• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Giant X Men 1 CGC 9.4 - getting out of hand already?
1 1

35 posts in this topic

The prices on the afore-mentioned issue is getting a little, well, frisky:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=714816181

Comments on what it'll reach by the movie? Longer term potential? It certainly seems to be matching Hulk 181 for the higher grades now. This time last year you could comfortably get this for under $1000. The one due to end on ebay next is already on $1700+

Yeh, I'd be curious as to how many of these there are out there. I understand that every single copy for the most part had to come out after the movie..but it just seems like everyone has a copy of this book. As far as spending over 2,000 dollars on one all I'll say is I could think of some other comics I'd rather put the money on.

Brian

If the number of available copies of GS #1 was equal to or less than the number of X-Men #1 copies, I would expect those two books to already be close in price, and for GS #1 to eventually become the clear leader. Given the current larger population of GS #1, I doubt it.

Is this a price blip or a trend? Tough to say... I'd lean towards a blip. We'll see if these sales chase any copies out of the woodwork, increasing the number of copies available to bid on.

I'd say by next year at this time a 9.4 Giant-Size X-Men #1 will be selling close to $4000. Its the most popular comic with the modern age comic collectors. Very much in demand. Even though there is more of these slabbed then X-Men #1 at the higher grade level, they are still hard to come by. Just not enough nice copies to go around. I don't think it will ever reach the price level of the original X-Men #1, but I believe it will be considered as one of the higher priced books. Mainly because its a very important key issue. The movie helped in the demand for this book and the cartoon show also. The next X-Men movie can only help the demand even more.

I'm amazed at how quickly this book has gone out of control. 3-4 years ago, this was a $400-500 book. It is a very high demand book, but I don't think these current prices can sustain themselves. I think this particular book may have received a little more attention due to its white pages, and I've noticed a lot of collectors pay very close attention to page quality - page quality can make a substantial difference in final price.

Yes, I agree totally regarding page quality. When I sold my copy, a few other 9.6s sold around that time for $2,000. However, it might have helped that ComicLink sold a 9.8 copy at the same time for over $5,800 so my copy would have seemed liked a bargain! I highly doubt that a 9.4 will go for $4,000 within a year. There are far too many copies out there! frown.gif

I highly doubt that a 9.4 will go for $4,000 within a year. There are far too many copies out there!

I've gotta agree here - 9.6's and better might continue to go up, but once you get above $2k, the pool of collectors that can afford this book (with the census numbers out there) goes way down...

sold for "only $2550"? Man, I remember when this book was newsstand fresh for 50cents. My copy graded at 9.6, and I was very happy a couple years ago when I thought I unloaded it to some fool for $1750. I guess I was the fool, eh?? Oh well, I was able to use the money for food. crazy.gif

Yeah, after a year of poor results for 9.6 copies, it appears to be picking up. I remember the good old days of $3,000+ for 9.6s. Now, it appears that white paged copies are becoming more in demand! blush.gif