• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Promise Collection
3 3

154 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Although there's been some comments from the non-pedigree crowd with respect to coded markings on the book and dust shadows which I personally don't have that much concern with, it's really more about the damaged corners, edge tears, and impacted staple areas and tears that the graders seem to be giving a free pass to relative to the assigned grades (for some of the books) which I am much more concerned about.  :(

Although I am sure the majority of the collection should HOPEFULLY be graded within the bottom portion of their acceptable grading range, it's just the really obvious and blatent overgrades that now puts the overall grading of this whole collection into question.  Heck, I would love to bid on some of these books here, but now it's up to ME to be really taking a much much closer look than normal at these books, which is not the easiest thing to do since we have only the cover scans to work from, and not the actual book in hand.  :frustrated:  :censored:

Those overgrades really do suck. I totally agree it makes you really look at every book you might be interested in and examine them until you think they are trash or treasure. Too bad they are not using CVA :whistle:

33 minutes ago, Badger said:

They are not supposed to be but it does go back into my whole, "If you love comics and you've graded a couple of hundred of these your grading skills may become forgiving over time." Not the way it is supposed to work but it may have. lol 

Yeah, this is sort of getting closer to what I really meant, but probably works more like this:  hm  (shrug)

Boy, I am getting tired and my eyes really need a break here, but not quite sure about this pedigree book here as clearly evident by its code, but hmmm.................since I also don't want to be seen by my boss as a potential bad grader and this is a pedigree and hence must be good, so UP you go.  :banana:

Boy, I am getting tired and my eyes really need a break here, but not quite sure about this nice looking HG book here, but hmmmm...................since I want to be seen as a good grader by my boss and a good grader must be a tough grader, so DOWN you go.  :censored:

Edited by lou_fine

2 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Yeah, this is sort of getting closer to what I really meant, but probably works more like this:  hm  (shrug)

Boy, I am getting tired and my eyes really need a break here, but not quite sure about this pedigree book here as clearly evident by its code, but hmmm............since I also don't want to be seen by my boss as a potential bad grader and this is a pedigree, so UP you go.  :banana:

Boy, I am getting tired and my eyes really need a break here, but not quite sure about this nice looking HG book here, but hmmmm...................since I want to be seen as a good grader by my boss and a good grader must be a tough grader, so DOWN you go.  :censored:

Exactly! There really needs to be a hand shaking back slappin' emoji.

..c'mon really, in all honesty the so reference to "conflict of interest" is certainly one to be given strong consideration too, but with all due respect did the majority of you supporting these over grades even bother to have a look? I really give a rats _ss of who's involved with whomever but really? Amazing Mysteries #33 9.4, Phantom Lady 13, 17, 23 ?, All American #61? the prementioned with white pages? see the borders? bring it!!

Just now, nooncee said:

..c'mon really, in all honesty the so reference to "conflict of interest" is certainly one to be given strong consideration too, but with all due respect did the majority of you supporting these over grades even bother to have a look? I really give a rats _ss of who's involved with whomever but really? Amazing Mysteries #33 9.4, Phantom Lady 13, 17, 23 ?, All American #61? the prementioned with white pages? see the borders? bring it!!

just to name a few of the majority..

8 hours ago, Badger said:

There are roughly 270 books currently listed. I am aware of what, 15, shown on the boards with very questionable grading? I'm sure there are others but, no, it is not nearly all of the books.

Yes, it is nearly all of the books. I have looked at most of the books on HA—all of the books that had been posted as of yesterday afternoon—not just the ones posted here.

14 hours ago, nooncee said:

The All-American 61 says off-white to white pages. Also are you saying those are examples of over graded books, or just the page quality you’re taking into account?

Edited by LDarkseid1

On 5/12/2021 at 9:42 AM, Badger said:

There are roughly 270 books currently listed. I am aware of what, 15, shown on the boards with very questionable grading? I'm sure there are others but, no, it is not nearly all of the books.

