• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is most expensive non superhero comics? ...most expensive non Marvel/DC comic?
1 1

71 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, InfantTerrible said:

Amazing data @catman76 thank you

though I'm surprised they platinum age prices are nowhere near the Marvel key books prices

virtually no one living has any genuine childhood nostalgia for anything Platinum. It would not surprise me if Overstreet drops the Platinum section of the guide entirely before the decade is out.  

33 minutes ago, MyNameIsLegion said:

virtually no one living has any genuine childhood nostalgia for anything Platinum. It would not surprise me if Overstreet drops the Platinum section of the guide entirely before the decade is out.  

Virtually no one living has any genuine childhood nostalgia for anything golden age either. I have no genuine childhood nostalgia for anything at all that I collect. All the comics, movies, records, everything I like has absolutely nothing to do with nostalgia or my childhood. Plus platinum age stuff is more popular and more collected than ever so I don't know what you are talking about. It used to be easy to get any of it dirt cheap. Not any more.

35 minutes ago, MyNameIsLegion said:

It would be sad if Overstreet actually drops them from the list. I think these older comics need to be catalogued, somewhere, somehow

I think special/rare books library should start collecting/preserving the platinum/golden age books. Those libraries preserve European illuminated manuscripts or old illustrated books, why can't they start preserving these older comics. They are part of American culture after all

56 minutes ago, MyNameIsLegion said:

Beerbong would go on another tirade if that happened.

6 hours ago, Larryw7 said:

Beerbong would go on another tirade if that happened.

oh without a doubt, Bob would be apoplectic, but that's pop culture.  The best of the best will retains some nominal value for it's historical significance, but everything else will whither. The same will happen to a good portion of the GA comics, the non-hero, non-adventure, non-horror. Think of all the funny animal that are not in Disney or TW portfolio. Andy Panda? Oswald the Rabbit? All the photo covers of 50's TV, Westerns, Classics Illustrated, 4-color, Dells? Dead money in 10 years if not sooner. Older Boomers have no one to pass that junk on to. The can just watch MeTV and clear out some space in their house.

Edited by MyNameIsLegion

32 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

Edit: just saw a prior post that Archie 1 go over 100k ... wow!

Also - as much as I love Cerebus 1, I wouldn't bet on the character long-term.

Cerebus arguably peaked in popularity in the mid-80s, and the last issue was published >16 years ago, with no pop culture revival on the horizon. Despite its significance as an important indy and Bronze book, the character's fan base is only getting older.

Archie, meanwhile, has stood the test of time for 75+ years and the characters had a pop culture resurgence recently with the CW's excellent Riverdale (with season 5 due out in the fall).

7 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

Also - as much as I love Cerebus 1, I wouldn't bet on the character long-term.

Cerebus arguably peaked in popularity in the mid-80s, and the last issue was published >16 years ago, with no pop culture revival on the horizon. Despite its significance as an important indy and Bronze book, the character's fan base is only getting older.

Archie, meanwhile, has stood the test of time for 75+ years and the characters had a pop culture resurgence recently with the CW's excellent Riverdale (with season 5 due out in the fall).

Who knows what will happen... it's hard to predict the future sometimes..

Yes, the author was crazy with really outdated views and the fanbase is getting older.    However, that shouldn't diminish the historic nature of the book.  

Cerebus 1 pretty much marked the new era of independent comic creators.  Paved the way for  TMNT, Elfquest, Usagi, Grendal, Crow , Spawn so it will always remain relevant in a historical context

Obviously, he won't permeate through popular culture like Archie but the book will likely stand with time. Plus,  there are only 273 slabbed copies...

3 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

Who knows what will happen... it's hard to predict the future sometimes..

Yes, the author was crazy with really outdated views and the fanbase is getting older.    However, that shouldn't diminish the historic nature of the book.  

Cerebus 1 pretty much marked the new era of independent comic creators.  Paved the way for  TMNT, Elfquest, Usagi, Grendal, Crow , Spawn so it will always remain relevant in a historical context

Obviously, he won't permeate through popular culture like Archie but the book will likely stand with time. Plus,  there are only 273 slabbed copies...

Yeah it may not be the most expensive non SH but Cerebus 1 still deserves a mention. The character itself is a bit goofy and all but you can't deny the difficulty of what that publisher pulled off! I mean I'm not even a fan but talk about beating the odds :whatthe:

2 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:

Yeah it may not be the most expensive non SH but Cerebus 1 still deserves a mention. The character itself is a bit goofy and all but you can't deny the difficulty of what that publisher pulled off! I mean I'm not even a fan but talk about beating the odds :whatthe:

Absolutely, also Gerhard's spectacular drawings for the series often gets forgotten  with all the controversy with SIm.  

The other thing that's pretty cool about the book is the Counterfeit Cerebus 1 and the story behind those...  all fascinating stuff when you look back and try to piece together what happens.

Netflix should do a documentary on it...

Edited by Wolverinex

26 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

Absolutely, also Gerhard's spectacular drawings for the series often gets forgotten  with all the controversy with SIm.  

The other thing that's pretty cool about the book is the Counterfeit Cerebus 1 and the story behind those...  all fascinating stuff when you look back and try to piece together what happens.

Netflix should do a documentary on it...

Well, now you've piqued my interest.

6 hours ago, William-James88 said:

For non superhero you have: Archie 1 and Pep Comics 22. 

For Non DC/Marvel you have Whiz Comics 2, Whiz Comics 25, Captain Marvel Adventures 18 and Marvel Family 1.

What D84 said - and already covered earlier in the thread.

Pep 22 is out of contention because it’s a superhero book.