• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

If you had $5000 to invest in comics.........
1 1

Would you get  

120 members have voted

1. 1. Would you get

95 posts in this topic

I know most people on this Board are capitalists who aren't opposed to making a buck or two, but it seems like we're getting one of these "what comics to invest in?" type threads almost every day now. I don't think we even had this kind of speculative froth when people were shelling out an arm and a leg for CGC books at all-time high prices (for most books) a year ago at the height of the Spidey movie/CGC mania. What gives? Is it because many books are selling for a fraction of what they used to? Is it because of the DD-X2-Hulk movie mania trifecta? Is it because people have become so disillusioned by the economy and traditional investments like stocks and bonds?

I think even the most ardent bulls must realize that it is not a good sign when people talk more about what's printed on the CGC label or published in the CGC census than what's actually printed on the pages of a comic.

Gene

maybe the word invest threw you off...........I should have said waste on comics that you like ........not necessarily to make a profit but it really doesnt make sense buying books that you know wont accumilate value.........wanna buy 100 copies of X-force #1 laugh.gif

I think even the most ardent bulls must realize that it is not a good sign when people talk more about what's printed on the CGC label or published in the CGC census than what's actually printed on the pages of a comic

"Signs, Signs, everywhere signs....can't you read the sign?"

Too true, I appreciate threads about grading etc. as much as the next guy, but I've pondered more than once, about why more threads are not devoted to comic book characters, storylines, writers, artists, titles, etc.

P.S. - The Jim Lee Visionaries volume is awesome!! Just so you know (if you didn't already) it collects ALL of his Uncanny X-Men work. smile.gif He sure could draw a mean Wolverine, and a sexy Psylocke! tongue.gif

As this is the CGC site, it is the appropriate place for discussion of values, prices, crashes, restoration, ebay nonsense whatever. There are plenty of fanboy chat rooms for the discussion of characters and stories. Anybody that knows this stuff can tell you that the safest investments are between the $50 to $500 range. A lot of people can and will buy comics in that range. when you start getting close to $1000 the market gets very limited and $5000 you are talking collectors you can count on your fingers. The very expensive books can be more difficult to sell in a hurry if you need to. others would argue to buy the highest graded and most expensive book because there is always a market for the best. There are always those that must have the best - but the cgc census is always being upgraded and the prices on the 9.4+ books fluctuate a lot. If you stick to the more moderately priced books that have prices not out of all reality with the guide, that is the safest way to do things, but as anyone with an mba will tell you, nothing is guaranteed. For those interested in assurance or insurance, I would challenge you to find a sure thing for us.

The best reason to buy comic books is because you like to read them and have an appreciation of the characters. Don't worry so much about what they may be worth in the future.

Why haven't you included an option in your poll to invest the $5000 on something other than comics?

If you seriously have $5000 to invest, I would consider speaking to a financial advisor about what are currently the best investment returns.

Arm yourself with information, then make an informed decision.

Some good points about liquidity clobby.

Titan, the guide is a good place to start when trying to pick books that have room for growth. Look for books that have been dormant for a while that contain First Appearances/ Battle covers etc that may become popular in the future.

Go for high grade and don't pay huge guide multiples, thats where the greatest risks lie.

There are plenty of fanboy chat rooms for the discussion of characters and stories.

Oh really? Let's see a list. No really, I would like to check these fanboy boards out.

It sounds to me like you could care less about what other collector's at THIS messageboard are interested in! confused.gif Hmmm...maybe your right, it's all about business around here. smirk.gif Well, that and a little neighbor Jones envy. laugh.gif

As this is the CGC site, it is the appropriate place for discussion of values, prices, crashes, restoration, ebay nonsense whatever. There are plenty of fanboy chat rooms for the discussion of characters and stories.

A slightly odd comment this.

Without the characters and stories there would be no values, prices etc to talk about. Comics ARE characters and stories, there is nothing else.

Not quite sure where you are coming from on this one.

About as odd as you telling the guy not to bother investing in comics and to seek a financial advisor. If you check around comic sites there are plenty of discussions going on about what is in the comics. This is the CGC site - I assume you know that. CGC has very little to do with what is in the comic - you can't read or look at any of the cgc books I have. That statement was addressed to the guy who was pondering why so much of this value talk comes up around here. this is the place for it I would say. Now back to your advice not to invest in comics and to see a banker. I would assume that someone talking about spending $5k on comics has a pretty comfortable income and is fairly financially savvy - so your advice is patronizing at best. I imagine such an individual has a varied portfolio and may be diversifying. Again find something guaranteed for me please. That talk sounds like an insurance sales man to me. There are lots of people buying and selling comics and making money - i guess Bob S., Josh, the guys at Metro, Greggy just do this purely for fun and like throwing their money out the window. As with all investments, some know how to do it and can make money - others become street pizza by investing in Harbinger 1s, Spidey 166 9.6, Ultimate what nots - you know just like high risk stocks or sure things like ENRON or Worldcom etc. Nothing is guaranteed.

