• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Getting a valuable book graded

10 posts in this topic

Hey everyone!

I've never sent a book to be graded and it seems a simple enough process. Of course every book is valuable but...

What do people do with books that might be worth $6k or even more? Just pack em up and drop em off at the post office and have no worries? Seems a bit concerning to ship it. This darn COVID has stopped CGC going to events which would've been a great option.

Maybe just wait another year till CGC goes to local events or just ship it? I've had my X-Men 94 since 1986 so what's waiting another year.

Thanks for the input.

2021-01-21_14-01-34_164.jpg

Many people mail them in with insurance, check the limits w your carrier.  

but if I was a first timer, I’d probably just wait and do it person at a show, assuming you’re in no hurry

I feel you. After my collection was stolen I am very nervous about letting my remaining valuable books out of my sight. I want to send my Bone 1 first printing in for a press and grade but am just to nervous. I also have 2 ASM 300’s that I want to submit but just cannot bring myself to do it. So, in order to get myself comfortable with the process I made my first submission of 3 far less valuable books. I am willing to wait awhile until I get these back before I start to send in the expensive books.

9 hours ago, BadDecisons said:

Hey everyone!

I've never sent a book to be graded and it seems a simple enough process. Of course every book is valuable but...

What do people do with books that might be worth $6k or even more? Just pack em up and drop em off at the post office and have no worries? Seems a bit concerning to ship it. This darn COVID has stopped CGC going to events which would've been a great option.

Maybe just wait another year till CGC goes to local events or just ship it? I've had my X-Men 94 since 1986 so what's waiting another year.

Thanks for the input.

2021-01-21_14-01-34_164.jpg

Just insure it for 6k at the post office, problem solved.

Edited by William-James88

20 hours ago, William-James88 said:

I'm ready to bet the post office will make damn sure they dont have to owe you 6k

They will also make damn sure they don't have to pay you if something happens. Be ready to prove you sent what you say did, and be ready to prove 100 different ways what you sent is worth what you claim it is.

On 5/14/2021 at 10:49 AM, revat said:

I’d probably just wait and do it person at a show, assuming you’re in no hurry

This is what I would do for a book of this value, unless you want to get it graded ASAP so you can sell it while the market's hot...