• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Promise Collection
3 3

154 posts in this topic

On 5/16/2021 at 8:17 AM, Spyder! said:

Seems pretty obvious that these are production related 

hard to tell if this is just bad sarcasm, but unless the mouse was eating the top left corner of the book while it was being printed, it's clearly not production related. i do think it's still an amazing book, as do most of us in this thread. but the fact is that the grades on several of these look really wrong given cgc's guidelines and history. given the potential conflict of interest here, i would have hoped they'd be more circumspect about the grades given to some of these books. still happy to buy some if they were at the right price, but we all know they wont be, thanks to the pedigree and the publicity. 

1 hour ago, alexgross.com said:

hard to tell if this is just bad sarcasm, but unless the mouse was eating the top left corner of the book while it was being printed, it's clearly not production related. i do think it's still an amazing book, as do most of us in this thread. but the fact is that the grades on several of these look really wrong given cgc's guidelines and history. given the potential conflict of interest here, i would have hoped they'd be more circumspect about the grades given to some of these books. still happy to buy some if they were at the right price, but we all know they wont be, thanks to the pedigree and the publicity. 

Not being sarcastic at all. On the submariner 14, that doesn’t look like mouse chew to me at all, but like a production defect.

10 hours ago, alexgross.com said:

still happy to buy some if they were at the right price, but we all know they wont be, thanks to the pedigree and the publicity, but most of all, thanks to the gift grades from CGC which the label chasers will passionately outbid one another for, regardless of the actual defects on the underlying book itself.  :devil:

Okay, no need to thank me, but fixed that for you anyways, so that it's now a much more accurate statement and reflection of what's to come.  (thumbsu

Edited by lou_fine

On 5/14/2021 at 7:19 AM, tth2 said:
On 5/14/2021 at 7:14 AM, adamstrange said:
On 5/13/2021 at 10:25 PM, Dr. Love said:
Suspense Comics 5 8.0
Suspense Comics 6 9.6
Suspense Comics 7 9.4
Suspense Comics 8 9.2
Suspense Comics 9 9.4
Suspense Comics 10 9.4
Suspense Comics 11 9.8
Suspense Comics 12 9.6
Expand  

Would be very interesting to know the 1 - 4 grades.

Expand  

1     9.8

2     9.8

3     9.9

4     9.8

:whatthe:

Thanks for that.  I had been trying to find the grades on the #1 through 4.

I'd also love to know the grades on:

Suspense #0

Suspense #nn Ashcan

Suspense #11 newsstand variant

On 5/16/2021 at 9:42 AM, jimjum12 said:
On 5/16/2021 at 9:25 AM, batman_fan said:

CGC has had a well known history of inconsistent grading basically since day 1.  Shouldn't comes as a surprise to anyone but for anyone that isn't aware of CGC's history on grading

1.  Grading is inconsistent.  They go through periods of being strict and being lax.  Watch the boards to find out what their current trend is.

2.  CGC misses restoration

3.  CGC sees restoration where there is none

4.  Taking a book apart is not restoration

5.  Pressing is not restoration

6. Using non-archival tape to reattach a cover is not restoration and can boost the grade

7. Using archival tape to reattach a cover is restoration.

Expand  

This kind of talk is going to make new collectors want their Mommas .... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

... most of those pieces out are being deemed "bindery chips", which CGC has considered production related since day one. For me, if it looks ugly, I consider it a defect and bid accordingly .... but then, I'm more a lover of 50's books, where you have to decide if you want a copy shaped like a trapezoid or no copy at all.

That is correct.  Many of the pieces out are definitely considered bindery chips, and yes, CGC has considered that production-related for a very long time.  If some people don't like that, or disagree with that, they should have complained about it a long time ago.  And I mean, a long time ago.  To complain about it now just sounds like sour grapes.

On 5/17/2021 at 10:06 AM, Bird said:
On 5/17/2021 at 6:00 AM, buttock said:

Do you have a link to Satan's website?  I'm trying to find a few books to fill holes in my runs.  

satan going to fill yer holes, eh?

and even while you're on the run.