• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GREATEST GOLDEN AGE COVER ARTIST

38 posts in this topic

From a cover only standpoint, my pick for the #1 golden age artist is Lou Fine. In my opinion, his cover work, with its strong pulp influence, makes most other golden age artwork look cartoonish. The following are just a few of his more classic covers. I don't remember ever seeing the original artwork to these though. Anyone have any information as to why? I think the Victor Fox destroyed the Fox Publications covers.

P.S. These are not my comics. Hopefully, I'm not devaluing them......."

Lou Fine is my favorite also.

For Fox covers head this way....

http://www.comicartville.com/victorfox.htm

For a Lou Fine original cover head that way...

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece...at=0&UCat=0

By the way Weird Comics 1 is by Tuska and #2 by Simon

jon

From a cover only standpoint, my pick for the #1 golden age artist is Lou Fine. In my opinion, his cover work, with its strong pulp influence, makes most other golden age artwork look cartoonish. The following are just a few of his more classic covers. I don't remember ever seeing the original artwork to these though. Anyone have any information as to why? I think the Victor Fox destroyed the Fox Publications covers.

P.S. These are not my comics. Hopefully, I'm not devaluing them......."

[\quote]

Lou Fine is my favorite also.

For Fox covers head this way....

http://www.comicartville.com/victorfox.htm

For a Lou Fine original cover head that way...

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece...at=0&UCat=0

By the way Weird Comics 1 is by Tuska and #2 by Simon

jon

Hey Jon,

Both The Gerber guide and CGC list #1 and #2 as Lou Fine covers. Overstreet also lists #2 as a Lou Fine Cover, but #1 as a Tuska. There seems to be some confusion. Are you sure that neither #1 or #2 are by Lou?

I'm a big Fox fan also

COMICS5.jpg

COMICS1.jpg

5 hours ago, Bronty said:

Wow that’s very cool.   I hadn’t heard of him before

He only did one cover to my knowledge, and also did The Blood Pearls and The Monastery of the Blue God stories for DC's New Comics/New Adventure Comics in 1936-1938. My favorite work of his would have to be his Mars Mason stories.

From Speed Comics #9 (June 1940, Harvey Comics).

55.jpg

56.jpg

57.jpg

58.jpg

59.jpg

60.jpg

1 hour ago, glendgold said:

Holy cow, that Mars Mason story might be the most insane comic I've ever seen.  And I wrote the intro to the Fletcher Hanks book.  Let's just start with the fact that NO MAIL GETS DELIVERED, to begin with.

I skipped right over it, more random GA garbage (story), until your comment, and hey it's fun :)

However, I think the art stripped of color might be much less interesting than one would first think.

3 hours ago, glendgold said:

Holy cow, that Mars Mason story might be the most insane comic I've ever seen.  And I wrote the intro to the Fletcher Hanks book.  Let's just start with the fact that NO MAIL GETS DELIVERED, to begin with.

He and Jack Cole did some of the more creative and expressive comic book art of the 1940s as far as I’ve observed. Basil Wolverton too, who although might not be as “extreme” as Paddock, could still get rather weird. Wolverton’s drawings he did for Centaur Comics’ Amazing Mystery Funnies #24 (September, 1940) stick out to me in particular.

37.jpg

38.jpg

39.jpg

40.jpg

41.jpg

42.jpg

Edited by Electricmastro

2 hours ago, Electricmastro said:

He and Jack Cole did some of the more creative and expressive comic book art of the 1940s as far as I’ve observed. Basil Wolverton too, who although might not be as “extreme” as Paddock, could still get rather weird. Wolverton’s drawings he did for Centaur Comics’ Amazing Mystery Funnies #24 (September, 1940) stick out to me in particular.

37.jpg

38.jpg

39.jpg

40.jpg

41.jpg

42.jpg

Looks like the balls got detached from the shaft.

Anyways, without a doubt, I think the greatest Golden Age covers would definitely have to be the ones L. B. Cole did for various publishers:

Star Publications:

JwVtB9D.jpg

Novelty Press:

lum1d3X.jpg

Tem Publishing:

RlE2XwA.jpg

Aviation Press:

MxgtI8E.jpg

Rural Home Publications:

cIHQoDw.jpg

Narrative:

AuT1jgn.jpg

Four Star Publications:

mxVxp00.jpg

Edited by Electricmastro

Seconded, Everett's horror covers are classic.  There's an unmatched elegance to them that goes well with the visceral.

Lee Elias also had some notables.  

For GGA, Matt Baker takes the cake for me.  A prime case of hot GA comic prices translating into hot OA prices.

Edited by exitmusicblue