Would your short list of 15 that you are aware of include this CCS "mouse chewed" copy of Subby 23 here:  :fear:  :devil:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/sub-mariner-comics-23-the-promise-collection-pedigree-timely-1947-cgc-vf-85-off-white-to-white-pages/p/7244-175249.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Sub-Mariner Comics #23 The Promise Collection Pedigree (Ti...

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Sub-Mariner Comics #23 The Promise Collection Pedigree (Ti...

Or this CGC 9.6 graded copy of Punch Comics 19 since I never realized all of these staple issues and spine crapola was allowed on a CGC 9.6:  :fear:  :devil:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/punch-comics-19-the-promise-collection-pedigree-chesler-1946-cgc-nm-96-off-white-to-white-pages/p/7244-175062.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

lf?set=path%5B2%2F4%2F0%2F7%2F6%2F24076021%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

Edited by lou_fine

12 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Yep, I would have graded it around a 7.5 although this one does hold up my other point which is that the books are so steller otherwise, beyond usually one glaring problem, that the graders are having a tough time figuring out where it falls. This book would probably be at least a 9.6 and maybe a 9.8 without that corner gone. So, try to find 27 or more books that have major problems like this one. I'll wait.:taptaptap:  Not books where you will nitpick and downgrade half a grade but books that are off by one grade or more.

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

Or this CGC 9.6 graded copy of Punch Comics 19 since I never realized all of these staple issues and spine crapola was allowed on a CGC 9.6:  :fear:  :devil:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/punch-comics-19-the-promise-collection-pedigree-chesler-1946-cgc-nm-96-off-white-to-white-pages/p/7244-175062.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

lf?set=path%5B2%2F4%2F0%2F7%2F6%2F24076021%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

Sorry, but I do not see what you are talking about. I see a spine that due to gloss is hyper reflective due to the light box Heritage is using. The things going on with the staples, maybe tears, maybe color breaking stress, I think are stress that outside the light box are much less intrusive. Again, I suspect, I have not held these books in hand, that they are so glossy that your normal critiques from scan/picture are not working. This book, in hand, would blow your lou_fine mind. I'll also add that this book would be one of the highlights of my collection if I could afford it. Absolutely stunning.

Edited by Badger

1 hour ago, Badger said:

The things going on with the staples, maybe tears, maybe color breaking stress, I think are stress that outside the light box are much less intrusive. Again, I suspect, I have not held these books in hand, that they are so glossy that your normal critiques from scan/picture are not working

I'm very curious to see what people say about how these look in hand if anyone gets the chance to see them.  Really bright scans can certainly bring out bends and creases etc. that you can't even see with your naked eye.  The one time I forked out 5$ to have CGC to do the scanned image of a favorite book of mine I had slabbed, well when I got the pic before the book arrived back I was put into a panic thinking they had mangled my book, but then when I got it in hand it looked as it had when I sent it in.  1st pic is the CGC scan, 2nd pic is my photo and even when I hold this up really close in hand, or no matter how I rotate it, I can't make it look as bad as the CGC scan did.  So, maybe thats the case with a few of these Promise books like the Punch 19, maybe some of the apparent ticking around the spine isnt so visible.  Again, would love to hear from anyone who got to see them in hand.

APC6cgc7front.jpg

APC6cgc7.jpg

..other than the bit of a black color "bleed"? down from the D and E in Blonde and the slight corner nicks on the top and bottom right I can live with the grade although I would have liked to see "white pages" with the 9.8..still an awesome book as many in this collection are..

..on the Punch 19 I'm a bit more critical on the assigned grade of 9.6, I note spine, corner as well as obvious staple wear, and I'm unsure if that's a crease running down into the top of the "P" or not and once again the "off white to white pages" I'm also noticing with many of the books the small portion of the page color running down the extreme right side appear to be browning not the off white to white

Edited by nooncee

I think alot of the books people are complaining about seem graded just fine to me lol. I mean we're talking 5,000 books so I get where some here and there may feel under or over graded. That's going to happen, even with the small amount graded so far but yeah I don't know. I think the grades on the whole are fine.

Edited by LDarkseid1