• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Please grade my Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Volume 4 #29
3 3

29 posts in this topic

Hello

I wonder if anyone is able to give me an estimate grading for this comic. It is signed by Peter Laird with a head sketch 2008. I am not sure if this downgrades the desirability of the comic or not? This is the same condition in which I received it. Comics from Mirage were shipped without boards/bags. I bagged it the day I received it and it has been unread since. I removed it from the bag in order to take the photos. Any suggestions to the grading and possible value would be greatly appreciated as I am a complete novice. Pictures are attached.

Many thanks everyone

thumbnail_IMG_3467.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3466.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3465.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3464.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3463.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3462.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3461.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3460.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3459.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3458.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3457.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3454.jpg

9 minutes ago, sorrenmj said:

Hello

I wonder if anyone is able to give me an estimate grading for this comic. It is signed by Peter Laird with a head sketch 2008. I am not sure if this downgrades the desirability of the comic or not? This is the same condition in which I received it. Comics from Mirage were shipped without boards/bags. I bagged it the day I received it and it has been unread since. I removed it from the bag in order to take the photos. Any suggestions to the grading and possible value would be greatly appreciated as I am a complete novice. Pictures are attached.

Many thanks everyone

thumbnail_IMG_3467.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3466.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3465.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3464.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3463.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3462.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3461.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3460.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3459.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3458.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3457.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3454.jpg

Its NM except for the 

Dirt from handling it raw, you can see it on the back near staples. Bare in mind NM is only 9.4 and stands for near mint but anyway 

Have it pressed either way, because that may clear up the stain or dirt and oil, won't be perfect but others can attest to how well if a press will enhance from dirt

That's first but

Second if you submit to cgc it will get an unauthorized or unwittnessed signature so a green label, meaning the actual grade of the "book" witbought the signature and sketch. You can request a blue label, but it will downgrade severely for the writing

So it wouldnt get a yellow label witnessed sig. The competitors offer verification but

If this is a well known signature book that is known for the Laird sig, then you may want to go ahead with cgc as any buyer would understand 

That said....

The green label would grade as if sig wasnt there, I would hazard a guess as is of 8.5 with the stains and dirt. Cgc tends to hammer that. If and I dont press often enough to be acquainted with removal of dirt that is not restoration,  but the book integrity is about NM if not for the dirt or oil from holding it raw at the spine.

You've tried to get your answer and I really want to help, maybe others will chime in, but this is the best "I" can estimate

11 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Its NM except for the 

Dirt from handling it raw, you can see it on the back near staples. Bare in mind NM is only 9.4 and stands for near mint but anyway 

Have it pressed either way, because that may clear up the stain or dirt and oil, won't be perfect but others can attest to how well if a press will enhance from dirt

That's first but

Second if you submit to cgc it will get an unauthorized or unwittnessed signature so a green label, meaning the actual grade of the "book" witbought the signature and sketch. You can request a blue label, but it will downgrade severely for the writing

So it wouldnt get a yellow label witnessed sig. The competitors offer verification but

If this is a well known signature book that is known for the Laird sig, then you may want to go ahead with cgc as any buyer would understand 

That said....

The green label would grade as if sig wasnt there, I would hazard a guess as is of 8.5 with the stains and dirt. Cgc tends to hammer that. If and I dont press often enough to be acquainted with removal of dirt that is not restoration,  but the book integrity is about NM if not for the dirt or oil from holding it raw at the spine.

You've tried to get your answer and I really want to help, maybe others will chime in, but this is the best "I" can estimate

Amazing, thanks for the detailed evaluation - this is really helpful feedback. I'm guessing the stain/dirt/oil on the back is from the comic board? It hasn't been outside of the bag at all since I bagged it 13 years ago. I also have a copy of #29 which is not signed, in the same condition, so if I did get it CGC'd I will submit the unsigned copy to be safe. I assumed the signed version perhaps would be the more desired but anyway, I feel some equilibrium since posting here. Many thanks.

7 minutes ago, sorrenmj said:

Amazing, thanks for the detailed evaluation - this is really helpful feedback. I'm guessing the stain/dirt/oil on the back is from the comic board? It hasn't been outside of the bag at all since I bagged it 13 years ago. I also have a copy of #29 which is not signed, in the same condition, so if I did get it CGC'd I will submit the unsigned copy to be safe. I assumed the signed version perhaps would be the more desired but anyway, I feel some equilibrium since posting here. Many thanks.

Get it C&P should be around 8.0

Just now, sorrenmj said:

Many thanks for your reply. What is C&P? I apologise I am a complete novice.

Stands for : Cleaned and pressed 

no worries!

refreshing to meet someone new here who doesn’t think they know everything already! :tink:

1 minute ago, Comics4All said:

Stands for : Cleaned and pressed 

no worries!

refreshing to meet someone new here who doesn’t think they know everything already! :tink:

Ha ha I know nothing! Though I do know I love the TMNT. Always have, always will! Thanks for your feedback

Yes any presser would automatically "clean" before pressing, because otherwise the dirt would get pressed further into the book is my understanding 

So cleaning IS NOT restoration 

There is a certain kind of cleaning that would be considered restoration,  so if you just submit for a press, the presser would take it from there lol

It's a lot to take in I know

Just now, sorrenmj said:

Ha ha I know nothing! Though I do know I love the TMNT. Always have, always will! Thanks for your feedback

When you submit to cgc, there is a grading option for your comic and also a pressing option, which is like an extra $20.

