• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I’m a Relatively New eBay Seller and I believe A buyer may be attempting to Scam me. Advice?
1 1

61 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, NewWorldOrder said:

It's on file with USPS.

From your earlier posts......If I sent you a $1000 book and the USPS tracking says it was "delivered-left with individual," how is the seller at fault?

What do you want me to do about it?  (shrug)

Fraud or no fraud seller its done from my end.  

Only scam that is left is the buyer opens up a "item not as "described" and return an empty box then eBay will have to side with someone.   

Ebay says use sig confirm for $750 and over. I agree, what else can you do? But the buyer is out $800 if the postman self signed and misread the address, leaving it blocks away? The buyer didn't even buy the insurance, can they make a claim? That seems wrong too.

On 5/11/2021 at 2:21 PM, 1koko said:

Happened to me once.

Had won a book at Heritage was home waiting for delivery when the Mail came confirming it had been delivered.  
I was panicking as it was the most I had ever spent on a book and didn’t have the book.  
Phoned FedEx, phoned Heritage with little help.

Half an hour later the neighbour knocked on the door holding the package.  It seems that I hadn’t heard the knocking so they had left it with the neighbour.

That is one great neighbor for sure...

17 minutes ago, the blob said:

Ebay says use sig confirm for $750 and over. I agree, what else can you do? But the buyer is out $800 if the postman self signed and misread the address, leaving it blocks away? The buyer didn't even buy the insurance, can they make a claim? That seems wrong too.

Not the seller's problem.  Buyer would have to prove to the PO that they are at fault.

More often than not the buyer is in fact lying.

Pretty sure most sellers wouldn't just blindly believe any buyer where tracking show delivered, especially signed and delivered.  

Since 1999 I probably have done 15,000+ auction sales on eBay.  Only can think of 3 times were this happened.  eBay sided with me every-time with confirmed tracking and or signed tracking.

1. eBay buyer moved and didn't inform me or eBay= not my problem

2. eBay buyer said someone stole the package off his property = not my problem

3. eBay buyer said he never signed for the package and the package showed signed & delivered by him = not my problem

I agree as a seller I should always work with a buyer for a positive experience even where there are unexpected problems, however for confirmed tracking not a chance.  I dont believe anyone. File a compliant with USPS because on my end everything looks correct. 

Edited by NewWorldOrder

1 minute ago, NewWorldOrder said:

Not the seller's problem.  Buyer would have to prove to the PO that they are at fault.

Pretty sure most sellers wouldn't just blindly believe any buyer where tracking show delivered, especially signed and delivered.  

Since 1999 I probably have done 15,000+ auction sales on eBay.  Only can think of 3 times were this happened.  eBay sided with me every-time with confirmed tracking and or signed tracking.

2. eBay buyer said someone stole the package off this properly = not my problem

3. eBay buyer said he never signed for the package and the package showed signed & delivered by him = not my problem

I agree as a seller I should always work with a buyer for a positive experience even where there is problems, however for tracking not a chance.  I dont believe anyone. File a compliant with USPS because on my end everything looks correct. 

Agreed. Been with ebay since 2013 and a similar situation happened once. As long as you stay on top of it with ebay and PP if you use them as well, it should work out in your favor fwiw.

1 minute ago, CHASEnBLUE said:

Agreed. Been with ebay since 2013 and a similar situation happened once. As long as you stay on top of it with ebay and PP if you use them as well, it should work out in your favor fwiw.

Again I dont mean leave the buyer high and dry but when it comes to tracking even if I wanted to believe them insurance wouldn't pay out unless the buyer then lies and says the item was damaged etc

As much as we complain about buyers and sellers on eBay the vast majority of people on eBay are great and easy to deal with!

Where on the west coast are you?

Just now, NewWorldOrder said:

Again I dont mean leave the buyer high and dry but when it comes to tracking even if I wanted to believe them insurance wouldn't pay out unless the buyer then lies and says the item was damaged etc

As much as we complain about buyers and sellers on eBay the vast majority of people on eBay are great and easy to deal with!

Where on the west coast are you?

Monterey County, CA

And I have had drama on a few occasions with my local PO. Have had comics delivered in the wrong mailbox, missing, left at the wrong address, etc. When I start calling they know by now they have to have answers! 

2 minutes ago, NewWorldOrder said:

Nice I am in Huntington Beach

Nice to meet you. Originally from Long Beach... :)

Moved to the valley (Merced) when I was about 12 or so and been in Monterey County since 1996.

Edited by CHASEnBLUE

On 5/13/2021 at 2:15 AM, NewWorldOrder said:

2. eBay buyer said someone stole the package off his property = not my problem

I agree as a seller I should always work with a buyer for a positive experience even where there are unexpected problems, however for confirmed tracking not a chance.  I dont believe anyone. File a compliant with USPS because on my end everything looks correct. 

So do we even need signed confirmation if ebay will side with you if there is delivery confirmation with tracking ?

On 5/13/2021 at 2:14 AM, CHASEnBLUE said:

That is one great neighbor for sure...

What neighbor would not do that? I live in Brooklyn where we are all supposedly horrible humans and I can't think of any of my neighbors who wouldn't.

2 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

So do we even need signed confirmation if ebay will side with you if there is delivery confirmation with tracking ?

Not for $750 or over. I forgot to do SS on a $750 package and ebay told me I was SOOL despite tracking and delivery confirmation.

12 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

Really?? @NewWorldOrder same with you?

it is somewhere in the ebay or paypal rules. The package was late. The guy filed his complaint. The item arrived with confirmation. I told ebay "look, he got it", they said no SS, no good, and forced the refund of $750 or whatever it was (maybe $800), which I did not agree with. It pretty much ended a selling account that had like 1500 100% positive feedback (the guy did not even leave a neg and his e-mails pretty much implied he got the package and that he would pay me what he decided they were "worth" and then never paid anything (t was a grab bag lot).

3 hours ago, the blob said:

it is somewhere in the ebay or paypal rules. The package was late. The guy filed his complaint. The item arrived with confirmation. I told ebay "look, he got it", they said no SS, no good, and forced the refund of $750 or whatever it was (maybe $800), which I did not agree with. It pretty much ended a selling account that had like 1500 100% positive feedback (the guy did not even leave a neg and his e-mails pretty much implied he got the package and that he would pay me what he decided they were "worth" and then never paid anything (t was a grab bag lot).

Yes anything over $750 someone can commit fraud with no signature even if tracking says "delivered." 

Basically someone can do it once and get away with it, 2nd time eBay then questions it.

9 minutes ago, NewWorldOrder said:

Anything I sell over $500 I get a signature.  Plus if an item is worth over $500.01 just add insurance to it because you automatically get a signature required, etc.

I would think with insured packages the postal worker would be less prone to sign themselves and leave in random spots. people are gonna file claims.

6 hours ago, the blob said:

I would think with insured packages the postal worker would be less prone to sign themselves and leave in random spots. people are gonna file claims.

During covid most postal workers just sign and leave them.  Fine for the seller, bad for the buyer.

39 minutes ago, serling1978 said:

The boards are yanking me hard to the bottom.

Why do I keep refreshing the page? See above. 

Finally someone cares enough to respond.  Thx.