• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GREATEST GOLDEN AGE COVER ARTIST

38 posts in this topic

From a cover only standpoint, my pick for the #1 golden age artist is Lou Fine. In my opinion, his cover work, with its strong pulp influence, makes most other golden age artwork look cartoonish. The following are just a few of his more classic covers. I don't remember ever seeing the original artwork to these though. Anyone have any information as to why? I think the Victor Fox destroyed the Fox Publications covers.

P.S. These are not my comics. Hopefully, I'm not devaluing them.......

Weird1.jpg

Weird2.jpg

Sc1.jpg

SC2.jpg

nat18.jpg

nat16.jpg

NAT7.jpg

MM3.jpg

MM8.jpg

MM3.jpg

MM2.jpg

mm.jpg

Jungle1.jpg

Jumbo10.jpgHIT1.jpg

FAN5.jpg

FAN3.jpg

I don't think too many people will argue about Lou Fine.

I'd add L.B. Cole and Alex Schomburg to the short list vying for the title of "Greatest Golden Age Cover Artist".

10285_4_011.jpg

436_4_1.jpg

335_4_03.jpg

237_4_028.jpg

But my personal favorite is Creig Flessel. yay.gif

98_4_0046.jpg

87_4_0008.jpg

I'd add L.B. Cole and Alex Schomburg to the short list vying for the title of "Greatest Golden Age Cover Artist".

237_4_028.jpg

FAN3.jpg

Schomburg would be my #2 for golden age artists overall, he's certainly the "Busiest". Look at the detail in the Captain America #28 and then compare it to the detail of the Fantastic Comics #3. This is why Lou is my choice for #1. Obviously, just my opinion.

Lou Fine doesn't make my top two, but your other two do. Alex Schomburg and L.B. Cole- I'm proud to have cover art examples by both! thumbsup2.gif

his cover work, with its strong pulp influence, makes most other golden age artwork look cartoonish.

What's wrong with cartoonish? These are cartoons after all, not illustration art. Too many collectors seem to look for the sheer number of brush strokes as indicative of quality, ie. Fine, Wrightson, Adams, etc. Personally, I prefer a comic book to look like a comic book ala Cole, Romita, Sal Buscema, John Stanley, Al Feldstein, DeCarlo, Manning, Swan, etc. I appreciate the former, but prefer the latter. Anyone else??

I'm fairly new to the GA scene, but from what I've seen I like the following cover artists:

Capt. Science #6 cover..though I'm not sure who did it.

774_4_6.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Al Feldstein's a fav of mine as well...

836_4_07.jpg

836_4_06.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

L.B. Cole

785_4_114.jpg

785_4_116.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

...and Don Heck!

938_4_05.jpg

938_4_09.jpg

938_4_12.jpg

-Hart

his cover work, with its strong pulp influence, makes most other golden age artwork look cartoonish.

What's wrong with cartoonish? These are cartoons after all, not illustration art. Too many collectors seem to look for the sheer number of brush strokes as indicative of quality, ie. Fine, Wrightson, Adams, etc. Personally, I prefer a comic book to look like a comic book ala Cole, Romita, Sal Buscema, John Stanley, Al Feldstein, DeCarlo, Manning, Swan, etc. I appreciate the former, but prefer the latter. Anyone else??

Whilst I have a leaning towards illustrative styles, I also have a love of those artists who combine a blend of illustration/cartooning in their work (if that makes sense?!). Here, I'm thinking of people like Harvey Kurtzman, Steve Ditko, Al Feldstein and Alex Schomburg (to name a few). Funny thing about Schomburg is that even though there's a cartoonist's leaning in his comic-book work, his pulp illustrations are realistic and precise!

It's all about eye-appeal . . .

while. iam a big fan of lou fine. and l.b cole is nice. i would take a matt baker cover over both of them any day of the week. i would have to say he right up there with vargas as top dog of good girl art.

larry ;]

Just curious, is that because you favor (I don't know if you do or don't) GGA? Or do you think Matt's just the better all around artist?

Nice thread! Lou Fine, Schomburg & LB Cole are among my very favorite GA cover artists, and the covers you folks posted could have been taken right off my want list. Fantastic 3 & 5, Weird 1, Mask 1 & others are at the very top.

Question: does original art for any Lou Fine covers still exist?

Nice thread! Lou Fine, Schomburg & LB Cole are among my very favorite GA cover artists, and the covers you folks posted could have been taken right off my want list. Fantastic 3 & 5, Weird 1, Mask 1 & others are at the very top.

Question: does original art for any Lou Fine covers still exist?

Yeah, there are some Lou Fine covers up for viewing on COMIC ART FANS Galleries, including the cover to PLANET COMICS # 1 (just use the search engine and key-in the artist's name).

Terry

My CAF Galleries at:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=1865

don,t get me wrong. fine is a great artist. i love his usa covers. but when i look at the golden age stuff it the cheese cake covers that do it for me. and when it comes to cheese cake in comics. matt baker is the man..

larry ;]

'Golden Age' covers the period up 1955, right? If so, quite a few of the EC artists should be in hot competition for THE GREATEST GOLDEN AGE COVER ARTIST.

To my mind, Wally Wood's Science Fiction covers for WEIRD SCIENCE are the best-ever for that genre . . . and in the field of Horror Graham Ingels's HAUNT OF FEAR cover images have never been bettered.

Of special note are covers by other EC regulars, such as Al Feldstein, Johnny Craig, Jack Davis, George Evans, Harvey Kurtzman and Reed Crandall.

My CAF Galleries (including nine EC cover originals) at:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=1865