• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I lucked out on a giant pile of coverless I bought...... hidden gem alert... Adventure 40
2 2

57 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, JollyComics said:

EOW!!!  I am not a risk taker

Funny. Think of it this way. Even if you lose now in ten years who knows what you’ll have. I’ve been doing it for as long as I can remember and I only remember the wins. Nothing ventured nothing gained. 

20 minutes ago, ThothAmon said:

Funny. Think of it this way. Even if you lose now in ten years who knows what you’ll have. I’ve been doing it for as long as I can remember and I only remember the wins. Nothing ventured nothing gained. 

That's ok.  I sold few coverless copies but it took me a long time to get rid of them.

12 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

I 100% agree.

Also.... I find it fun and challenging to piece together some rare comics.  I don't have the funds to buy slabbed mega keys, so if I can piece together a mega key by buying an incomplete copy and then looking thru auctions like this for CFs or outerwraps.  I have pieced together complete copies of Superman 1, Cap 1, All Star 8, using this method.  

Yes, it's a long term investment.  Some sellers decided to sell encapsulated individual pages. There are many ways to meet any new challenges. 

11 minutes ago, JollyComics said:

I sold few coverless copies but it took me a long time to get rid of them.

I agree with you too.  Gadzukes paid more than I was willing by about 50%.  I was going to show where I tapped out but my snipe was obviously lower than the current bid price when I let it fly because my bid isn’t even showing. 
https://www.ebay.com/bfl/viewbids/254959860942?item=254959860942&_trksid=p2349624.m3641.l6394

18 minutes ago, ThothAmon said:

I agree with you too.  Gadzukes paid more than I was willing by about 50%.  I was going to show where I tapped out but my snipe was obviously lower than the current bid price when I let it fly because my bid isn’t even showing. 
https://www.ebay.com/bfl/viewbids/254959860942?item=254959860942&_trksid=p2349624.m3641.l6394

Looks like one bidder with 3 feedback may commit a shill.

4 hours ago, JollyComics said:

Looks like one bidder with 3 feedback may commit a shill.

Yeah, I saw that and asked the seller about it, because that bidder basically took the bid right up underneath my top bid.

None of his other auctions had that same bidder so I let it go, but I was a little upset.

12 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

Yeah, I saw that and asked the seller about it, because that bidder basically took the bid right up underneath my top bid.

None of his other auctions had that same bidder so I let it go, but I was a little upset.

I would p*ss off too.  It sucks that bids leave us blind.

Edited by JollyComics

On 5/14/2021 at 1:10 AM, gadzukes said:

I always find it fun to go thru a nice pile of GA coverless.  Fingers crossed that SOMETHING awesome will show up.

Tonight..... the good news is.... I just found a copy of Adventure comics 40 in a giant pile of over 100 coverless GA comics I bought.

The bad news,,,,, it's incomplete, and the pages begin AFTER the Sandman story. :pullhair:

Still... it's got the CF (and it's in nice shape).  

It's got 13 middle wraps, 11 of which are pretty nice.  The outer 2 existing wraps are pretty bad.

What do you think?  I think it probably still hold quite a bit of value even though it's missing Sandman pages.  Slab it as is?  Slab the wraps separately?

Here's some of the pages.

FullSizeRender-9.jpeg

FullSizeRender-11.jpeg

FullSizeRender-13.jpeg

FullSizeRender-15.jpeg

FullSizeRender-17.jpeg

FullSizeRender-19.jpeg

I found a lot of Sandman stories but missing the rest of the book.  I think the first one is Adventure 47 which I have but forgot what the other story is from.

13229749553_14cc42bf3d_b.jpg

7 hours ago, BB-Gun said:

I found a lot of Sandman stories but missing the rest of the book.  I think the first one is Adventure 47 which I have but forgot what the other story is from.

13229749553_14cc42bf3d_b.jpg

47 on the left 46 on the right.  I'm guessing you don't have 40 do you?