Edited by clobberintime

As with all investments, some know how to do it and can make money - others become street pizza by investing in Harbinger 1s, Spidey 166 9.6, Ultimate what nots - you know just like high risk stocks or sure things like ENRON or Worldcom etc. Nothing is guaranteed.

I agree with that. I am not suggesting that all comics are worthless and there is no money to be made.

You are making an assumption that Titan has invested his money in other areas and is now looking to diversify. He has not stated that anywhere that I can see. My post was advising him to consider ALL his options before sinking money into comic books. If he already has other bases covered, then that is fine. I'm not saying "don't buy comic books you are headed for a fall", but what I am saying is make sure you are well informed before you do so.

Not quite sure where you are coming from on this one.

I havent been around here that long, but I can already see where this conversation is going...and have read it 2 or 3 times already on these boards. SURE---we all LOVE comics and characters! That's why we buy them and save them.

BUT--what MOST of us here all have in common is the desire to buy comics (and as far below their current values as we can) and regardless of how much we end up paying , hope and EXPECT the values to increase---whether we want to flip them or not, sooner or later ans we base our purchases on these considerations!

I agree with the statement you quote. These are the CGC boards where comics collectors interested in the grades (hence VALUES) of their collections have come to sicus their prized possessions and contemplate future buys.

Additionally--this particular thread started with the question od what would we buy with $5000. Even with todays prices of comics, you cant spend that much om NEW books...so inherently the question was directed at appreciation in value...not great stories or art!

Additionally--this particular thread started with the question od what would we buy with $5000. Even with todays prices of comics, you cant spend that much om NEW books...so inherently the question was directed at appreciation in value...not great stories or art!

Thats true, but Clobby's statement was addressed at the forum as a whole and not just this thread.

The fact remains that comics would be worthless without characters and stories that people could relate to/ had nostalgia for.

You cannot discuss values/ grades in a vacuum. The reason WHY they are valuable is also part of the equation.

boy you guys are fast typers...you replied and rereplied before I finished my now redundant comment!

Personally, I think the question too wide open. A more specific question would seek to find consensus on which approach is better: higher or lower grade, more comics or fewer 'better ones'...etc which eras to concentrate on, and for the short or long run appreciation.

How about this: What would be the WORST way to spend/invest $40,000 in comics now?

And no, JGreen is NOT allowed to participate....

How about this: What would be the WORST way to spend/invest $40,000 in comics now?

Highest graded on the census books.

For example CGC 9.9 & 10.0 modern books like Origin #1, USM #1 and Wolverine LS #1. Even CGC 9.8 Bronze books fall into the high risk catagory.

Bronze/ Modern books have the highest probabiity of growing in numbers on the CCG census.

You got the idea of what i meant. You can discuss anything you want on here. Deke complained about all this comic book value stuff - this is the place for it. where else can it be discussed? I like talking about characters and stories too - as long as it is stuff prior to 1990 as I don't buy a lot of new comics. i basically learned how to read from those early Marvels and know some stories by heart. But CGc in and of itself is about the money and investing side of these collectibles.

totally agree...highest grade in census (at astronomical prices) is crazy on Modern.

But less so the further back you go...depending again on the title and issue. You can overpay for "HGC" on out-of-the-mainstream Golden Age 9.6s too! Especially those Mile High copies of obscure Golden Age titles. Jut cause its a 9.6 and The Best There Is, doesnt make it worth more than its always been.

I have had discussions myself with some of the real big wheels in comics and a lot of them put their money where their mouths are and only buy the best. They feel there will always be those that have to have it. Folks in that category are Josh, Toychef, Bronzebruce, Brulato, JP and a few others. If you have the money and can stomach the risk then fine. I think it is too risky with price volatility and cgc being fairly new. I will buy a few 9.6s and 9.8s if the price is right and it is a favorite book otherwise i don't even pay attention. There are only a handful of folks that spend thousands per comic but there are a vast amount that can spend $50 to $500.

laugh.giflol...........I cant believe you guys have sliced and diced my question disecting it into little pieces I feel like Jeff Daniels in dumb and Dumber when his leg is on fire and the girl is giving him her number just give me the number replacing number with the word answer in this casegrin.gif

What would you buy if you had $5000 to spend on books? whether its for investment ,something you always wanted the highest grade of a certain book whatever!

Edited by Titan777