• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Today! Triple Threat event in Toronto.

5 posts in this topic

A little late...

Saturday, October 15th, 2005

TRIPLE THREAT: A Manga, Superhero, Videogame extravaganza!

Featuring Adrian Alphona, Svetlana Chmakova, and Ken Siu-Chong

Saturday, October 15th, 2005 2pm-4pm

Palmerston Library, 560 Palmerston Ave.

Just West of Bathurst Subway Stn @ Bloor Street West (Near The Beguiling)

FREE!

An event open to comic and manga readers of all ages, and even those who've never read either before! Come and meet three of the great artists and writers putting together some of the hottest titles in comic books!

MEET IN PERSON:

Adrian Alphona, the artist of Marvel Comics' hit superhero series RUNAWAYS! When a group of teens finds out that their parents are secretly super-villains, they go on the run! Trying to avoid other superheroes, the authorities, and their parents' criminal empire, these would-be heroes have got a lot of growing up to do, and they've gotta do it fast!

Svetlana Chmakova, the artist and writer of the hit new Tokyopop manga title DRAMACON, and the artist of "The Adventures of CG" every month in COSMOGIRL magazine! In Dramacon, we meet a group of anime and manga fans experiencing a lot of ups, downs, betrayals and new loves at an anime convention!

Ken Siu-Chong, the writer of Udon Comics' STREET FIGHTER 2 comic series! Join Ryu, Ken, Chun-Li, Sakura, and all of your favourite video game characters on their quest to become the strongest warriors in the world! Street Fighter 2 picks up right where the enormously popular first series left off, with an all new #0 issue that will be available at the event!

All of the creators will be talking about their work, as well as signing copies of their books, sketching for fans, and answering questions about working in comics! Plus there will be tons of prizes and give-aways donated by Tokyopop, Udon, and The Beguiling!

This event is FREE to the public, but we may have to limit attendance due to space concerns! Make sure to get there early, and bring a sketchbook or paper to draw on!

UPDATE: Here's the poster for this event:

big-oct15-event-500.jpg

I went down to the Triple Threat Event this afternoon and had a very enjoyable time. The signing took place in a room under the Library proper, and there were a few hundred people in attendance, about half of which were under the age of 15. The kids had a great time, and they asked lots of questions during the question and answer portion of the programming. Everyone (including writer Ken Siu-Chong) sketched for the fans well beyond the suggested end time.

Kids were definitely drawn to Svetalana's Dramacon book. At one point she had about 15-20 young girls surrounding her table while she sketched for them.

I picked up a copy of Svetlana's Dramacon trade from Tokyopop. Got Adrian to sign a copy of the Runaways hardcover for me and a copy of the first digest for my nephew. Ken signed some Street Fighter 0's for me (for Paradise).

I hope that the Beguiling and the Palmerston library branch decide to do something like this again.

This was a great event. Just the amount of time was the downside. It was scheduled from 2pm-4pm. I not sure what time it actually ended, but I left around 4:15pm. Something like a 12pm-4pm would've been great. An afternoon with comic creators. Fun event for the kids (and adults who are kids on the inside).

I agree Jason, and one of these days we will actually need to speak! I enjoy your weekly recap reviews on your blog, so keep up the good work!

I left at around 4:30 to head over to the Beguiling and the room was still packed.

I agree Jason, and one of these days we will actually need to speak! I enjoy your weekly recap reviews on your blog, so keep up the good work!

I left at around 4:30 to head over to the Beguiling and the room was still packed.

Hey thanks Kevin.. if you haven't noticed on my blog, I tend to just rush the rest of the reviews the further down I get... just get really lazy. Now when are you gonna update your blog?

See, something like this, the kids get a kick outta it, so the longer it is, the more kids end up happy and with a new love for the comics/books. This was a great turn-out. Would love to see it happen again.