• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ebay comic categories not working...
9 9

191 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, FlyingDonut said:

This is my listing page, as of 1:34 PM

Screen Shot 2021-05-11 at 1.33.31 PM.png

BTW now Gallery plus is automatically selected, unless you want make sure to uncheck that.

I am just going to click "Brand New" CGC books and when I sell a book in HG raw will just use "Like New"

Oh it gets worse. If you - like I do - reuse the same template every time, it is holding the old categories on the new listing. I just listed a Phantom Stranger 11 using that Spawn template, and it held the old categories - there's no way to clear them.

11 minutes ago, october said:

Clicking on anything in the sidebar just results in seeing that dumb kid with the hood for the 80th time this morning. 

I am noticing though when I click on "Auction" this does not appear anymore.  When I click on "All Listings" or "BIN" that side bar is there.

Screen Shot 2021-05-11 at 10.24.32 AM.png

Edited by NewWorldOrder

2 minutes ago, FlyingDonut said:

Oh it gets worse. If you - like I do - reuse the same template every time, it is holding the old categories on the new listing. I just listed a Phantom Stranger 11 using that Spawn template, and it held the old categories - there's no way to clear them.

hmmm yeah I will have to figure this out.  Listing 10 more CGC after I get back from my errands.  Will shoot you a PM on what I do.

I did my CGC search, and clicked Silver Age, and got 5 results, of which 4 are actually CGC'd items.  Sellers must be pulling out fast! lol

Yay, team! :golfclap:

Almost all of my searches are broken. One of my broken searches is my golden age comic search for church. This usually provided good results with one or two Edgar Church books every month. I have received 10 notifications this morning mostly for black dress shoes. After following the instructions listed here using the Era side bar category the results are as expected.

I guess I will use it as an opportunity to remove some books I have had in my saved searches for years.

36 minutes ago, Bludriver said:

I access ebay on my phone and I cannot filter for anything more specific than  "Comics & Graphic Novels". It is a waste for me now to search unless there is a specific book I want.

Yea - for the time being it will be slow for people that do not have the hot book of the week to draw in buyers.  Things do see to be a lot slower today then they have been in months.

OK, I've manged to list my first book using the new template.  It looks to me that they're trying to transition people away from searching by category and instead to searching by pro-forma'd item specifics that are consistent across Ebay.  The item specifics that you can enter have been expanded greatly and you can enter a lot more "standardized" info than before. This area also includes the comic ages, characters, artists, etc we're used to.  Also, when you select from their "non-comic" sensitive condition guide (eg, "brand new", "like new", "acceptable", etc.), it frees up the condition description section where you can insert a comic specific grade (NM, VF, FN, etc) and list out the positives and negatives of the book.  Think it's going to take some getting used to, but I'm not as panicked as I was before about it.  Also think listing is going to take longer than it used to, depending on how many of the new features you want to use.  Once people get used to searching by item specifics, I think it should enhance search capabilities... assuming sellers really take advantage of using them.  The sellers that do are likely to show up in more searches and therefore to sell more... which I'm sure is another reason why Ebay is going this way.    

12 minutes ago, EastEnd1 said:

Also think listing is going to take longer than it used to, depending on how many of the new features you want to use.  Once people get used to searching by item specifics, I think it should enhance search capabilities... assuming sellers really take advantage of using them.  The sellers that do are likely to show up in more searches and therefore to sell more... which I'm sure is another reason why Ebay is going this way.    

Is the comic age item mandatory for the seller? If not, my fear is that sellers won't use it, rendering my searches incomplete/useless. The nice thing about the gold/silver/bronze/etc categories was that a seller was essentially forced to pick one. 

11 minutes ago, EastEnd1 said:

OK, I've manged to list my first book using the new template.  It looks to me that they're trying to transition people away from searching by category and instead to searching by pro-forma'd item specifics that are consistent across Ebay.  The item specifics that you can enter have been expanded greatly and you can enter a lot more "standardized" info than before. This area also includes the comic ages, characters, artists, etc we're used to.  Also, when you select from their "non-comic" sensitive condition guide (eg, "brand new", "like new", "acceptable", etc.), it frees up the condition description section where you can insert a comic specific grade (NM, VF, FN, etc) and list out the positives and negatives of the book.  Think it's going to take some getting used to, but I'm not as panicked as I was before about it.  Also think listing is going to take longer than it used to, depending on how many of the new features you want to use.  Once people get used to searching by item specifics, I think it should enhance search capabilities... assuming sellers really take advantage of using them.  The sellers that do are likely to show up in more searches and therefore to sell more... which I'm sure is another reason why Ebay is going this way.    

I get they are trying to standardize things, probably to make their search engine more efficient.  But this new "5 point eBay grading scale" is just a copy/paste of what eBay previously used to describe traditional books' condition (note all the attention paid to dust jackets in defining those 5 levels).  They cannot be forcing every item on eBay from funko pops to kitchen gadgets into these same definitions.  Or if they are, then there must be room to customize on the page how to map their descriptions to the 10 point comics grading scale in use for decades.

3 minutes ago, october said:

Is the comic age item mandatory for the seller? If not, my fear is that sellers won't use it, rendering my searches incomplete/useless. The nice thing about the gold/silver/bronze/etc categories was that a seller was essentially forced to pick one. 

It must not be mandatory, because I had to edit about half of my existing listings to add the "era" to them, since it was missing.

2 minutes ago, october said:

At this point doesn't appear that it is (no red asterisk).  In fact, none of the item specifics appear to be mandatory right now, including the Publisher which used to be mandatory.  With time, Ebay will probably make some of them mandatory.  For the time being though, sellers are going to have to figure out for themselves that they are incentivized to complete as much of the item specifics as possible.. especially the comic age that you and many others (including me) will be searching under.

10 minutes ago, Zonker said:

I get they are trying to standardize things, probably to make their search engine more efficient.  But this new "5 point eBay grading scale" is just a copy/paste of what eBay previously used to describe traditional books' condition (note all the attention paid to dust jackets in defining those 5 levels).  They cannot be forcing every item on eBay from funko pops to kitchen gadgets into these same definitions.  Or if they are, then there must be room to customize on the page how to map their descriptions to the 10 point comics grading scale in use for decades.

Totally agree... that was one of my complaints when I called them.

19 minutes ago, EastEnd1 said:

Totally agree... that was one of my complaints when I called them.

You can leave the "condition" as the "-" option and then fill in further down. I echo @EastEnd1 here - I'm less panicked than I was earlier, but its just a pain and they're giving a solution in search of a problem.

9 hours ago, piper said:

Sorry to hear this, but for the record, the Scottish people that I’ve met are some of the nicest folks you would ever want to meet. lol

I'm Scottish, and I'm a delight.

Despite this, this does not preclude me from declaring ebay are complete greedy incompetent fookwits.  :sumo:

I have a feeling my sales will shrink now. As a buyer as well, I know that it will be a lot tougher to find things. Most of my searches now are useless.

I am hoping that ebay sees sales diminishing so they can go back to allowing searching by specific age. I don't see how creating listings with the new format is going to help buyers as ebay still does not allow you to filter anything more specific than "comics & graphic novels"