• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Occasionally you can still find diamonds on ebay...

26 posts in this topic

That is funny but I actually bought that for $30 a few weeks ago. A few hours after I bought it,  the seller sent me an e-mail saying he is canceling the order as per my request. I told him I never asked to cancel the order. He said he was putting it back up for $450, and I said that is fine I will buy it for that, but he listed it without waiting for me and someone else bought it. I told him that it was not right that he lied saying I asked to cancel. He said he is cancelling the second $450 purchase and decided not to sell it at this time.

Obviously he put it back up for auction with a buy it now for $450.

I really want to leave negative feedback for him for his lies, but for some reason ebay won't allow to leave feedback on cancellations which is unfair. Perhaps because he put the reason for cancellation as "buyer requested".

Edited by Bludriver

Just now, Pat Thomas said:

I would feel the same way you do if that happened to me. Sorry to reopen old wounds.

Thanks. Although I was disappointed not to get the book, it was his lies that got me upset. If he would have had the decency to be truthful with me, I would have no problem. I even told him the book is worth at least $2,000, (He did not say the cover was detached in his original listing), which makes me question why he relisted it at only $450 a month later.

1 hour ago, Bludriver said:

I am not sure it is a scam. He might just be a lying ******* who should be kicked off ebay.

I had someone on Mercari do the same thing to me on a copy of ASM #300... definitely NM+ range for $400. Someone messaged him and offered $500 which was still way under market at the time and I would've gladly matched. Unfortunately he gave me less than 30 minutes to respond and had already canceled and resold the item. I gave him a piece of my mind and messaged him again a week or so later that he still sold the book under market. Hopefully after he already shipped it to the new buyer.

Can't do too much about it, don't think it's against policy on either platform unless you do it too often. Just try not to be that guy as a seller I guess :kidaround:

E: I had a deal in principle to buy a copy of ASM #1 for $5k this week and it was a copy that looked to be worth $75k+... haven't heard from the seller since he confirmed that he received my contact info so that fell through obviously. Stuff happens! lol 

E2: And to more directly address the OP... there are ALWAYS deals on Ebay. I have a couple methods for finding key issues that aren't listed in the listing title or description. Yes, the items that hit for "Amazing Spider-Man #300" aren't going to go for less than market very often but you can find pretty big keys in lots and sellers that don't know how to get picked up in the search algorithm don't always list the individual issues in a lot anywhere. I actually just bought a lot of 150 Daredevil comics around $2 an issue and it has a NM+ copy of DD V2 #10, first cover appearance of Echo. That book is in good enough quality to pay for the whole lot once graded and there are 150+ other high grade issues that I am essentially getting for free. People have been paying $150 for NM+ raw copies of that issue as I got the whole lot for  a bit more than that and I let it sit on Ebay for months until I went back for it. There will never be a lack of deals on Ebay you just need to be a little creative to find listings that aren't optimized properly. That's where the deals are.

Edited by BoogieWoogie

Don't limit yourself to ebay, I recently found some below FMV slabs from MyComicShop.  I was also surprise that the listing in question wasn't linked on the GPA Live Listings, so it may have been too recent or missed altogether.  Either way, there's diamonds to be found in the wild all the time, but it takes patience, strategy and lots of luck.  

Here's another trick on Ebay. This works on some listings and not others, but you can score some sweet deals if you know how look.

Take for example you're looking for Captain Marvel's 1st app on Avenging Spiderman 9. Search Ebay for that exact listing. Now notice it automatically directs you to the Spider-Man subcategory. This is actually deceptive because if you're listing it, you might put it under the Other Superhero Characters tab. Going there shows an additional 5-6 listings for the comic. However, the only way to actually see those copies is by manually going into that category. Searching for those will not make them automatically show up. Sold listings show this category is selling the same comic for $50 cheaper on average for graded copies. Learned this the hard way trying to sell this exact issue. Had no offers for a year. Basically if Ebay ever auto-assigns you a category when searching, make sure to always open up your categories to get more results.

6 minutes ago, snitzer said:

I’ve often found comic “books” listed as “books” on eBay as well. Their search is such a POS at times (i.e. redirects, no ability to set sort default or US sellers only, etc.). I swear, they haven’t updated the site since the 1900s.

Magazines as well

6 minutes ago, snitzer said:

I’ve often found comic “books” listed as “books” on eBay as well. Their search is such a POS at times (i.e. redirects, no ability to set sort default or US sellers only, etc.). I swear, they haven’t updated the site since the 1900s.

I just search all as the filter.. takes more time but worth it in the long haul