• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

If you had $5000 to invest in comics.........
1 1

Would you get  

120 members have voted

1. 1. Would you get

95 posts in this topic

Welcome to the two star poster club! laugh.gif

Ok, if everyone will start by giving the others in the group, your name first.

Hi everyone, my name is The_Man_Of_Steel, and I"m a two star poster laugh.gif, my star rating began long ago, with the "haters" of the board frown.gif ...

What would you buy if you had $5000 to spend on books?

I would stretch the money out over a period of time, and purchase the books I want and like. I would fill holes in runs, extend runs (of titles such as ASM vol. 1 for example), and purchase a few slabbed bronze keys in high grade (such as ASM 119 (Hulk app), 120 (Hulk app), 121, 122). I would purchase ALL Gil Kane ASM books that are valued at less than $100. I would also purchase a run of Uncanny X-Men starting with issue 144 - 400+. I would purchase a complete high grade run of the Simpson's comics, and a complete high grade run of the Marvel Star Wars title. I would also use some of the money to purchase Mylites and acid-free backer boards, and acid free boxes. tongue.gif I could go on, and on with books and titles, but I think you get the point.

>>I have had discussions myself with some of the real big wheels in comics and a lot of them put their money where their mouths are and only buy the best. They feel there will always be those that have to have it. Folks in that category are Josh, Toychef, Bronzebruce, Brulato, JP and a few others.

Bwaaah Hahahahahaha

You really believe these guys are BIG WHEELS in the comic collecting world? You can't be serious? These are people willing to pay huge bucks for ultra high-grade CGC material, nothing more, nothing less.

Someone like Geppi would be on my list of big wheel collectors, not these CGC madmen.

P.S. No offense Bruce, and Clobby put you on the list. grin.gif

Someone like Geppi would be on my list of big wheel collectors, not these CGC madmen.
He didn't say collectors, he said "big wheels" with no qualification...that could be collectors or investors. There's at least one, maybe two, "big wheel" collectors on his list who were buying big before and after CGC, and one HUGE investor who has probably put more money into comic book back issues, graded and ungraded, than Geppi.

>>There's at least one, maybe two, "big wheel" collectors on his list who were buying big before and after CGC, and one HUGE investor who has probably put more money into comic book back issues, graded and ungraded, than Geppi.

Sure, that's why I stated:

"These are people willing to pay huge bucks for ultra high-grade CGC material, nothing more, nothing less."

If that's your definition of a big wheel, then by all means, follow their rather simplistic "buy the best, no matter the cost" advice to your own doom.

Re: nice [!@#%^&^] on smurfette?

You are one sick puppy. grin.gif

I would buy what I need in my collection. Probably a few early FF's in Fine or better in the 2 - 20 range. Thinking that the 5 grand would run out pretty quick.

Back to the original question. 20-100 books in the $50-100 range. Lots more potential for growth and certainly more bang for your buck if you actually want to read them(what a novel idea). Try to buy raw if you know how to grade conservatively since most stuff that you can buy for under $100 you can find in HG raw and don't have to shell out the multiples for a slabbed copy. Key and minor key books from Marvel and DC are always a good bet especially in 9.0 or better.

What's with all the nit-pickers critiquing the question without even bothering to answer it?? confused.gif

I agree with a few of the folks above that high grade (NM or better, raw or not) books in the $50-$500 range would be the best set of books to "invest" in. Adams and Steranko late 60's/early 70's books, semi-keys like the Spideys mentioned above (119, 120, 136), etc.,. Stay mainstream, and avoid anything published after 1980 (except for keys). wink.gif

To comment on another point Clobby mentioned, while I love comic books and hope the market is viable 10/20/30 years from now, I simply think that the pool of collectors that can purchase the best books is much, much, much smaller now than it was 10 years ago, and comics have just about priced themselves out of the reach of most collectors. I don't necessarily buy the argument of many on this board that gold/silver/bronze age comics won't be wanted by collectors in 30 years (due to changing demographics of the collector base), but I do believe they are becoming too expensive to be collected on a widespread basis. For example, three or four years ago there were many more collectors that could swing the $800-1k needed to pick up a high grade Hulk 181 than there are now that can afford a 9.4+. Glass ceiling anyone???