• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is any comic graded a 9.8 or higher worth $1000?
1 1

25 posts in this topic

Isn't the contents of a comic book more important than the grade? I am getting tired of seeing comics on Ebay and elsewhere that are graded a 9.8 or higher on sale for at least $1000 and they are of absolutely no importance whatsoever. You are just paying for the grade of a nothing special comic. Is this what CGC intended? Next time I set up for a show, should I just have blank 9.8, 9.9, and 10 slabs on my wall and sell them for $1000 a pop because the comic is not important.

I would much rather buy a mid grade first appearence or origin issue than a nothing 9.8 comic.

What do you all think?

23 minutes ago, Bo_Hogg1 said:

Isn't the contents of a comic book more important than the grade? I am getting tired of seeing comics on Ebay and elsewhere that are graded a 9.8 or higher on sale for at least $1000 and they are of absolutely no importance whatsoever. You are just paying for the grade of a nothing special comic. Is this what CGC intended? Next time I set up for a show, should I just have blank 9.8, 9.9, and 10 slabs on my wall and sell them for $1000 a pop because the comic is not important.

I would much rather buy a mid grade first appearence or origin issue than a nothing 9.8 comic.

What do you all think?

CGC intended to make money off of the market demanding an "impartial" assignation of a numerical grade to their beloved collectibles.  Pretty simple.

6 hours ago, Bo_Hogg1 said:

What do you all think?

Different strokes for different folks

Some collect for the contents, some collect for investment purposes....the true value of something is what someone will pay for it.

I doubt the owners realized their little company would one day dictate back issue sales. CGC doesn't claim that the assigned grade is absolute; only that their graders follow the standards set up by Overstreet. Its primary purpose is supposed to be determining whether restoration has been done and find other flaws. The sealed plastic case serves as protection. The number on the label is really just a bonus. For years, collectors understood that there was no such thing as a guaranteed grade, but that has shifted to where not only is the CGC-assigned grade "official", their competition is somehow viewed as risky or inferior in the process of grading a comic. The graders for these companies are trained in-house over a relatively short period of time. They aren't graduates from a 4-year intensive grading college with the companies fighting over the top achievers. Most probably started in another position and wanted a better one. The nice shiny clear holders with the fancy label and a bar code allowing a registry to be kept, and a big, bold number between 0-10 turn a flimsy periodical into something that looks "official", but it's only an illusion. There are too many variables and inconsistencies to consider the assigned grade as being perfect.

It’s crazy. 

Each to their own of course but I’d never slab a book from my collection even though I’d undoubtedly substantially increase the value. 

I buy comics because I love them and I still pull them out to read and admire the whole thing. It’d be like buying a vinyl record but never listening to the music. 

only my opinion of course. 

31 minutes ago, The lips said:

It’s crazy. 

Each to their own of course but I’d never slab a book from my collection even though I’d undoubtedly substantially increase the value. 

I buy comics because I love them and I still pull them out to read and admire the whole thing. It’d be like buying a vinyl record but never listening to the music. 

You can actually do both. I have graded comics that I also have raw versions of. 

36 minutes ago, The lips said:

It’s crazy. 

Admittedly the threshold might be different for everyone, but at some point if the vinyl was valuable enough you might consider not playing it any more right? 

9 hours ago, Bo_Hogg1 said:

What do you all think?

My first thought was that they aren't, and my second thought was that this is an interesting topic to be started by somebody who values something else (rarity) over content.

First off Lazyboy thank you for being an admirer of my rare collection and second I value rare contents. There are many many rare comics that I could buy but they are not interesting in any way whatsoever. I only purchase very comics that are cool to me because of the contents and I think they would be cool to someone else. There are lots of promotional comics that nobody has but they have no rewarding quality to them so I stay away from those. So I am and always will be about content.

However, I do sometimes buy slabbed book but I will NEVER submit one of my books to be slabbed.

45 minutes ago, Randall Ries said:

images-1.jpg

Such an iconic book in many respects.  It has kneel atoms, the beetles, and the 'paul is dead' urban legend that was big at the time.  Had it at one time-out of my price range now.  One of the urban legends was paul's body was used as a caveman exhibit under refrigeration at fairs and damned if there wasnt such an exhibit at the state fair that year-gave me the creeps.

2 hours ago, Bo_Hogg1 said:

I agree but the cover is part of the contents.

I always saw the contents as insides. The contents of a cereal box. The contents of a can of soup. The contents of the dead Elvis Presley's stomach were poured down a drain. I always saw the contents of a comic book as the story and pages contained by a cover.

3 hours ago, Randall Ries said:

Sometimes the content is mediocre but the covers are cool.

images.jpg

images-1.jpg

images-2.jpg

00149102398000112003063008.jpg

Was just thinking the same thing 

7 hours ago, revat said:

Admittedly the threshold might be different for everyone, but at some point if the vinyl was valuable enough you might consider not playing it any more right? 

No I’d play it but just be cautious. As an example, 2 nights ago I read ASM 300 to my little boy as his bed time story. He loves Venom and the drawings so I’m perfectly happy to use the book for it’s intended purpose  

My own personal view is that by encapsulating something away, you’re paying a slight disservice to the writer and artist who’ve put a lot of work, skill and effort into something to just be closed off and not enjoyed. 

again, I fully appreciate I may be in the minority on this and it’s just my opinion.