• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

KIRBY Thor #126 battle page how much

57 posts in this topic

32 minutes ago, glendgold said:

The question I have is whether this is one of those pages where Jack chose, for whatever reason to not show Thor's face. I've noticed in Thor battle pages, in particular, Jack often kept us from seeing his expressioon. No idea what was up with that (genius is hard sometimes) but he did it in this issue a few times. That would impact my valuation.

Are you sure Vince didn't just erase it? Haw, haw, haw!

1 hour ago, glendgold said:

The question I have is whether this is one of those pages where Jack chose, for whatever reason to not show Thor's face.

I don't know that issue.  But isn't it a John Buscema trope to show figures from behind ?  Boom !!  There's an explosion.  You see the figure from behind.

Edited by Will_K

22 hours ago, glendgold said:

Having just taken a swing through the book to see what you're talking about, the action is pretty great, the inks are pretty awful (I am not an automatic Vinnie basher -  I have a couple of 5-star Thor pages he inked), and it's a classic issue but holy cats there shouldn't be a premium on the art just because the logo changed. The question I have is whether this is one of those pages where Jack chose, for whatever reason to not show Thor's face. I've noticed in Thor battle pages, in particular, Jack often kept us from seeing his expressioon. No idea what was up with that (genius is hard sometimes) but he did it in this issue a few times. That would impact my valuation.

Well there are some panels where you dont see Thor's face because he is standing with his back to the reader or Hercules has his weapon raised from a side on position if thats what you mean. 

Thank you for going to the effort of putting those pages up and explaining what to look for. yes the pic on the left is a better page than the one on the right for sure. However when you say the one on the right is nowhere near $25K(and i agree) is there really that much of a difference in price.  

5 hours ago, J.Sid said:

Here is why it's tough to discuss this without seeing the actual page. Below are two pages from the issue (NOT saying either one is the page this thread is about)

Both are 5-panel all-out action pages from Thor 126. The one on the left is likely a $25k page, the other is not even close.

• One has Thor's face in several panels. One doesn't show his face in any panel.

• Thor swinging his hammer > Thor punching  (there are collectors who would not be interested in the 2nd page because Mjolnir is not on it.)

Thor.thumb.jpg.f42c584ad151346faaef8685703d3d2f.jpg

Right! And the page to the right was one I was going to post once I shook off my general jaded laziness. That's what I mean about Thor's face. For some reason, Jack would do that in fight scenes - not necessary showing him from behind, just having his face obscured, for multiple panels. There are plenty of other examples and I'd post them but see sentence #1.

On 5/12/2021 at 12:37 PM, glendgold said:

Having just taken a swing through the book to see what you're talking about, the action is pretty great, the inks are pretty awful (I am not an automatic Vinnie basher -  I have a couple of 5-star Thor pages he inked), and it's a classic issue but holy cats there shouldn't be a premium on the art just because the logo changed. The question I have is whether this is one of those pages where Jack chose, for whatever reason to not show Thor's face. I've noticed in Thor battle pages, in particular, Jack often kept us from seeing his expressioon. No idea what was up with that (genius is hard sometimes) but he did it in this issue a few times. That would impact my valuation.

It had nothing to do with "genius" - it was no doubt a simple matter of economy.  He didn't waste time drawing face detail if he could help it.  That takes time and time is/was money.  With the amount of pages he was pumping out you can hardly blame him.

On 5/13/2021 at 11:23 AM, Justin Case said:

Thank you for going to the effort of putting those pages up and explaining what to look for. yes the pic on the left is a better page than the one on the right for sure. However when you say the one on the right is nowhere near $25K(and i agree) is there really that much of a difference in price.  

Think of it this way: I have a Kirby Thor page. I like it a lot. It's really good. 

If the page on the left came up at auction I would absolutely try to sell mine to try to "trade up" into the "A" page. Or just win the page and consign mine towards it after I win.

Not so much the one on the left. I like it if it falls to me at the right price, but I'm not going to scramble to try to make it mine.

On 5/13/2021 at 10:32 AM, J.Sid said:

Here is why it's tough to discuss this without seeing the actual page. Below are two pages from the issue (NOT saying either one is the page this thread is about)

Both are 5-panel all-out action pages from Thor 126. The one on the left is likely a $25k page, the other is not even close.

• One has Thor's face in several panels. One doesn't show his face in any panel.

• Thor swinging his hammer > Thor punching  (there are collectors who would not be interested in the 2nd page because Mjolnir is not on it.)

Thor.thumb.jpg.f42c584ad151346faaef8685703d3d2f.jpg

by far I like the page on the left

Justin I’m thinking you better make an offer soon. This site is great and you’ve gotten some pretty accurate market values without members seeing the page.

Your seller likely is aware of this chat board. If you’re serious make the offer already. You’re going to lose the opportunity. Make a strong offer and be ready if the seller accepts or counters.

