• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grading Question about 8.5 Grade
1 1

18 posts in this topic

Hello,

I just viewed my grading online, I was confidently expecting a 9.4 - 9.8 for my comic below, but it came with 8.5. Any experts here can tell why was CGC so harsh with the grades? Is it because of the creases or color break? Shall I re-press to remove the creases? Consider me a newbie please. Thanks

Comic Description:
Amazing Spider-Man 361 4/92 Marvel Comics

Grader Notes:
2 creases on Spidey's face right top of front cover breaks color

Hi and welcome to the boards.
Without images, it will be difficult for anyone to provide specific feedback.
As far as pressing and re-submitting, that is unlikely to help based on what you describe. Color-breaking creases are rather significant flaws and pressing cannot help restore the color. It may remove or reduce the creases but the color loss will remain. 
Hope that helps.

On 5/12/2021 at 3:50 PM, Richard Aliff said:

Hello,

I just viewed my grading online, I was confidently expecting a 9.4 - 9.8 for my comic below, but it came with 8.5. Any experts here can tell why was CGC so harsh with the grades? Is it because of the creases or color break? Shall I re-press to remove the creases? Consider me a newbie please. Thanks

Comic Description:

Grader Notes:

My ASM 300 came back a 9.0...i was expecting a 9.6.

Notes say light creasing to cover and light spine stress lines.

I was gonna crack it and resubmit with a pressing but I'm afraid.

Grades are all over the place right now.

On 5/12/2021 at 3:50 PM, Richard Aliff said:

Hello,

Comic Description:

Grader Notes:

You can't have colour breaks on 9.4-9.8 comics, so a 8.5 makes sense. Repress wont fully remove it, but if you didn't press the comic the first time, you never know how much it can improve the grade if you don't try it.

2 hours ago, lostboys said:

My ASM 300 came back a 9.0...i was expecting a 9.6.

Notes say light creasing to cover and light spine stress lines.

I was gonna crack it and resubmit with a pressing but I'm afraid.

Grades are all over the place right now.

Go for it. the difference in value between a 9.0 and a 9.2 is huge compared to how much it costs to send out. Easy bet to make.

47 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

Go for it. the difference in value between a 9.0 and a 9.2 is huge compared to how much it costs to send out. Easy bet to make.

The diff is $100 according to comicsgocollect 

Now, a bump to a 9.4 would be sweet!

If it were to somehow come back an 8.5 I'd punch myself in the face.

9.8- $7,250

9.6-$2,150

9.4-$1,300

9.2-$1,050

9.0-$950

8.5-$775

I wanna do it. I'll probably do it. It can't possibly go down to an 8.5, right?

Scared money don't make money!

5 minutes ago, lostboys said:

The diff is $100 according to comicsgocollect 

Now, a bump to a 9.4 would be sweet!

If it were to somehow come back an 8.5 I'd punch myself in the face.

9.8- $7,250

9.6-$2,150

9.4-$1,300

9.2-$1,050

9.0-$950

8.5-$775

I wanna do it. I'll probably do it. It can't possibly go down to an 8.5, right?

Scared money don't make money!

Not likely, we already know the grade CGC gave it as is, which is 9.0. So going lower is not likely. 

17 hours ago, seanfingh said:

I will try to not sound like a jerk when I say this, but you guys need to learn how to grade to CGC standards.  I also was expecting all 9.8-10.0 grades when I sent in my first submission.  I got a lot of 9.6s and 9.4s that I didn't understand until I really started digging in to the process of grading, evaluating each and every book that came into my hands, and examining graded books very closely.

If you don't know how to grade, then your expectations have no merit AT ALL.  It's also clear that both of you think pressing works like a time machine and makes bad books good. It doesn't - only pressable defects can be fixed and there are many defects that are made worse by pressing, especially by DIY or wack "professional" pressing.

For everyone getting into the graded game, you have two choices - spend the time and get the skills or buy whatever graded book you decide is right for you and your budget.

(worship) :applause:

10 hours ago, Jeffro. said:

(worship) :applause:

Good point. It got downgraded because of the creases. If it's got a crease, it can't be a 9.4...the two don't belong together. Also, if you want to expect a 9.8..it's gotta'  be perfect. No flaws of any kind....well maybe one...but that's all. I'm thinking the biggest issue with expecting 9.8's are the flaws you don't see. 

On 5/12/2021 at 1:50 PM, Richard Aliff said:

Hello,

Comic Description:

Grader Notes:

First off, the creases and the color break are the same thing and not an 'or' situation.  A color breaking crease is a crease that breaks the ink of the cover and causes a visible line.  Pressing flattens paper and can help with bends or light indentations or light creases that don't break color but can't repair the loss of ink caused by a color breaking crease.

Most of us were disappointed with our first submission.  Study your book and locate the color breaking creases and learn from this.  It will help you identify books in your collection worthy of submission and it will help you avoid buying over graded books in the future.

On 5/14/2021 at 2:49 PM, seanfingh said:

I will try to not sound like a jerk when I say this, but you guys need to learn how to grade to CGC standards.  I also was expecting all 9.8-10.0 grades when I sent in my first submission.  I got a lot of 9.6s and 9.4s that I didn't understand until I really started digging in to the process of grading, evaluating each and every book that came into my hands, and examining graded books very closely.

If you don't know how to grade, then your expectations have no merit AT ALL.  It's also clear that both of you think pressing works like a time machine and makes bad books good. It doesn't - only pressable defects can be fixed and there are many defects that are made worse by pressing, especially by DIY or wack "professional" pressing.

For everyone getting into the graded game, you have two choices - spend the time and get the skills or buy whatever graded book you decide is right for you and your budget.

The only time I got upset during your seminar is when you used the word "wack". LOL!

4 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:

First off, the creases and the color break are the same thing and not an 'or' situation

Right. Color breaking creases. There are non color breaking creases as well. Like subscription creases. My friends used to have mail subscriptions. Used to drive me nuts to see the book folded over. Even though it didn't break color. And weren't my books.

4 hours ago, ninanina said:

Good point. It got downgraded because of the creases. If it's got a crease, it can't be a 9.4...the two don't belong together. Also, if you want to expect a 9.8..it's gotta'  be perfect. No flaws of any kind....well maybe one...but that's all. I'm thinking the biggest issue with expecting 9.8's are the flaws you don't see. 

You are only allowed that flaw if it's a manufacturing defect.  People forget that and send a book with a small tear that was due to handling (rather than manufacturing) and wonder why it gets 9.0 while a similar looking tear on a Spidey 361 gets a 9.8

Edited by William-James88