• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is THIS were the F.F. market is going?!?

79 posts in this topic

Sean (Zilla) has been temporarily rendered speechless by the combination of my stunning new Avatar and the auction price realized on the FF33, as he busily scours through his 5000 boxes of back issues for Attuma appearances with a look of intense desperation on his face! laugh.gif

Attuma so hot - who would have ever thunk it? Kind of neat cover with the photo background but not nearly $1200 worth. But what about that FF 12 9.2 ? Hard to find book but just don't see the market at $7000 on that one yet. Maybe if it started lower and you got mrahome and hth and Jgreen in a bidding war it would come close!

The Byrne run in the early-to-mid 200s is just as good, if not better. I haven't read above 300 yet but I've heard Simonson did some good stories somewhere in the low 300s.

I thought Simonson's run was sketchy at best but far superior to the period after Byrne left. His Doom story (#350 or so and since forgottened by Marvel) ranks as one of the best battle issues ever written between the FF and Doc in my opinion.

I'd also move the bar of good FF stories to about #160 or so. At least until the end of the Counter Earth storyline. More sporatic as a run than 1-100 but great stories throughout.

Jim

Personally, my favorite FF run would be from #48-100....Stan and Jack really hit their stride during that period. Great characters, great battles, great art. Followed close by Byrne's run, which is outstanding as well. Can't recall the issue #, but a particularyly great story involved the FF sans powers living in a town. For some reason, Reed just doesn't "feel right". Long story short, when he realizes that their lives are an "illusion", the FF rushes out of their home only to see a gigantic Dr. Doom looing over them. They were trapped in a miniature "snow globe" by Doom!

(Damn! Now I'm gonna have to go dig it out and read it!)

Chris

My favourite FF issues(aside from Byrne's run because I liked them all):

FF 91-93, 120-130, 140-141, 147-149. If I HAD to pick a favourite BYRNE issue, I would have to say FF #245(Childhood's End). I really liked the issue where Johnny was going to give up being the Torch because his number 1 fan "torched" himself("I wanted to be like you". I can't recall the exact number but......"SHOW ME A HERO AND I'LL WRITE YOU A TRAGEDY......IT HAD A HAPPY ENDING AFTER ALL."

If we are talking Fantastic Four epics the I can't look past FF 48-50 as one of the greatest story arc ever written.

Not just one, but two incredible new characters introduced (Silver Surfer & Galactus) and a truly cosmic storyline that also had room for human emotion/feeling.

So big and so yet so small.

Favorite story would have to be F.F. Annual 2, the complete origin of the

diabolical Dr. Doom

JTMoFo-

That's a classic! I have to give props to my man Yertle for hooking me up w/ a copy of FF Annual #2 as he knew my penchant for Dr. Doom comics! laugh.gif

And Beyonder - Great Torch epic! It's fun to read some of the great lines that come from the pages of comics. Think that's why Doom is my favorite charcter. What charisma! What ego!

Chris