• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Daredevil #7 on Ebay...

10 posts in this topic

Hey folks -

One of my favorite covers and tough-to-find-in-HG issues is on Ebay...I'm sure many of you have seen the Daredevil #7 in CGC 9.2 NM- already. Great issue, minor DD key, terrific art, etc.

My question for anyone who knows a lot more than I do about the comic market is whether the info in the auction description - that a 9.4 went for over 5K and another 9.2 (ctowp) went for 2.5 large - is legit. I see the bidding is already way up, so I may not be able to bid anyway, but is this ($2500) what folks think it'll go for given scarcity and demand?

Any thoughts are welcome. Looks like a nice copy, although not the most detailed scan I've seen. (If anyone can get the link, I'd appreciate it.)

Thanks!

Dan

The seller is exaggerating slightly. Recent data points on Daredevil #7 in 9.2 or better:

• CGC 9.2 ow $1153 on 5/12/02
  • CGC 9.2 cr/ow $2025 on 8/16/02
  • CGC 9.4 white Western Penn $4945 on 9/7/02

This is a highly desirable book, but $2500 for a 9.2 sounds like a risk unless you're planning to keep it for years. Daredevils were slumping before the movie announcement was made about a year ago...they're likely to slump again over the next 6 to 12 months. Remember, the movie just came out two months ago...movie hype is dwindling but not gone yet.

Oh...and I could be wrong, but based upon the way the scan in the auction looks and the saved web page I have for the data point above from 5/12/02, they look like exactly the same copy. So I'm thinking the one up on E-Bay previously went for $1153 about eleven months ago.

I'd go for the F.F. 8 currently on ebay myself (CGC NM- 9.2 with White pages) if you really want to blow $2,500 on a 9.2 grin.gif

Seriously, its a great cover, and yes, not easy to find in high grade, but you really would need to keep that book in your collection for years before realizing a decent return on a $2,500 investment.

Just a thought wink.gif

Thanks to both of you for the input. I actually didn't intend to bid $2500 on that particular book, but if I went above $1500 I would indeed have to plan to keep it in my collection for a long while. Desire will probably have to take a back seat to practicality in the long run.

And you're right, that FF #8 is also quite nice. Could be worth keeping an eye on! (It also has a pretty cool cover IMO...)

Dan

This is a highly desirable book, but $2500 for a 9.2 sounds like a risk unless you're planning to keep it for years. Daredevils were slumping before the movie announcement was made about a year ago...they're likely to slump again over the next 6 to 12 months. Remember, the movie just came out two months ago...movie hype is dwindling but not gone yet.

This is a very good point. If anyone is buying Daredevil books in the hope of them appreciating in the future, now is not the time to do it. Wait around for 6-12 months then buy, the heat on the character will then be off. The danger then of course is that there will be less DD listings and patience will become a factor.

Good things come to he who waits. grin.gif

Actually, from what I've seen, DD has already cooled down significantly. A 7 in 9.2 is not something that is a product of movie hype. It is well known as one of the toughest Marvels, and has ALWAYS been in high demand in these lofty grades.

Don't expect to ever get a deal on this book.

If you want a good price, check out the pirces or raw DD's right now. There are a lot of bargains.

I bid 4K on the Western Penn 9.4, which I thought was enough. As rare as the book is in true NM, I couldn't see the same book, or another copy repeating that feat anytime in the near future.

If you're going to go for the 9.2, I'd recommend not going too far over 2K.

A 7 in 9.2 is not something that is a product of movie hype. It is well known as one of the toughest Marvels, and has ALWAYS been in high demand in these lofty grades.

Agreed. I started a thread on this very book a few months back. Always been a tough one and even the movie hype didn't shake out many copies.

Yea, its super sweet but I agree, wait a bit, one will show up. But then again, about a year and a half ago I sold a GS X-men 1 9.6 white pages for $1550, (100 more than I paid for it) b/'c I had an opportunity I couldn't pass up on another book. Now the damn thing sells for 2250 or more?Not that DD 7 is any GS X-men 1

Not that DD 7 is any GS X-men 1

That's right.....DD 7 is MUCH rarer.