• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Secret Six thinkings

7 posts in this topic

Just completed my set of Secret Six #1-7 in CGC-8.0 or above. I liked the cover art and the inside art is tops. I have reading copys of all and find myself reading them every so often. What I'd like is some other peoples opinion on this series. Art work, stories, investment value, covers, what ever. Thanks Best2u

Man! feel bad for ya! Early post and you get these silly smurfs! grin.gif

OK - I have not read or owned Secret Six since the mid-80's. I had the complete run and was REALLY impressed wirth the art and especially with the covers. VERY dynamic. As far as investment possibilities...that is a tough call. We are talking esoteric DC...but my opinion is that if you have or can get them in high grade (cgc hi grade) they will be worthwhile investments down the road. Now that road may be some years in coming. Don't expect (in my opinion) a one year coupe! but DO expect gradual increases over time and then a similar Marvel Wave of CGC NMish books.

I liked the art when it came out...the story was so-so. But Jack Sparling was, I believe a syndicated comics artist who came along and picked up a little work for DC at the time.

His work stood out for me cause I had jusr recently 'discovered' this AMAZING artist who did these intricately drawn and consise 7-page stories about a dead provate eye, with these incredible splash pages that usually spelled out the characte'rs name in buildings.

At least this guy was new to ME in the 60's. Boy was I surprised that Will Eisner's Harvey reprint annuals of the Spirit were already 20 years old! I found out when the Feiffer book The Great Comic Book heroes came out. I remember thinking this guy's as good as Neal Adamas---only more cartoony!!

Sparling had a similar feel for me. Very detailed and realistic.. good anatomy...great blacks.

I hope Ive got the chronology of these events right...at least this is how I remember it.