• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

KIRBY Thor #126 battle page how much

57 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Justin Case said:

I'll explain everything(nearly) seeing as you asked. Thor was the first character i collected as a kid and when i started to collect back issues the first issue i bought was Thor #126. I also began to notice that the artwork from this Jack Kirby guy  :grin:  was more unique than the other artists and so he became my favourite artist. When i realised eventually that you could buy original artwork for comics i started to seek a page from this issue out. Not many were showing up and the one's that did were either not for sale or were out of my price range.

Then a friend that i spoke to told me he knew someone who had a page from issue #126 and so i contacted him(lets call him Mike) and asked if he was interested in selling but he was not. This was several years ago and i tend to contact him once or twice a year to ask if he was interested in selling and he kept saying no but to keep asking. This time round he contacted me and asked me to make him an offer so after reading what everyone has written on this thread i think im ready to make my offer.   

:golfclap:

... sounds like you truly want the page... and not just the "idea" of having the page ... if that makes sense. Remember, this is coming from a guy who prefers the page on the right, where Herc is dissecting that front end loader :cloud9: ... I'm also the guy that would prefer the Thor page where he's throwing his hammer through that car engine... a true Thor lover knows :x GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

16 minutes ago, vodou said:

Under this description of events my gut says: offer as much as you can possibly and add 10% to that. With the understanding that you're not trying to do this again in six months or two years. One and done and mean it. That will either be what's required or not. If not - oh well, not meant to be or another example will come along that could/will work instead in the future. If yes, then be very pleased but also know you can't do this with every deal or you'll soon be every seller's best friend sucker :) 

I agree, vodou.  It's likely the seller has been feeling around the comic art universe just like Justin, possibly already turning down less-than-meaningful offers.  A nice offer that reflects how serious you are, along with a dose of that little extra, sounds like good advice in this situation.  You know the seller has a number in mind, but wants to see if you are close, so you should show him.  Sounds like he is not looking for a drawn-out negotiation.  David

I'll explain everything(nearly) seeing as you asked. Thor was the first character i collected as a kid and when i started to collect back issues the first issue i bought was Thor #126. I also began to notice that the artwork from this Jack Kirby guy  :grin:  was more unique than the other artists and so he became my favourite artist. When i realised eventually that you could buy original artwork for comics i started to seek a page from this issue out. Not many were showing up and the one's that did were either not for sale or were out of my price range.

Then a friend that i spoke to told me he knew someone who had a page from issue #126 and so i contacted him(lets call him Mike) and asked if he was interested in selling but he was not. This was several years ago and i tend to contact him once or twice a year to ask if he was interested in selling and he kept saying no but to keep asking. This time round he contacted me and asked me to make him an offer so after reading what everyone has written on this thread i think im ready to make my offer.   

This clears up a lot. I hope you appreciate I only meant to help get you where you need to be.

When you reach out on a grail, the answer almost always is no. I’ve been there. But things change. You have an opportunity. Get it done.

This story was also my first introduction to Kirby Thor via the Marvel Treasury edition at the age of 7. I know how great the story and art is. 

You will be tested. Here’s what I can tell you if it helps. I saw most of these pages between 1998-2002. Many were in the hands of Mike T. $500 a pop. But prices on top pages are exponentially valued today, perhaps unreasonably so by their possessors.

If your seller bought it during that time your first offer might sound really good. But it should be a strong offer. It’s doubtful this guy is unaware of today’s values. 

I wish you the very best. If you get the page please let us know which one it is 😉 

8 hours ago, glendgold said:

Here are some no-face Thor examples. There are plenty of others. I feel like he was doing this on purpose but I have no idea what it was. Since Jack grew up beating the daylights out of other guys,  and in adulthood saw all kind of hand-to-hand combat, I always look for what kind of experience he brings to fight scenes. Battle being so intense it overwhelms your identity?  No idea.  But it's a motif for some reason.

IMG_4536.jpg

IMG_4537.jpg

IMG_4538.jpg

IMG_4539.jpg

IMG_4550.jpg

Those are crazy... it's not as though he's not drawing faces, he's just not drawing THOR's face.

Since you’ve been chasing this for a while, I would now say make a strong offer. I still think if you’re anywhere close to what the person wants, he’ll either counter or say it wasn’t good enough, but you can always up your offer.

The down side is it sounds like he is clearly looking for “above market”. I think some people don’t understand when they make an offer, it’s got to be higher than what you would really think it would sell in an auction. Remember, you’re trying to pry something out of somebody’s hands they didn’t want to just put it at auction.

Good luck.

I hope you are able to get the page. Good luck. I have to wonder how much you want it - with all these posts and time that has elapsed it seems like you are taking more risk by the hour to land it. How would you feel if you reached out tomorrow and the page is no longer available? If that idea puts a pit in your stomach - reach out now and give it your best shot. If the idea of it not being available any longer doesn't impact you ... maybe the wiser decision is to pass and wait for something better. Again, good luck!

8 minutes ago, JadeGiant said:

I hope you are able to get the page. Good luck. I have to wonder how much you want it - with all these posts and time that has elapsed it seems like you are taking more risk by the hour to land it. How would you feel if you reached out tomorrow and the page is no longer available? If that idea puts a pit in your stomach - reach out now and give it your best shot. If the idea of it not being available any longer doesn't impact you ... maybe the wiser decision is to pass and wait for something better. Again, good luck!

Its difficult to answer you exactly without giving things away so lets just say i have time.

Its difficult to answer you exactly without giving things away so lets just say i have time.

Does that mean the owner also has time ??  Does the owner have time to solicit other offers ?

If I were the owner and after all the back and forth that's been described with Justin Case... if a week has gone by without an offer... this deal will die on the vine.

Edited by Will_K

On 5/17/2021 at 8:07 PM, Will_K said:

Does that mean the owner also has time ??  Does the owner have time to solicit other offers ?

If I were the owner and after all the back and forth that's been described with Justin Case... if a week has gone by without an offer... this deal will die on the vine.

Agreed.  Too much time debating at the expense of making a (realistic) timely offer.  Put up or . . .

Or (to quote Elvis):

"A little less conversation, a little more action"  :grin:

Edited by The Voord

I had to give it a little time and let things die down before coming back. Well after reading everyone's comments i made an offer of $20K which was rejected. I was still contemplating wether to increase my offer or not until i was contacted by someone else offering me another piece of artwork that i have been looking for.  

Now that Glen has pointed it out, I'm thinking a re-valuation of Thor pages is in order. Add 10% for each characteristic no-face panel on the page? Plus bonus 20% for no Thor-face at all on a multi-Thor-figure page? I feel my Kirby collection is incomplete without one one...