• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Netflix's ENOLA HOLMES 2 starring Millie Bobby Brown, Henry Cavill (TBD)

18 posts in this topic

The game is afoot again as Millie Bobby Brown and Henry Cavill have reunited for a sequel to Enola Holmes, the female-centric Sherlock Holmes hit from Legendary Entertainment and Netflix.

The companies have brought many of the creative, including writer Jack Thorne and director Harry Bradbeer, back for the sequel, which will continue the adventures of Sherlock and Mycroft Holmes’ rebellious teen sister Enola, a gifted super-sleuth in her own right who often outsmarts her famous siblings as she runs about early 20th century London.

The films are based on Nancy Springer’s Edgar Award-nominated book series, The Enola Holmes Mysteries, which comprises six books.

Netflix, using its two-minute eyeball metric, says an estimated 76 million households chose to watch the 2020 movie in the first 28 days of its Sept. 23 release.

Back as producers are Legendary’s Mary Parent, Alex Garcia and Ali Mendes, as well as Millie Bobby Brown and Paige Brown, who produce through their PCMA Productions shingle.

Legendary’s Joshua Grode and Michael Dreyer, plus Bradbeer and Thorne, will exec produce.

Both Brown and Cavill have favored players status at Legendary and Netflix. Brown is coming off a turn in the monster hit Godzilla vs. Kong, made by Legendary, and also has season four of Netflix’s Stranger Things waiting in the wings. Cavill is the star of Netflix’s fantasy series The Witcher, whose second season is due to hit later this year.

I liked the first one a lot. I should try to get my 9 year old to watch it, but Invincible has pretty much ruined television for him. If there is not an ample amount of blood and brains splattered he is not interested. Mortal Combat just barely met his requirements. What the heck have I done?

And then he was lecturing me on the story arc in The Boys --- who wins in a fight daddy, Homelander or Omniman?... I said, hold it, you're not allowed to watch The Boys!! Turns out he has basically been reading the comics via Youtube videos.

11 minutes ago, the blob said:

I liked the first one a lot. I should try to get my 9 year old to watch it, but Invincible has pretty much ruined television for him. If there is not an ample amount of blood and brains splattered he is not interested. Mortal Combat just barely met his requirements. What the heck have I done?

And then he was lecturing me on the story arc in The Boys --- who wins in a fight daddy, Homelander or Omniman?... I said, hold it, you're not allowed to watch The Boys!! Turns out he has basically been reading the comics via Youtube videos.

shock01.gif.be901b3a5e59b4c7bec1bd2da9d1fe96.gif

6 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

shock01.gif.be901b3a5e59b4c7bec1bd2da9d1fe96.gif

Both my kids "read" a TON of comics through these videos. It isn't that kids don't like comics. They don't like paying $3-5 a pop for paper when they can get the story for free elsewhere.

Looking forward to it.

First one was a lot of fun - not least to find MBB can actually act when not forced into an American accent.

Recommend you see the first movie - fun for the whole family,which is rare these days. (thumbsu

Molly Freeman, Screen Rant

Enola Holmes 2 includes more of Cavill's Sherlock, who is more involved in the mystery of Sarah Chapman and, as a result, Enola's life. Though Brown can lead the movie easily on her own — and she's just as charming as in the first film — it's a delight to see her and Cavill bring to life the sibling dynamic between Enola and Sherlock. Thorne's -script positions them as two sides of the same coin and the actors play those different, but similar, aspects of their characters very well. Their energy onscreen is ridiculously entertaining, especially in a scene where Enola helps Sherlock home after a night out.

Lovia Gyarkye, The Hollywood Reporter

With the increased stakes, Enola begrudgingly seeks Sherlock’s advice. Their loving but tense sibling dynamic is one of the most interesting parts of Enola Holmes 2: Brown and Cavill have a delightful on-screen dynamic that believably replicates the caustic communication style typical between older and younger siblings. The two don’t know how to connect and often end up misunderstanding or talking past each other, and it’s in those moments that we see Enola and Sherlock’s characters develop the most.

Arezou Amin, Collider

Even though Sherlock Holmes is a character we have seen in many incarnations, Cavill still manages to infuse him with something entirely his own. Yes, he is still clinically detached and obviously believes himself to be the most intelligent person in any room he enters, but underneath that all is a genuine current of affection for his younger sister. Not to mention, his version of Sherlock is actually funny. It's easy to forget in all the tough-guy action roles that Cavill actually has great comedic timing, and the scenes where he and Brown get to play off each other are some of the most enjoyable.

Kate Erbland, IndieWire

Despite Enola’s desire to escape the shadow of her famous big brother, her own film franchise fails to emerge from Sherlock’s lurking presence; in fact, it’s not at all clear that it’s even the intent. Co-star Henry Cavill makes for a dashing Sherlock and his scenes with Brown are adorable, but too much of the film is preoccupied with diving into his own life and profession (which has plenty of adaptations already, thanks).

Ian Sandwell, Digital Spy

In the books, Sherlock and Enola have an antagonistic relationship as she attempts to stay one step ahead of him. The sequel develops the warmer side of Sherlock as Enola's ward and while it might annoy fans of the books, it's the strongest aspect of the sequel as the pair reluctantly team up.

Separate, Millie Bobby Brown and Henry Cavill are engaging to watch, but together, their chemistry and interplay elevates both of their already-strong performances. It's telling that the sequences of their solo investigation feel dry compared to when they're both on the case. Fear not, this is still Enola's show, though, with Sherlock a supporting character.