• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

With all of the hysteria over Ewert is KrazyKat now the voice of reason?

8 posts in this topic

ACTUAL e-mail I received this morning from a potential buyer of some of my CGC graded books:

"After reading the boards this weekend about Jason Ewert I'm going to take a pause on buying comics. its the underhandedness of this hobby that really turns me off. I think I will buy OA now instead as I dont have to worry about resoration issues. I hope I didnt prevent you from selling your books to someone else. I will let you know If I change my mind. Thanks."

Hi Dem,

There is no doubt that the Ewert fiasco and other labeling issues will hurt CGC in certain circles. But there are a lot of collectors who will not care and will continue to go after ultra high grade slabs. See Comics General thread about that for details. There's more threads about it than you can count.

I sold off my high grade slabs over the past 3 or so years becuase I just don't believe most of the mid to late Silver Age books (and newer) will hold crazy multiples-of-guide values once more and more high grade books get slabbed and come to market. And I'm not trying to start another debate about the market, I'm just stating my own stance on it.

I collect OA because I love it, not because I hope it'll fund my retirement some day. I hope the speculator/investible/collectors don't suddenly jump ship to OA, drive up demand and prices, and ruin it for those of us who love the art for its own sake.

The lesson for the slab buyers should still be "buy what you love" and don't chase the labels. If you want an investment, get thee to Wall Street. tongue.gif There are already a lot of people into OA just for the $$$. There will be more. The question is, how many more. We'll see.

Let's start a bunch of threads about how the Rob Liefeld art is the hottest potential investible of them all and see what happens!!! 27_laughing.gifwink.gif

MAIN THREAD - ORIGINAL VERSION (LOOOOONG)

http://boards.collectors-society.com/sho...e=0&fpart=1

SIMPLIFIED VERSION

http://boards.collectors-society.com/sho...rt=all&vc=1

BOROCK'S PR

http://boards.collectors-society.com/sho...0&fpart=all

GENERAL FORUM - (The Majority of Posts are About 'The Crisis')

http://boards.collectors-society.com/postlist.php?Cat=0&Board=comicgen&page=0

Thanks KK; this is the very reason I got out of collecting comics. I will never go back, it's a fool's game and the deck is stacked against you. At least with original art it is one of a kind and the community is smaller. If you educate yourself, you can usually prevent getting ripped off by scumbags... with comics there is no way to protect yourself. When cgc came along all the dishonest people in the hobby didn't just go away... they just got craftier. Who needs it!!?... buy a piece of oa and you can have a real smile on your face (not a restored one). DF

p.s. who ever said KrazyKat wasn't the voice of reason?????????????????????

Thanks KK; this is the very reason I got out of collecting comics. I will never go back, it's a fool's game and the deck is stacked against you. At least with original art it is one of a kind and the community is smaller. If you educate yourself, you can usually prevent getting ripped off by scumbags... with comics there is no way to protect yourself. When cgc came along all the dishonest people in the hobby didn't just go away... they just got craftier. Who needs it!!?... buy a piece of oa and you can have a real smile on your face (not a restored one). DF

p.s. who ever said KrazyKat wasn't the voice of reason?????????????????????

For myself, I got rid of most of my comics years ago. Nowadays, I'm happy to have inexpensive reprints of favourite titles - which are readily available in different formats. At least I can READ the comics in reprint format - unlike slabbed books, which you daren't crack open for fear of compromising the grade/lose value.