• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Would you buy a slabbed book with brittle pages?
5 5

53 posts in this topic

If it is a book I would never be able to get otherwise, either due to scarcity (like the Keen Detective Funnies above), or price I would still consider it - especially knowing how common page quality bumps are (I've bought brittle books before and had them regrade better. Had a Slightly Brittle come back as Cream to Off-White and sometimes the Brittle ones shoot up to Slightly Brittle or Cream on a good day)

I've bought one brittle book, and since I'm a raw collector, regret it to this day.

Never again. I might consider slightly brittle on an incredibly rare book, but I'm not sure I will then.

Nope and all the more so if it’s an expensive or key book as mentioned.

Cheaper no doubt but you have to ask yourself if someone offered you 50% off the price of a ticket to watch the last 20 minutes of a 2 hour movie is it worth it?

Structure does matter and a comic undergoes several stages from white to cream to tan but once it’s gone brittle it’s life as a solid book is ticking rapidly. I’ve heard all the arguments about it but it’s always better to be young or middle aged than on your last leg of life…

Hard no…

2 hours ago, Pickie said:

Only this one so far, a deslabbed "slightly brittle" (bought deslabbed with label). I asked the seller beforehand if you could read it without issues and so it is.20201018_101658.thumb.png.d181791cb1c30890ea8d35fc0e387c40.png

Going to read it a second or third time and then going to try the resub thing ... maybe brittle no more? 9_9

Love it. Care to share the grade CGC gave? Thanks 

No.  I learned my lesson on this with a Torch 1.  It was a CGC 3.0 with slightly brittle pages.  Something came up and I needed to sell it.  Out of 4 big time dealers that I contacted, only one said they would buy it.  PQ was the reason the others passed.  

Technically, it is (by far) (thumbsu

Mind the other copy is slightly off-register, too. It's in the title and adds some "glare" to the scene ... :wink:

Edited by Pickie

Absolutely not.  I buy in order to read, and that includes slabbed books that are broken open to read.  I totally hate it when I place a book on my stand, open it, and see flakes coming down, usually off the bottom of the page folds.  Those become candidates for an upgrade.  I don't think that I've ever come across a cover that exhibited brittleness.  It's always the interior pages, around the edges.