• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Detecting a Counterfeit TMNT #1

8 posts in this topic

Hey Guys,

I was looking to buy a 1st print of TMNT #1 and I wanted to get some more info on detecting the counterfeit version of it. Do any of you know anything about this (I googled it, and didn't find anything. Thanks! - Keith

The fact that it's signed i think kills the value (just my opinion). His title is funny "true first issue" I have never seen a counterfeit to compare, i was just going by what OS says. I will read the description tonight and see if i can make any sense of it. The image is kind of bad and the guy has it in the dirtiest protection I have ever seen.

Personally i would avoid, but i hate the turtles smile.gif

picture is terrible, but at face value it looks real. (a real 1st to third print anyway).

I've owned both the counterfeit and the legit... if you can get better pictures out of him (a nice big scan) I might be able to give you some further opinion.

Basically the legit version has a shinier black on the cover, and has more of a rounded spine.

The counterfeit is a slightly more matte black and has a sharper fold at the spine (more pointed instead of rounded). And the tell tale are the marks on the back cover, which this copy doesn't appear to have, as far as I can see (crappy pic though so who knows).

also the sketch looks real and I doubt eastman would sign a counterfeit.

He might have signed it prior to knowing of the fakes.

I need to see a real and fake one side by side to tell the difference in the black back covers.

Also,I'm not sure but I suspect that dirty covering is there to try to alter the entire color scheme.

Think I'd avoid this in the absence of much better scans.