On 5/14/2021 at 12:48 PM, gadzukes said:

I matched: 

WDC&S 1 

Lucky Comics 3

Single Series (Broncho Bill)

Uncle Sam Quarterly 8

Boy comics 5 & 23

Sparking Stars 4

Modern Comics 47

Jungle Comics 34 & 112

Jumbo Comics 100

Don Winslow 20

These books were sold by a board member and local guy Dave Arnold. Not sure on the back story where he got them. I know he spent zero time in matching them up. I know he broke out and sold the WDCS #1 cover separately. Probably others. Surprisingly, he is not a shiller. I know because I have sold him stuff and on occasion, the items went below what he paid me for them. He likes to "turn and burn" as quickly as possible on Ebay. Looks like a fun load. Wish I had known about them...

On 5/14/2021 at 1:48 PM, gadzukes said:

I matched: 

WDC&S 1 

Lucky Comics 3

Single Series (Broncho Bill)

Uncle Sam Quarterly 8

Boy comics 5 & 23

Sparking Stars 4

Modern Comics 47

Jungle Comics 34 & 112

Jumbo Comics 100

Don Winslow 20

Congrats, you'll do well with these books.

6 hours ago, William-James88 said:

Too  bad, the first page is better than the cover. Now that's a book I feel works great coverless in a slab.

I don't see the attraction of the first page.  I think the Batman story at the end has a pretty good splash.

By the way, I also bid on that lot of comics because I wanted the Superman 2.  I think the other stuff looks pretty good too.

WF003-02.jpg

Edited by BB-Gun

On 5/14/2021 at 1:41 PM, gadzukes said:

Yes, that's the one.  I knew about the Action 15 & the Superman 2...... I just figured there had to be some more goodies in there.

The Adventure 40 goes a long way to paying for the auction.

Also..... I figured that all the solo covers would have matches

I had it on watch, but when someone says it's the first time for  an auction like this EVER...and that he did not count pages and didn't try to match covers...but sells comics...  I figured he was protesting a little bit too much. So I'm very glad you found some matches...but you might watch his auctions for more matching pieces;) 

7 hours ago, BB-Gun said:

I don't see the attraction of the first page.  I think the Batman story at the end has a pretty good splash.

By the way, I also bid on that lot of comics because I wanted the Superman 2.  I think the other stuff looks pretty good too.

WF003-02.jpg

Well that's because I was sorely mistaken as to what the first page was. Sorry.

On 5/14/2021 at 11:25 PM, JollyComics said:

I would p*ss off too.  It sucks that bids leave us blind.

of course they leave bidders identities blind. They learned they can make loads more when a seller runs up the tab on his own auction. Theres really no other reason for it 

20 hours ago, Robot Man said:

These books were sold by a board member and local guy Dave Arnold. Not sure on the back story where he got them. I know he spent zero time in matching them up. I know he broke out and sold the WDCS #1 cover separately. Probably others. Surprisingly, he is not a shiller. I know because I have sold him stuff and on occasion, the items went below what he paid me for them. He likes to "turn and burn" as quickly as possible on Ebay. Looks like a fun load. Wish I had known about them...

I can't imagine being a comic seller and not fully going thru a lot like this.  The comic's ages ranged from 1937 - 1947.  It's such a sweet spot in time for grails.  The Adventure 40 I found could just as easily have been an Action 1.  In fact, when I first started paging thru it I thought it might be an early Action because of the black & white pages on a couple stories.

18 hours ago, William-James88 said:

Too  bad, the first page is better than the cover. Now that's a book I feel works great coverless in a slab.

Works even better with my updated cover so we actually have a decent Scarecrow 1st appearance cover :D
I love this first appearance so much, but always thought the cover was a disappointment (hell, Scarecrow only have one single GA cover ever is a shame that needed to be fixed!)

https://www.instagram.com/p/B7s9mOzH82W/