• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic organizing preferences
2 2

17 posts in this topic

I've been picking up a lot of books lately, and my organizational skills are lacking - I need to go through and reorganize everything, and it got me thinking about the best way to do it. I'm thinking maybe creating a box of books I plan to sell/trade/etc., a box or two of only key or high-value books across titles and then the rest in boxes alphabetized by title.

Just got me curious to see how others prefer to organize their raw books.

I usually just go straight alphabetical. Then, as new books come in they go in their own boxes. At some point I then go back and re-arrange alphabetically again. Not the most streamlined method, but it works for me.

I'm selling off a lot of my collection though so now it will, hopefully when I'm done, be down to 3-4 long boxes, 1 or 2 graded boxes, and maybe a golden age/magazine box or 2 at most at any given time. Then, I'll keep them alphabetical as I go.

7 minutes ago, xvipah said:

I usually just go straight alphabetical. Then, as new books come in they go in their own boxes. At some point I then go back and re-arrange alphabetically again. Not the most streamlined method, but it works for me.

I'm selling off a lot of my collection though so now it will, hopefully when I'm done, be down to 3-4 long boxes, 1 or 2 graded boxes, and maybe a golden age/magazine box or 2 at most at any given time. Then, I'll keep them alphabetical as I go.

I do the same, but I also use the Overstreet Price Guide as a reference too.  Sometimes, books don't seem to go in proper order if they are form different series'.  I try to keep limited series, one-shots, TPB's, etc. with the actual series they were published with.  Of course, my entire collection has been organized for a while...it was just my preferred method at the time.  Also helps me to list stuff alphabetically in my sales thread.  lol

For the most part, I organize my collection like this:

Publisher => Era => Alphabetical

Era for Marvel is "pre-Secret Wars", Hickman, All New All Different, Fresh Start.  Era for DC is basically pre-New 52, whatever event transitioned to Rebirth, Rebirth

Crossovers are kept together.  So the main books and tie-ins for Absolute Carnage and King in Black are organized in reading order with Venom.

The awesome thing is there are so many ways to go about it, do whatever works for you and makes sense. I change how I do it about every couple of years and add little things here and there to help out. They way I do it currently, and it works great for me, is I break them down by publisher first. I put DC, Marvel, Image, Independent on the outside of the box. Then I use dividers to label them by series, Vol etc. On the outside of each box I also put a label with a quick glimpse of what's in the box, "Daredevil Vol 6", Batman Vol 5", Saga, Outcast" etc. When I get my new issues for the week I bag and board them and put them in a box that I keep the unread stuff in until I get to it. Then I have a new box each for DC, Marvel, Image/Independent. After I read the new stuff they go in these boxes until Its full then repeat. I also have a box just for variant covers, separate "Vintage" box, and lastly a CGC box with graded books and more expensive stuff that are in Mylars/archives etc. I think at some point I would like to get them done alphabetically as well. We will see.

Happy Collecting! 

4 minutes ago, !???! said:

lol I haven't bagged or boarded a new comic since 1998. They are in chronological order - after I read one it goes in the front of the line until the box is full. I must have 20 long boxes like this :whee:

You'll never see me pretending I have OCD lol

So you have boxes of unbagged/unboarded books?  :whatthe:  They're just....nekkid?

7 minutes ago, !???! said:

lol I haven't bagged or boarded a new comic since 1998. They are in chronological order - after I read one it goes in the front of the line until the box is full. I must have 20 long boxes like this :whee:

You'll never see me pretending I have OCD lol

Surprised Batman.jpeg

Slabbed, grouped by series in numerical order.

Raw, bagged/boarded in a mixture of long and short boxes. I used to try to keep series in numerical order, gave up a long time ago.

Took the CLZ plunge, numbered my boxes and catalogued everything in its current random order. Now organization no longer really matters. CLZ tells me what box, and where at in said box, everything is. Changed my life. I don't work for CLZ but I will promote that sh*t all day, erry day.

35 minutes ago, Fisionbomb said:

Raw, bagged/boarded in a mixture of long and short boxes. I used to try to keep series in numerical order, gave up a long time ago.

Took the CLZ plunge, numbered my boxes and catalogued everything in its current random order. Now organization no longer really matters. CLZ tells me what box, and where at in said box, everything is. Changed my life. I don't work for CLZ but I will promote that sh*t all day, erry day.

I regret not paying the lifetime membership when that was still a thing.

1 hour ago, Fisionbomb said:

I use CLZ as well. It’s awesome. I never thought about numbering the boxes and putting the number with issues on the app. That’s a cool idea!

4 hours ago, !???! said:

You got it. I figure that's about half my collection, around 6,000 comics. There's no need to bag and board Modern carp lol

You would wish you boarded that TWD 1, ASM 300, UF 4 or pick any hot book you paid $3 for that is now $500+ in 9.8.  Maybe you don't care, which is fine too.

So I have Ikea shelves with sturdy fabric bin inserts that I store my comics in (bins fit about as much as a shortbox, two rows per bin). I arrange each bin a certain way. For example, I have one shelf devoted to Marvel arranged as such...

-3 ASM bins (that go in numbered order from one to the next)

-an MTU and "other" Spidey bin

-A Ms. Marvel/Captain Marvel/Warlock bin

-A Silver Surfer/Secrets Wars/Thanos bin

-A Captain America/Iron Man bin

- A Spectacular Spider-Man bin

-A miscellaneous Marvel bin from A-L

- A miscellaneous Marvel bin from M-Z

-A Ghost Rider/Punisher bin

-A Daredevil/Moon Knight bin

- A Marvel "teams" bin (Avengers, Defenders, Champions)

-A second "teams" bin (FF and Eternals)

- A Thor/Conan/Kull bin

- An all things X-Men bin 

And my other shelf, smaller, has

- A Batman bin

-A Detective comics bin

-A treasuries bin

-A Golden age books bin

-A DC bin from A-L

-A DC bin from L-Z

-A Marvel graphic novel/magazine bin

-An indie bin (Spawn, TMNT, etc.. probably my most unorganized as it is a catch all for most older Indie stuff)

Finally, I have a long box full of newer stuff (most notably Hawkeye run, Birds of Prey and other random 2000 - now books) and a short box full of newer Indie stuff (Wytches, Descender, Sex Criminals, SIKTC).

And that is my organization!