• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM #300 or STAR WARS CLONE WARS #1
1 1

46 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

demand is low compared to ASM300.  Conversely, production run is also low and thus relative to available supply, it's harder to get copies of CW1.

I can agree with that.

in terms of pop culture iconography, Venom is known amongst hardcore and casual comic fans alike.

This wasn't the case before the Venom movie, however, I will concede Venom was more well known than Ahsoka before first movie/show appearances.

I think Mandalorian did more for Ahsoka than the Venom movie did for it, in terms of exposure.

Pre-Mandalorian, Ahsoka wasn't even known amongst die hard Star Wars fans.

This is absolutely false. We just didn't see her coming into the big picture anytime soon.

the live action representation is a pale version of the magnificence that is her animated character

Same can be said of Venom compared to it's comic book version.

At current prices, I don't think either is a "good investment". The market is skewed right now and there will be price corrections but if I had to choose one, Clone Wars is certainly the better bet, considering the sheer amount of copies of ASM 300 out there.

4 hours ago, I like pie said:
11 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

Pre-Mandalorian, Ahsoka wasn't even known amongst die hard Star Wars fans.

This is absolutely false. We just didn't see her coming into the big picture anytime soon.

My only basis for that is the shockingly low number of people who haven't watched Clone Wars because "it's a kids show".

4 minutes ago, Rip said:

As of now, Clone Wars 1 is the better of the two. I'd much rather have a limited cover of Clone Wars 1.

But I wouldn't be knocking down doors for either.

Yea. I don't know who is buying at the current market prices but they are, for both books:popcorn:

I think we're comparing regular cover CW1, not limited covers. 

The Pros: 

ASM has iconic cover, hall-of-fame artist/creator, 30 year track record of demand, key issue in the top Spidey-series, and generally-accepted 1st appearance of major character who's now been around for 30 years still with a huge fanbase. 

CW1 has lower supply, 1st appearance of expanding-popularity character yet to hit big-screen audiences and exists in Star Wars canon. 

The Cons:

ASM has much higher supply and main character has already appeared in big-screen movies. 

CW1 has forgettable cover and has rapidly spiked in value.

Bottomline: 

CW1 spec, ASM long.  

27 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

My only basis for that is the shockingly low number of people who haven't watched Clone Wars because "it's a kids show".

Exactly!

that, plus a lot of comics collectors are not necessarily tuned in to Star Wars as they are Spiderman.

ASM 300 is a huge book, with arguably the most important character conceived in the 1980’s ( aside from TMNT), and folks are starting to look upon it as the copper age equivalent of Hulk 181.  Additionally, the Venomverse of titles is alive and well, with many more Venom and related titles forthcoming before and after the next Venom movie.

Finally, as many have stated, there are way more copies of ASM 300, but folks love this book and so many collectors want to own at least one copy (many want multiples).  So it’s difficult to see this book decreasing in value for all of the aforementioned reasons. I will concede that the book may plateau for a time at $10K (mental threshold to overcome), just as it did at $5K, where it stagnated for approximately 3 months.  

I don't get why The Clone Wars 1 is that big a deal?  The cartoon came first, the comic is an adaptation of that cartoon.  At least Star Wars 1 (1977) was released before the movie.  Comicbook junkies will always want a first comicbook appearance, but Star Wars fans as a lot, seem to differentiate into all types of media/collectibles.  

The true first ever appearance of Ahsoka in media is Star Wars Insider 95.  Before the cartoon, before the comics.   

1 minute ago, Broke as a Joke said:

I don't get why The Clone Wars 1 is that big a deal?  The cartoon came first, the comic is an adaptation of that cartoon.  At least Star Wars 1 (1977) was released before the movie.  Comicbook junkies will always want a first comicbook appearance, but Star Wars fans as a lot, seem to differentiate into all types of media/collectibles.  

The true first ever appearance of Ahsoka in media is Star Wars Insider 95.  Before the cartoon, before the comics.   

Why is Batman Adventures #12 a big deal?

11 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

Why is Batman Adventures #12 a big deal?

It wasn't for years.  She was heavily involved in Batman stories and even had her own series before BA 12 became a must own book.  Mad Love was worth more back then.  Batman is still more comic book driven than Star Wars though.  

53 minutes ago, Broke as a Joke said:

It wasn't for years.  She was heavily involved in Batman stories and even had her own series before BA 12 became a must own book.  Mad Love was worth more back then.  Batman is still more comic book driven than Star Wars though.  

What stories/series was she in prior to Batman Adventures #12 and why is this the first time I'm hearing this?

1 hour ago, Broke as a Joke said:

Which appearance of Boba Fett most sought-after by Star Wars fans, and why?

14 minutes ago, Broke as a Joke said:

Not what I said.  She was in a coloring book I believe before BA 12 though, but the cartoon came first.

Most comic fans are only concerned with first comic appearance.  No one here is jumping on eBay buying coloring books, slabbing them and going "first appearance of Harley Quinn!  Art by my 6 year old son."

1 hour ago, Broke as a Joke said:

I'm pretty sure the Boba Fett J-slot action figure would still be the most sought after collectible.

I would definitely want one of those, but I doubt that an action figure is considered an "appearance" that can be collected. Following you're explanation then wouldn't a cel from SWHS be the most sought after, or maybe the original costume worn by Jeremy Bulloch in ESB? Are those "appearances" that are collected?

Edited by jcjames

1 hour ago, ExNihilo said:

Most comic fans are only concerned with first comic appearance.  No one here is jumping on eBay buying coloring books, slabbing them and going "first appearance of Harley Quinn!  Art by my 6 year old son."

Batman and Harley being primarily comic book characters, yes the comics win out in terms of collectibles.  Star wars not the same.

21 minutes ago, jcjames said:

I would definitely want one of those, but I doubt that an action figure is considered an "appearance" that can be collected. Following you're explanation then wouldn't a cel from SWHS be the most sought after, or maybe the original costume worn by Jeremy Bulloch in ESB? Are those "appearances" that are collected?

Animated cels and movie props are one of a kind type items.  That's a whole other beast.  

I think most Star Wars fans would put the action figures right at the top of the list and the prototype Bobas have always been in demand.  Rare is the Star Wars fan that only focuses on the comic books.