If you’ve described the page accurately then you’re in the $20-25K range. The splash for 127 offered at $55K. Pages from the 126 arc are highly sought after. This is maybe the best Thor story ever told. That’s why in particular these are hard pages to get now.

Seize the page!!!

20 minutes ago, grapeape said:

Justin I’m thinking you better make an offer soon. This site is great and you’ve gotten some pretty accurate market values without members seeing the page.

Your seller likely is aware of this chat board. If you’re serious make the offer already. You’re going to lose the opportunity. Make a strong offer and be ready if the seller accepts or counters.

If you’ve described the page accurately then you’re in the $20-25K range. The splash for 127 offered at $55K. Pages from the 126 arc are highly sought after. This is maybe the best Thor story ever told. That’s why in particular these are hard pages to get now.

Seize the page!!!

I'm going to slightly disagree with "make a strong offer".

Going back to what I said before, the OP said, "I have been offered....". It doesn't sound like, "I asked someone if they would sell a piece, they said probably not, but if you want to make me an offer I can't refuse, well I might sell. 

My point is start at a "reasonable price", once again I would go with $15k and let the Seller say no. Either he counters or doesn't. If he doesn't counter, I would assume that if you offered a higher price, he would still acknowledge your offer. I had several sales where the first offer ended up being only 50% (or less) than what we ended up agreeing to. 

Lastly, and this is my opinion only, but I would not feel the need to jump on any Kirby art unless it was a "first appearance" page or just had so much nostalgia for the buyer. At the right price, sure, but there is lots of supply.zzz

It depends on the motivation. 
And why was our OP picked out “been offered” the page? My guess is the OP  either inquired about the page or maybe put it out there he was looking.

So motivation.

If the potential seller really made the first move, then I agree starting smaller won’t hurt.

If in fact the OP has failed to mention that he in fact was in the market for this page, or a page from this story arc, then the advantage swings to the seller. A weak offer may kill the deal.

I must repeat that this story arc is well sought after by knowledgeable collectors. The number of available Kirby pages is irrelevant unless the OP would take any action page featuring Thor from any Kirby issue or just wants a Kirby action page from any comic.

So what’s your motivation Justin Case?

Is this a grail page?

Did you put it out (mark yourself) that you were looking for something like this?

Did the seller really contact you first?

Either way I hope you get it. It’s made for a fun (mysterious) discussion. 

Here are some no-face Thor examples. There are plenty of others. I feel like he was doing this on purpose but I have no idea what it was. Since Jack grew up beating the daylights out of other guys,  and in adulthood saw all kind of hand-to-hand combat, I always look for what kind of experience he brings to fight scenes. Battle being so intense it overwhelms your identity?  No idea.  But it's a motif for some reason.

IMG_4536.jpg

IMG_4537.jpg

IMG_4538.jpg

IMG_4539.jpg

IMG_4550.jpg

On 5/14/2021 at 4:20 PM, pemart1966 said:

It had nothing to do with "genius" - it was no doubt a simple matter of economy.  He didn't waste time drawing face detail if he could help it.  That takes time and time is/was money.  With the amount of pages he was pumping out you can hardly blame him.

Mmmm...I'm not 100% sure how much time he saved on this particular page by not drawing Thor's face. What do you think?

IMG_4535.jpg

13 hours ago, grapeape said:

It depends on the motivation. 
And why was our OP picked out “been offered” the page? My guess is the OP  either inquired about the page or maybe put it out there he was looking.

So motivation.

If the potential seller really made the first move, then I agree starting smaller won’t hurt.

If in fact the OP has failed to mention that he in fact was in the market for this page, or a page from this story arc, then the advantage swings to the seller. A weak offer may kill the deal.

I must repeat that this story arc is well sought after by knowledgeable collectors. The number of available Kirby pages is irrelevant unless the OP would take any action page featuring Thor from any Kirby issue or just wants a Kirby action page from any comic.

So what’s your motivation Justin Case?

Is this a grail page?

Did you put it out (mark yourself) that you were looking for something like this?

Did the seller really contact you first?

Either way I hope you get it. It’s made for a fun (mysterious) discussion. 

I'll explain everything(nearly) seeing as you asked. Thor was the first character i collected as a kid and when i started to collect back issues the first issue i bought was Thor #126. I also began to notice that the artwork from this Jack Kirby guy  :grin:  was more unique than the other artists and so he became my favourite artist. When i realised eventually that you could buy original artwork for comics i started to seek a page from this issue out. Not many were showing up and the one's that did were either not for sale or were out of my price range.

Then a friend that i spoke to told me he knew someone who had a page from issue #126 and so i contacted him(lets call him Mike) and asked if he was interested in selling but he was not. This was several years ago and i tend to contact him once or twice a year to ask if he was interested in selling and he kept saying no but to keep asking. This time round he contacted me and asked me to make him an offer so after reading what everyone has written on this thread i think im ready to make my offer.