• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ebay comic categories not working...
9 9

191 posts in this topic

Today I got 60,000+ matches to my saved golden age romance search...

These are so beyond useless at this point. How do they not stop sending the emails when they broke the categories they are filtering by? I keep them for now to see where things are. Speaking of, my golden age "Thing 15" search has been returning many marvel comics instead...

I went to go check out if the situation is getting better and I keep getting this page when I hit the Bronze or Copper Comic tab.  So anyone who wants to look at Bronze books is doomed to go nowhere.  I hope everyone has the hot books of the week since that is the only books people will be willing to search for.

https://www.ebay.com/b/Copper-Age-Comics-1984-1991/165364/bn_2311990

2 hours ago, Doctor Dositheus said:

Now they've taken the CGC grade attributes out too so you can't filter by grade? Ebay really doesn't want to be in the comic book business anymore I guess.

I know it sticks, but to be honest, when searching, you can type in "cgc and the grade your looking for" as it should be in the listing title. Just an fyi in case ebay comes around with some deals still :shy: 

The era option worked for me late last night. Tried now and nothing. I can see that it will narrow the results down but click apply and nothing, same mass results showing every comic category.

22 minutes ago, I_Am_Not_A_Cat said:

The era option worked for me late last night. Tried now and nothing. I can see that it will narrow the results down but click apply and nothing, same mass results showing every comic category.

Yea - they do seem to be making some headway but it's going really slow.  I can now click on comics and it sends me to a jumbled comics and graphic novel area but at least I can see what has sold today which is nice.

When I first encountered these changes, it really threw me off...but I seem to be getting the hang of it now. I prefer to provide my own details in the description instead of messing with all those additional options/boxes/drop-down menus.

On 5/12/2021 at 3:34 AM, FlyingDonut said:

This is my listing page, as of 1:34 PM

Screen Shot 2021-05-11 at 1.33.31 PM.png

That has been ebay Australia for at least the last 8 years.

If in doubt I put 'acceptable' and list the defects in the description.

Its just changing your habits really.

If you want to go all CGC you can actually put a grade in under the photo section as per @NewWorldOrder  - item specifics.

Its all still there.

Edited by Beige

Here is an item I had listed before and after the change:

1BAE6308-3741-4F9C-99C3-BBEB9982DDAA.thumb.png.f47c8adbd43dfe93c440b3b43e8a6e08.png

They kept the Age and the other minimal item specifics I originally included. I didn’t have to update anything from a selling standpoint. When I click on the pencil to edit item specifics, it gives me an incredible array of options (age, grade, artist, writer, character, universe, cover artist and on and on), including the 10 point grading scale we all know and love. It didn’t force me to choose one of the “book grades”, even though it does have the “additional specifics are required” alert showing.

98FF5243-6A4D-4730-A51F-164E9FB70F7C.thumb.png.8c040da2cbe38d55f2bd281c9a19a210.png

4DDAF812-9BF0-46DE-A5E3-E75A17B49E50.png

3A7A9912-5905-4283-9556-298F86EB275D.png

80A89C66-6636-4AD0-87F1-4A942715A269.png

Has there ever been a perfectly efficient way to search for a particular cgc certified slab? Wouldn't trying to search by "silver bronze copper" potentially omit relevant results anyway? It seems like casting a wider net searching by (title, issue # then cgc/sorting the results by price) is the best way to catch everything. Yeah it will fetch irrelevant results that you'll have to scroll through but at least you're less likely to miss something that way.

One of the good things about subscribing to GPA is often times they link one or two Ebay listings for a particular book that for whatever reason never show up under any search criteria/terminology you attempt. I always check GPA for live listings just to make sure. Sometimes GPA shows nothing sometimes I find a "hidden" Ebay listing or sometimes find what I'm looking for somewhere other than Ebay

Edited by MGsimba77

3 hours ago, wormboy said:

When I click on the pencil to edit item specifics, it gives me an incredible array of options (age, grade, artist, writer, character, universe, cover artist and on and on),

Yeah I have noticed the new "artist/writer/cover artist" among a few other new specifics in the new listing process. There was also an MCU related item there as an option to check as I recall. 

5 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:

Yeah I have noticed the new "artist/writer/cover artist" among a few other new specifics in the new listing process. There was also an MCU related item there as an option to check as I recall. 

and I will argue all these new, more detailed attributes will get used and abused, ignored and mis-identified, and a year form now it will be a holy mess. The non-comic dealers,  the casual listers, pawn shops, listing services  don't really have the time or inclination to be product experts.  Again, eBay is pounding a square peg in a round hole with a screwdriver.  They want it to be like an orderly catalog, with very tight commodity and product definitions for these product widgets to neatly place them in the right bucket by size, shape, color, function, brand, manufacturer etc.  That's way too high an expectation to think crowdsourcing it via all the myriad types of listers will achieve that, without active category management. If they had machine learning behind it, to help analyze, steer and sift the products and their respective attributes, that would be one thing. I see no evidence of that whatsoever. The more complex the taxonomy, the more errors you will get.  I've seen products that now no longer appear in the seller's store or item list, yet they have active listings that you can access from old links that have become orphaned from their sellers page.  This is FUBAR.  

Edited by MyNameIsLegion

“We should all applaud eBay for being an equal opportunity employer (EOE) and hiring people with obvious learning disabilities to make decisions on how to run a company.” :applause:

That was part of my email to them a couple of days ago when I figured the search issue was no longer a glitch but the new normal on a site in decline. At this point, I’m convinced they’ve slowly been infiltrated by individuals trying to sabotage what was once good to destroy it from within...kind of like HYDRA infiltrating S.H.I.E.L.D