• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wally Wood's Cannon

10 posts in this topic

Can anyone fill me in on the story behind Wally Woods 1960s book Heroes Inc presents Cannon. This book was considered rare in the 1980s but I see a bunch on Ebay. Overstreet says 2000 were printed but not distributed. Yet the new Maestronet auction is listing a lot that contains 2100 copies sealed in the original "Ronalds" shipping cartons. Is this a typo and they meant World comics, or is there a second print? I am interested in some other items contained in the same lot and would like to know what I bidding on as far as these go. Rest of the lot is approx. 5000 Monster mags and promos. Do you think I could wholesale the Cannons for a buck a peice?

I doubt that they mean the Ronalds box, as they weren't printing comics back in the 1960s. I believe the Overstreet has a short write-up regarding how 50% of the print run got stolen from a warehouse many years ago. This book is extremely common. I saw a dealer at San Diego with over 100 copies selling them for a dollar a piece even though I believe that it guides for $12 in the Overstreet.

Ditto. At the LA Shrine show last monthI ran into a nice dealer from Sacramento who was blowing them out for $2 a pop. Apparently this was a bona fide "warehouse find," and the available supply of these books now far exceeds demand. (Your results may vary by region.)

There was a seller on ebay a few years back that was selling them in 100 count lots every week for at least a year. The lots usually went for around $40. The seller had tons of them. I bought some & used them for trade bait for about a year before they basically flooded the whole damn market. Very nice condition & quality book that is everywhere.

In a phone call, I was assured that the 7 sealed cases of Cannon were indeed from Ronalds.Since they were not making comics in the 60s, it seems something is really wrong with this picture. They are selling 2100, a buyer on ebay sold lots of 100 on a regular basis yet Overstreet is still saying only 2000 were printed. Anyone know anything else about this?

Anyone know anything else about this?

There's a sealed case on ebay right now that is going for $99. I don't think you would be able to get near $1 a book for them. Best bet would be to throw a case on ebay, hope to get $100 or so & then e-mail the 2nd thru 6th bidders & offer them to them at their bids, before all interested parties realize that your sitting on a houseful of them. They are first prints unless they found a way to age paper consistent with the late 60's. Is it possible that the circulation was too low (maybe 20,000) to get the Marvel /DC printer to accept the order so they struck a deal with Ronalds? Or was Ronalds not even around at the time?

shadroch,

Reread Overstreet's comments. It notes that 1800 copies were stored in a warehouse and that 900 copies were stolen. It does not note how many copies were printed. Nor does it say that that was the only warehouse that had an inventory of that book.

Ted