimize major defects (trimming on three sides, slight trimming, slight CT) and hiding them in the body of text while continuing to emphasize what a beautiful NM book it is. 

17 hours ago, I_Am_Not_A_Cat said:

Yes sellers using the word "rare" irritates me as well. It is a cesspool, but there are some good sellers around.