• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Has this book ben trimmed? ASM #361
1 1

35 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Jemin said:

I just noticed this.  Is this a known issue?  Maybe something at the printer?  I've been looking on Ebay to compare and there are a few books that look kind of the same.

Inked20210508_081959.thumb.jpg.1b2e30f51cb51234f53422110639fb60_LI (2).jpg

It certainly does appear so. Though not high rez, and without a front cover image to compare, aside from the obvious telemetry issues, the cut of the edge changing direction many times off of plumb, I can detect a twist to the edge's symmetry that is atypical of production machining while being more typical of human hand, after-production cut. The edge exhibits the tells of imprecise cutting, the type of which occurs, from slight to severe (as it is here), due to being hand cut, a blade with a straight edge. 

What I'd like to see is the front cover aspect as well to be sure that this is an "all the pages at once", hand cut. . 

Edited by James J Johnson

I'm wondering if it is a production issue. There are other examples of this book slabbed with this defect although not as severe.  Possibly someone did trim it to align the pages and the covers. 😪

5 minutes ago, Galen130 said:

Someone here will know more, I’m sure.  Your initial example is pretty bad.  I cant believe that one is a production issue. (shrug)

I know.  I'd hate to send it in and take a huge hit on it.  Hoping someone pulls one out exactly like it and says "oh yeah mine is the same" with a 9.anything on it. 😂

10 minutes ago, Jemin said:

I know.  I'd hate to send it in and take a huge hit on it.  Hoping someone pulls one out exactly like it and says "oh yeah mine is the same" with a 9.anything on it. 😂

You'll get more opinions on this is the next day or two, I'm sure. (thumbsu

2 hours ago, Angel of Death said:

That second one looks like a mis-wrap. You can see the tilt of everything.

The OP looks trimmed.

What does that do to the grading?  Does it get the resto label?  Or is it just a lower grade?  I'm not stressed about a lower grade because I am handing it off to my son as a gift but I would like for him to be able to get the most value out of it down the road, and if I understand correctly a purple label diminishes that.  If that makes sense.

32 minutes ago, Jemin said:

What does that do to the grading?  Does it get the resto label?  Or is it just a lower grade?  I'm not stressed about a lower grade because I am handing it off to my son as a gift but I would like for him to be able to get the most value out of it down the road, and if I understand correctly a purple label diminishes that.  If that makes sense.

Restored comics get the Restored label.

Just now, Angel of Death said:

Restored comics get the Restored label.

So it's considered restored?  Gotcha!  I wasn't sure if it was considered that or just damaged.  Thanks!

4 minutes ago, Jemin said:

So it's considered restored?  Gotcha!  I wasn't sure if it was considered that or just damaged.  Thanks!

Any action that is taken in attempt to improve a comic book is Restoration. There are exceptions that fall under Conservation, but those are typically archival material-related.

Trimming is an attempt to improve the edge(s).

Edit: Pressing, while potentially 'improving' a comic book, is the lone example that I can think of that is neither Restoration nor Conservation.

Edited by Angel of Death

13 hours ago, Jemin said:

I just noticed this.  Is this a known issue?  Maybe something at the printer?  I've been looking on Ebay to compare and there are a few books that look kind of the same.

Inked20210508_081959.thumb.jpg.1b2e30f51cb51234f53422110639fb60_LI (2).jpg

I am going to be the first here to suggest that I am leaning more towards no trim. I have seen horrible miscuts like this on books from the 80's and early 90's (I had an Avengers Annual 10 that was cut in such a way and I know it was never touched because it came out of a collection from someone who bought the books and then put them away). So it is definitely possible.

What would help is a photo of the pages, similar to the views shown. In addition, if you notice any fraying along the cover edges and page edges. Finally, ask yourself why would someone trim this? Most likely answer would be to remove a flaw on the cover, meaning trimming the entire book is pointless and stupid. Not saying such a person doesn't exist but they would not try to trim the whole book for a flaw only present on the cover. If this slanted cut is present on front cover, all pages and back cover AND you see no signs of fraying AND your pages seem to resemble to first image below, (the second image is more evident when a book is trimmed, although easier to tell on older books than modern), I would say "no trim, but a bad cut job from production".

untrimmed-book-edge.jpg

Trimming

Another way is if the pages stick out beyond the edges of the cover. If they do not, I mean it is possible to trim an entire book but you would see fraying along the cut edge or if they tried to trim each page, it would show a TON of variation with some pages sticking out more than others. 

1 minute ago, comicginger1789 said:

Finally, what is this where I have circled? It could be evidence of the fraying that is often seen when an amateur tries to trim...hard to tell though if this is present on cover only, pages, etc without better pictures.

image.thumb.png.38b73b26c389ab90ad1ad3e33b963009.png

I believe that is from the pages.  I'll get some better photos of everything up in a bit.  I do know that I have seen all kinds of different cuts of this book in just the few hours that I noticed this on my book.  I'll post some examples of those also.