• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

KIRBY Thor #126 battle page how much

57 posts in this topic

I have been offered a Kirby battle page from Thor #126 but i really don't have too much of an idea as to what is a fair price. I have looked in the Heritage archives but that really has not been that much of a help. They have 1 large splash page and 1 non battle page but this is a page where the 5/6 panels have Thor and Hercules fighting one another. That's about all the info i can give so as to not let the source of the Original Art know i am making enquires.        

I agree you should be able to make inquiries. However I also understand the seller possibly getting a bit ticked off if you post an image to a public forum.

Do you have any trusted friends?

I know 126 is a key and all, but I would simply find another comparable battle page from a twice up issue of similar vintage and use that as your starting point. Does Hercules carry that much a premium over say Ulik or the Absorbing Man?

1 hour ago, aokartman said:

I assume the seller is aware they have a $10K page, at least.  You should determine how much of a premium you might pay above that, for whatever reason.  My thoughts, David

More like $25k. 

1 hour ago, Justin Case said:

$25K really? I was thinking of offering between $10K - $15K. Now im thinking he might find my offer insulting.

10-15K sounds low if 5 of the 6 panels contain Thor battling Hercules.  I mean, this is Thor #1 we're talking about and a worthy battle sequence, right?

1 hour ago, Justin Case said:

$25K really? I was thinking of offering between $10K - $15K. Now im thinking he might find my offer insulting.

Does the seller want to sell it, or is it a keeper page for him but he's inviting you to blow him away with an offer to pry it loose? If it's the former (and he's not taking multiple offers, best offer wins), then ask for a price. Otherwise, you're kinda just spinning your wheels.

1 hour ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

More like $25k. 

A 70’s Kirby FF page with the team on it is ~$9K-$10K. 

a classic, early Kirby Thor vs Herc battle page from Thor #126? There are some doozies in that book. If it’s one of the better ones, $25K seems about right. Maybe $20k if you’re lucky. 

There is a thread (on page 2 now), where the heavy lifters here came up with general market values for A quality pages. What you’re describing sounds like a possible A page, imo. The Journey into Mystery range was 20-30k. Thor was 10-20K. Yours is the first Thor, which I think gives it a slight premium. It’s also pretty awesome key issue. I’m not as well-versed as other people here, but I agree with about a 20-25k valuation. You could start with $20,000, and give yourself some space to counter if they hesitate? It shouldn’t be an insulting offer, and the page seems to possibly be on a valuation cusp, imo.

HA.com has a JIM 2X battle page, 121 at $19k and a non-action page from 126 @ $9k recently - would suggest your page is $20K+ as folks suggest...that said, HA.com has a large spread so you might be able to split that with the seller.

Sounds like a nice find to me!

11 hours ago, stinkininkin said:

Does the seller want to sell it, or is it a keeper page for him but he's inviting you to blow him away with an offer to pry it loose? If it's the former (and he's not taking multiple offers, best offer wins), then ask for a price. Otherwise, you're kinda just spinning your wheels.

Probably closer to the latter. A page where if i make him a good fair offer he will sell but if not he doesn't mind keeping hold of it.

2 hours ago, Justin Case said:

Probably closer to the latter. A page where if i make him a good fair offer he will sell but if not he doesn't mind keeping hold of it.

It’s a sellers market. An average offer on a key issue with a battle sequence will probably be rejected. Sounds like he’s fine keeping what he’s already got!

Assume your phasing "I have been offered.....", sounds like the person is willing to sell. Start at $15k and let him reject it. Say that both of you should benefit by not paying auction fees (which at Heritage could be 40%) and no sales tax (which HA charges). If you are anywhere in the ballpark, he will most likely counter.

I myself would prefer to have a JIM page, and wouldn't put too much of a premium on Thor #126. Comic books, that matters more, but in OA, the quality of the page would mean a lot more. If it was the first issue with Hercules, sure, big premium, if not, just another issue (that's just my opinion).

And without trying to be a stick in the mud, Kirby pages come along all the time. I wouldn't "overpay" for his art unless it was something special. Hercules is a third tier character (IMO) and I would much prefer to have a Loki scene.:juggle:

Having just taken a swing through the book to see what you're talking about, the action is pretty great, the inks are pretty awful (I am not an automatic Vinnie basher -  I have a couple of 5-star Thor pages he inked), and it's a classic issue but holy cats there shouldn't be a premium on the art just because the logo changed. The question I have is whether this is one of those pages where Jack chose, for whatever reason to not show Thor's face. I've noticed in Thor battle pages, in particular, Jack often kept us from seeing his expression. No idea what was up with that (genius is hard sometimes) but he did it in this issue a few times. That would impact my valuation.

Edited by glendgold