• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wizard World Boston Reports/art?

8 posts in this topic

I posted a similar write-up in the middle of gman's thread about Boston WW in Comics General. Apologies for cross posting if you already read it there. However, this version has been added to and edited to focus more on OA for this forum:

I got there about 11:00 and there was still a long line. Got in quick, made the rounds. Didn't see much new stuff in the way of pre-hero Marvel comics, although Rich Muchin was sharing table space with Bechara and I inquired about pre-hero Marvels, even though there didn't appear to be much out. Lo and behold some stuff materialized from a box behind the table. It pays to ask if you don't see it. I ended up getting Journey Into Mystery 64 (Rorgg, King of the Spider Monsters), 73 (The Spider Strikes) and 76 price variant. cloud9.gifyay.gif

f3f00281.jpg

Bechara had a nice selection of OA and had a few new items of Kirby original art that I liked, but wasn't prepared to shell out the $$ for them. One of our illustrious board members had his eye on one of the pages, but I'll let him share that if he picks it up tomorrow. gossip.gif (NOTE: turns out that was Alberto trying to decide between the 2 pages from Cap 100 that Bechara had. I think he made the right choice -- HEY ALBERTO -- post that thing, will ya???). Bechara also had a splash with a huge image of Thor and Sif which I didn't care for too much and he had a nice Thor vs Destroyer page. He had the usual selection of fun stuff, and lots of comics too.

Looked at Albert Moy's table, but there was nothing new that caught my eye and imho his prices on the Kirby and Ditko pages I like are too high, so I didn't seriously look at anything. confused-smiley-013.gif

A guy I was not familiar with had a booth with some great art, although I didn't buy anything. I may follow up on a few pieces though. He had a whole bunch of very nice Joe Jusko stuff, as well as a nice variant selection of Gold, Silver, Bronze, and Modern art. Golden Age included a couple Captain Marvel pages, Silver included some Russ Heath and others. Had some Bronze art, and I was really tempted to pick up some modern Allred pieces. He also had few Alex Ross pieces. He was not familiar with comicartfans.com so I encouraged him to check it out and consider creating a banner or a for sale gallery because I think he could move some art there.

I looked up Rob_React and chatted for a while at his booth in Artists Alley, and confirmed the dinner location and time for that night and hit the floor. Saw Mr. C's Comics, Blazing Bob, Kevin Boyd and the CGC crew, Drummy and others. Ran into Ted from Superworld -- he didn't set up but he was perusing the show.

Here's Rob talking to a fan:

1c15e2e6.jpg

I really wanted some art, and walked around artists alley. Jim Starlin was in the house, but he didn't bring any original pages -- just some small sketches. They were nice, but nothing really grabbed me. However, as I was passing by the ACTOR booth, Jim was finishing up a nice Thanos sketch and I ended up buying. It's oversized on 11 1/2 x 17 inch paper -- not a small 8.5 x 11 piece. Penciled and inked by Jim. cloud9.gifheadbang.gif

Thanos3.jpg

I left the show about 4:30, went to my hotel where I called comicartfan (I wanted to meet him at the show but forgot to bring his phone number with me foreheadslap.gif ) and then met Rob_React at a local bar, JJ Foleys. We had a drink and went to Legal Seafood. Unfortunately the majority of people did not make it to the dinner.

Kudos to Nikos and Alberto who did show up. We felt bad for the restaurant for having to change our group reservation to a table for 4, but we enjoyed the small group dinner and it was great to get to know Alberto and Nick. hi.gif

Overall it was a good show, although not one of the best for art. Obviously a few people picked some things up, and it was nice to get acquainted with some of the other board members I hadn't met. The hall seemed really busy for the majority of Saturday while I was there, and hopefully the show will continue to build momentum in the future. I like Boston and would travel there for a show again sometime.