• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ebay comic categories not working...
9 9

191 posts in this topic

I don't know if this is temporary or what happened. I was searching for bronze Hulk lots and all-of-a-sudden, I lost the ability to filter by age. Everything was combined into "comics books and memorabilia" with the only sub-category being comics. Is this happening to anyone else? This cannot be the new normal...

There are 3 possibilities, usually. 

The first is that is just a glitch and will get corrected shortly. 

The second is that they are working within the programming, and some functions have limited capabilities during that time.  But it will come back.

The third is that they have borked it completely, someone's great idea of an "improvement" that always results in the user experience deteriorating.  I have yet to see a recent change that hasn't cost me time, or money, or lost opportunities, or all three.

It seems their motto is "if it works, fix it so it won't".  Everything there is eventually improved into dysfunction.  If this corrects itself, it's really just a matter of time before it implodes anyway.  Enjoy it while you can.

Yeah not a good move eBay. But eBay is untouchable. Top rated sellers lost benefits people still use it. Reduced eBay bucks, no eBay bucks, no problem. Managed payments most people signed right up for it. 2022 everybody will be paying their taxes. Poor peterpark will be weeding through all the modern hulk lots just to find the few actually interested in. 

11 minutes ago, I_Am_Not_A_Cat said:

Yeah not a good move eBay. But eBay is untouchable. Top rated sellers lost benefits people still use it. Reduced eBay bucks, no eBay bucks, no problem. Managed payments most people signed right up for it. 2022 everybody will be paying their taxes. Poor peterpark will be weeding through all the modern hulk lots just to find the few actually interested in. 

I really won't. It is unusable as is.

15 minutes ago, goldust40 said:

They certainly have. I've been using the same searches on eBay U.S. on separate tabs (GA super-hero, GA horror, GA war, GA crime and GA other) for the better part of 20 years. They were reliable and occasionally yielded results or books I was after. They also allowed me to weed out sellers I wasn't interested in.

This morning all those searches have disappeared and I can't be bothered to go through the vast reams of stuff I don't want to find the stuff I do.

Game over. Bravo eBay. lol

I just searched eBay.com - the era categories are still there (Gold, Silver etc)....

Capture.PNG.e4223f8ab5067331410cc14885fbe8a2.PNG

...as are the genres once you've selected an era:

Captureb.PNG.377c8aecaaabaf4e183d737309261ecf.PNG

What am I missing Golders? Couldn't you just re-bookmark them?

@Get Marwood & I

I tried doing a search on the eBay US main page for "E.C. Comics" just like you did for Charlton and the page came up exactly like the one you screenshot but minus the eras and genres.

I don't see how I can re-bookmark my searches, which don't involve searching for a title anyway. Correct me if I'm wrong!

20 minutes ago, goldust40 said:

@Get Marwood & I

I tried doing a search on the eBay US main page for "E.C. Comics" just like you did for Charlton and the page came up exactly like the one you screenshot but minus the eras and genres.

I don't see how I can re-bookmark my searches, which don't involve searching for a title anyway. Correct me if I'm wrong!

I see that, yes.

Try this:

1. Search only for E.C.
  2. Select 'collectibles' from the all categories list
  3. To the left of the screen, under 'Collectibles', click on 'more' to reveal 'Comic books & memorabilia'

Then the era and genre options appear:

barrrrrrr.PNG.4f3abf969b198e28c0a2c089839b4792.PNG         

barrrrrrr2.PNG.b0e5c2cef0004bbfee45a47759d0a1a8.PNG

It seems that the inclusion of the word 'comics' in the search messes it up, bizarrely (I just typed 'Charlton', not 'Charlton Comics').

But there is a way to get the genres and you can in theory do the above and re-bookmark the lot. I'm not sure how much the exclusion of the word comics will impact the search results though :wishluck:

@Get Marwood & I

Thanks for the help, mate.

Unfortunately it sort of works if you type in "E.C." - sometimes the eras / genres come up. I then typed in "Captain America Comics"  having clicked on "Golden Age" and "Super-hero" and 65,000 entries came up.

I can't seem to search by title / era / genre, as eBay won't let me. But prior to this development, I could search by era / genre which was much easier than searching by individual title.

Hope it's just a maintenance thing...

Edited by goldust40

4 minutes ago, goldust40 said:

@Get Marwood & I

Thanks for the help, mate.

Unfortunately it sort of works if you type in "E.C." - sometimes the eras / genres come up. I then typed in "Captain America Comics"  having clicked on "Golden Age" and "Super-hero" and 65,000 entries come up.

I can't seem to search by title / era / genre, as eBay won't let me. But prior to this development, I could search by era / genre which was much easier than searching by individual title.

Hope it's just a maintenance thing...

Let's hope so. I'm sure I can recall this happening before?

I can get decent results if I play around, but I agree the former structure / simplicity is currently absent.

Let's face it though, when do technology enhancements ever actually enhance... 9_9

blue.thumb.PNG.0d6f64c35ce3712c16d082150a88a842.PNG

@Get Marwood & I

Oh yeah, I went to one of my saved auctions on My eBay, which is a pre-code horror book. Previously it would've been listed under collectibles-comics-golden age-horror.

Now at the top of the page it's listed like this:-  Collectibles - Comic Books & Memorabilia - Comics - Comics & Graphic Novels

•  

1 minute ago, goldust40 said:

@Get Marwood & I

Oh yeah, I went to one of my saved auctions on My eBay, which is a pre-code horror book. Previously it would've been listed under collectibles-comics-golden age-horror.

Now at the top of the page it's listed like this:-  Collectibles - Comic Books & Memorabilia - Comics - Comics & Graphic Novels

Then we storm the tower at nightfall!

Poxy eBay.

First managed payments, now this.

I'd do a William Wallace quote pastiche but I can't be bothered. And I'm not Scottish. Thankfully. 

3 minutes ago, piper said:

Sorry to hear this, but for the record, the Scottish people that I’ve met are some of the nicest folks you would ever want to meet. lol

Me too. I go to Scotland as often as I can - prior to the pandemic, I was going there every summer (Loch Lomond, Loch Ness, Edinburgh, etc.).

Plus as a Canadian you must have some Scots blood in your lineage...