• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Web of Spider-Man #90 Has a 2nd Print…Why?
1 1

6 posts in this topic

This is of the age where it’s technically a modern, but the quality of responses will be better here. 

I was going through some back issues and realized that WoS #90 - hologram anniversary cover - has a second printing. The hologram is gold, whereas the first printing is silver. I don’t think any of the other anniversary issues had multiple printings. 

This has taken up more space in my mind than it should, so I figured I’d ask the question here. Is there a reason this book needed a second printing? It seems like all the anniversary covers were pretty well hyped. Was WoS selling poorly enough that shops didn’t properly gauge demand?

14 minutes ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

The Spectacular Spider-man #189 also had a second print gold hologram. Plus both of those second printings had both direct and newsstand releases.  (thumbsu

Thanks! I did not realize that. I guess I avoided anything not-first print back then. Still, you’d think there would have been plenty to go around. Guess not. 

But to try to help with the question at hand. I would think this was all part of the pure glut and over production of the time. Back then so many stores were selling comics and the Big Two were breaking into so many markets.  Both DC and Marvel started producing multi packs for Kmarts, Targets, Walmarts, Costcos, Kaybee Toys, Toys'R'us, BAM, Waldenbooks, and so many more. Almost every corner store as well as every big chain. A lot of the packs came in so many forms and they would fill them with anything from character packs, ro runs, to just random over stock. A lot of the packs contain second prints. Here is an example of the pack that contained the WOS 90 second ( direct although you can not tell when they are sealed.) 

20210516_234332.jpg.bbd9acc77bd8cdfb395a09650104a507.jpg20210516_234316.jpg.d4ff6091069a3b6e3feca7ac8e87365d.jpg

This combined with a popular character and the huge celebration they had for Spider-mans 30th cards these books public appearances oh and who could forget all the promotional stuff! Goes to help explain why... pure profit. 

20210516_234357.jpg.f81e874058849e5df18a613aaa8a34ca.jpg20210516_234345.jpg.d63228ba6cddf0da30d42868fd432d8f.jpg

7 minutes ago, awakeintheashes said:

Thanks! I did not realize that. I guess I avoided anything not-first print back then. Still, you’d think there would have been plenty to go around. Guess not. 

A lot of people avoided the later printings of almost everything back then which has led to some with decent prices on them. Like the hand full of second print newsstand books (although these are the least valuable of them) the rest being Batman 457, Superman 50, Spider man 1 gold ups( produced for walmart)  Also think things like DC Universe Logo, or the JC Penney books( pressman)

Edited by onlyweaknesskryptonite