It takes longer to get it back from cgc, cause almost everyone and their pet cat presses anything and everything. 

There are other pressers out there that used to have shorter turn arou d times , but with this market unlikely

Easy option? When you submit to cgc add the press option for the extra $20 and itll get done

The only thing I  not sure of is how much of that kind of dirt or oil or schmutz it is, and I dont know how well the press will remove it, but couldn't hoit,  why coitanly! :tink:

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Yes any presser would automatically "clean" before pressing, because otherwise the dirt would get pressed further into the book is my understanding 

So cleaning IS NOT restoration 

There is a certain kind of cleaning that would be considered restoration,  so if you just submit for a press, the presser would take it from there lol

It's a lot to take in I know

I had no idea you could clean a comic book up. Does the CGC label say it has been C&P'd? Does C&P raise the grade and do buyers consider it a flaw or enhancement? It is a lot to take in sure but I feel at home learning all this. I must be in the right place  

3 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

When you submit to cgc, there is a grading option for your comic and also a pressing option, which is like an extra $20.

It takes longer to get it back from cgc, cause almost everyone and their pet cat presses anything and everything. 

There are other pressers out there that used to have shorter turn arou d times , but with this market unlikely

Easy option? When you submit to cgc add the press option for the extra $20 and itll get done

The only thing I  not sure of is how much of that kind of dirt or oil or schmutz it is, and I dont know how well the press will remove it, but couldn't hoit,  why coitanly! :tink:

I am certain $20 is worth it to see

1 minute ago, sorrenmj said:

I had no idea you could clean a comic book up. Does the CGC label say it has been C&P'd? 

No

1 minute ago, sorrenmj said:

Does C&P raise the grade 

It can

2 minutes ago, sorrenmj said:

do buyers consider it a flaw or enhancement? 

These days, it is more widely accepted

9 minutes ago, sorrenmj said:

I had no idea you could clean a comic book up. Does the CGC label say it has been C&P'd? Does C&P raise the grade and do buyers consider it a flaw or enhancement? It is a lot to take in sure but I feel at home learning all this. I must be in the right place  

No it doesnt get any kind of notation of being pressed. The reason cgc allows pressing, is because they couldnt "detect" books that had been pressed, so what did they do? They decided cant beat them join them and started their own pressing services

Full disclosure?  Yes there are purists out there that dont like pressing as it "alters" but since it cannot be detected, cgc doesnt consider it restoration. That was a bid thing when they 1st decided, but won't go into it here

Yes cgc allows it, yes cgc will do the service for you, no it doesnt get a notation of pressing, yes it can bump the grate and make the book more presentable 

Further disclosure.... there is such a thing as a bad press job, cgc handles this by when you submit the book they see if it is indeed a candidate for pressing, as the book is squished in pressing they make sure that there are no cuts or pieces that will fall off during the pressing. I tell you this for your own knowledge so your encouraged and grow In the hobby. This book wouldnt have any bad press defects but bad pressing CAN happen though so keep it real, and stick to known pressers 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

2 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

No it doesnt get any kind of notation of being pressed. The reason cgc allows pressing, is because they couldnt "detect" books that had been pressed, so what did they do? They decided cant beat them join them and started their own pressing services

Full disclosure?  Yes there are purists out there that dont like pressing as it "alters" but since it cannot be detected, cgc doesnt consider it restoration. That was a bid thing when they 1st decided, but won't go into it here

Yes cgc allows it, yes cgc will do the service for you, no it get a notation of pressing, yes it can bump the grate and make the book more presentable 

Further disclosure.... there is such a thing as a bad press job, cgc handles this by when you submit the book they see if it is indeed a candidate for pressing, as the book is squished in pressing they make sure that there are no cuts or pieces that will fall off during the pressing. I tell you this for your own knowledge so your encouraged and grow In the hobby. This book wouldnt have any bad press defects but bad pressing CAN happen though so keep it real, and stick to known pressers 

Great insight thanks for the heads up

Stay away from purple cgc labels if you can, as those labels are restoration labels and have notations of why it was considered restoration to get a purple panel.

No pressing is not restoration as it is "undetectable" so cgc went with it and as has been said is more widely accepted, not all do pressing, I dont bother most of the time, cause well it adds to turn around times with modern and lower tiers

I have had higher tiers pressed because higher tiers the turn around time (tat)

Is quicker because it is a higher tier and more expensive 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

6 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Stay away from purple cgc labels if you can, as those labels are restoration labels and have notations of why it was considered restoration to get a purple panel.

No pressing is not restoration as it is "undetectable" so cgc went with it and as has been said is more widely accepted, not all do pressing, I dont bother most of the time, cause well it adds to turn around times with modern and lower tiers

6 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Good to know thanks