• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicLink original art descriptions
1 1

6 posts in this topic

I am new to collecting original comic art and wanted to ask your opinion about the way ComicLink describes its original art pieces because I find their item descriptions to be very poor to say the least.

They almost never mention the exact state of the item (creases, toning,... details that aren't always obvious on the picture) and they usually make no mention of the technique that was used. The prospective buyer doesn't know if the work was inked over graphite or over blue line (original blue pencil or scanned page),  the type of paper that was used, and so on.

If you are used to buying from CL, do you regularly contact them to ask more information about the art? Do the people at CL answer promptly?

Thanks a lot!

I agree; CL's descriptions are often poor, and sometimes are too busy trying to tout a piece. With that said, you can usually spot any significant problems by looking at something carefully. Or, if something is questionable, try asking (I haven't done that with CL, but Heritage has been good on that score).

In my opinion, minor defects in art are not significant to affect the price of a piece, at least not to the extent they are in comic books. So, unless there is a paste-up of a stat, or a piece is missing, or some kid tried to color in the image with his/her Crayola or scribbled on it, I usually ignore it. 

Edited by Rick2you2

3 hours ago, GotSuperPowers? said:

They also have a weird way of measuring art, going for the image area only rather than the board (and maybe noting the image area).

Heritage also reports the size of the actual art, as opposed to the size of the paper. I would like both, since the paper size affects storage and display. I've received not a few "11x17" that turned out to be 11.25x17 or the like, which makes a big difference.

Edited by RBerman