• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vendor at the Englishtown NJ Flea Market

18 posts in this topic

Doing some simple math,I'd conclude that "an old man" from the 70s is most likely no longer dealing comics. Nor breathing.

I went there a few times and bought from several different sellers,but don't really remember them.

Doing some simple math,I'd conclude that "an old man" from the 70s is most likely no longer dealing comics. Nor breathing.

I went there a few times and bought from several different sellers,but don't really remember them.

sign-funnypost.gif

When I was a kid back in the 70's, I used to purchase some beautiful Golden and Silver Age comics from a old man at the Englishtown NJ Flea Market. Does anyone on this forum know of his whereabouts? Is he still dealing?

If its the guy I'm thinking of, I bought a Spidey # 2 from him back in 1986. It was beat to hell, but I think he asked only $30 for it.

Was there a fire there to destroyed all of his comics?

Really can't say. I only went to Englishtown a couple of times in the mid 80s, and for the most part it was for Sportscards, not comics.

There was a better comic and mag place at another flea market to the South, though I can't think of the town's name for the life of me. Guy had tons of stuff. I remember buying a NM Spidey # 129 for $5 (right as the hype of the Punisher Mini-Series was getting off the ground).

Really can't say. I only went to Englishtown a couple of times in the mid 80s, and for the most part it was for Sportscards, not comics.

There was a better comic and mag place at another flea market to the South, though I can't think of the town's name for the life of me. Guy had tons of stuff. I remember buying a NM Spidey # 129 for $5 (right as the hype of the Punisher Mini-Series was getting off the ground).

Peddler's Village, by any chance? My parents took me there once and I got a pretty good stack of books. If memory serves, there was an Action #494 and #495 in there. (I loved #494 and waited forever to find the second part of the story! I guess you could say that Action #495 was my first grail book.)

Peddler's Village, by any chance? My parents took me there once and I got a pretty good stack of books. If memory serves, there was an Action #494 and #495 in there. (I loved #494 and waited forever to find the second part of the story! I guess you could say that Action #495 was my first grail book.)

No, I don't think that was the one. I'm pretty sure the one I'm thinking of was located in a flea market somewhere in Freehold township.

I bought from the guy in the mid 70's, remember getting multiple copies of Silver Surfer books for 35 cents apiece( He had stacks/multple copies of unread 60's marvels) & an unopened box of Wham-O giant comics, sold all of the comics, but still have the Wham-O box.

No, I don't think that was the one. I'm pretty sure the one I'm thinking of was located in a flea market somewhere in Freehold township.

Hmm....I grew up in Freehold and I'm drawing a blank. confused-smiley-013.gif I'll rack my brains for all my old haunts.

On 10/5/2005 at 8:22 PM, EggsAckley said:

I bought from the guy in the mid 70's, remember getting multiple copies of Silver Surfer books for 35 cents apiece( He had stacks/multple copies of unread 60's marvels) & an unopened box of Wham-O giant comics, sold all of the comics, but still have the Wham-O box.

When I was in college, I dated a girl who’s father founded Wham-O. In addition to all the hula hoops and frisbees I got, I a pile of the giant comics. Long gone now.

Back in the late sixties, the father of a friend of my younger brother used to sell antiques at the Englishtown Flea Market.  The market was huge, mostly outside vendors but there were a few cinder block structures where regular dealers & food booths set up businesses.  I went down with them a few Saturday mornings during the summer and inside one of the cement block buildings was an older guy who had back issues.  If I remember correctly, he'd (or one of his helpers) be behind a counter, like a ticket booth.  I'd ask him for an Avengers 16 and he'd move to his right or left or behind and back issues would be organized on the walls in either horizontal slots or stand-up bookshelf style.  He'd pick the book and you'd pay him.  One Saturday, I was down there with some paper route cash (i was about 12) and gave him a list of a couple dozen comics.  He got annoyed because it was going to take too much time to pick the books.  ???  I thought that's why here was there every Saturday... ?  Anyway, I did get some early Silver Age from him but nothing key.  I probably have a few of the books still in my collection.  I went down there 10 years later and no store.  

A couple years later, the father of a friend wanted to go to Peddler's Village which was only 20 minutes from my house.  Peddler's was a LOT smaller than Englishtown.  Had never been there. I was looking in the little antique shops and spotted a Skyman #3 with an Ogden Whitney cover.  The only comic book in the showcase.  Maybe the only comic I saw that entire afternoon.  It was a nice copy in a Ziplock bag.  The older lady wanted $15.  I didn't have any cash so I asked my friend's dad for the money and he said 'yes'.  I got the book.  Took me a couple weeks to pay him back.  This was about 1970 or so.  I took care of the comic and sent it into CGC and got a 7.0.  Still have it and years later found the 1, 2 & 4 to complete the set.  I also got a nice Big Shot Comics #1 / 1st appearance Skyman thru Heritage at a nice price over ten years ago.  When i started driving, I took a trip back to Peddler's and went into that same shop.  The lady was still there.  I told her about the Skyman #3 and she remembered the book.  She pointed to a box in a corner and there were a bunch of pulps.  I didn't much about them.  Weird Tales (not the older, big ones) and various horror and science fiction titles.  All 30's-40's stuff.  Maybe about 50 books.  We worked out a deal.  I remember paying $235 for the box.  They were in decent shape for pulps.  A few Robert E. Howard Conan stories including Red Nails.  Over the next few years, I sold a small amount of them thru another comic shop and The Buyers Guide.  I traveled with the remainder down to a pulp convention (1978-ish?) in Cherry Hill, NJ on a Sunday afternoon.  I walked the floor but no one was that interested.  I don't think the dealers had a good weekend.  Finally, as I was about ready to leave, a dealer came over from Kansas City.  We talked for a short while and he offered $440 for everything.  I happily accepted and left with the cash.  Those were happy days...

On 10/7/2005 at 8:21 PM, JiveTurkeyMoFo said:

That's the one! Collingswood. The guy had a comic and mag stall. Can't remember his name, but his 13 year old assistant was sure annoying.

The Collingswood auction was run by a guy named Dennis assuming it was the guy whose comic and mag stall was a disorganized mess that looked like a collyer's mansion. Dennis is still alive but retired and his remaining comic stock was sold to a younger guy.