• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Your thoughts on collection reducing

80 posts in this topic

Just curious how you would handle this.

For the last few years,I've been attempting to collect every Marvel Superhero book from the 12 cent to 25 cent cover era.

I'm about 95% done but have lost my interst in it. Don't see the point in spending time and money on books I have no interest in,except for completing my original goal.

I'm thinking of selling off some of the runs I don't really want.

Would you;

1)Keep all the HG(VF or better) books and sell the lesser ones

2)Keep the mainstream ones and sell the lesser ones

3)Do something different

Right now,they take up about 25 boxes,including the many duplicates that I've upgraded from. Would like to get down to nine boxes with no duplication.

i will absoutely keep the keys. I'm wondering if it is worth keeping the non-key HGs.

How HG are they? If you want to free up space, I would certainly sell any non-key in 8.5/9.0 or lower that you don't like. If they are NM- or better, maybe hang onto some. confused-smiley-013.gif After all, how hard is it to come across VF copies of Marvel books...from any era? Do you have any obscure titles? Those I might keep. With a few exceptions, it would be a snap to rebuy 99% of the superhero stuff if the mood strikes you.

I would keep the keys and the titles you like (regardless of grade).

If there are specific parts of runs that you like, then keep them also. If you have to draw a line, then maybe you keep all the SA issues (or vice versa) and sell the rest of the run.

Good Luck!!!!!

When I got back into collecting, I was initially trying to recollect what I'd sold off back in the late 70's. After getting into it a ways, I realized that I really didn't like some (a lot) of those books... so why should I buy things I don't like?

So, I now only collect those runs that I really do like, and have found a few things I missed the first time around all those years ago.

I'd say keep what you like, and use the rest to get more of what you like. Nothing kills a hobby faster than a goal and a collection that is no longer interesting.

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

I have the same thing going on with me. I dropped out about 95 and started again this recollecting all of the Vertigo I missed. Come to find out. Some of it...well....

SUCKED! So, I have dropping my dupes and keep runs of the more valuable(yes, I know that is subjective) issues.

If you're not into it anymore, then you're just going through the motions.

Sell them and work on something that truly piques your interest.

I did that and put my energy into pre-hero comics and Silver Age original art. I'm a much happier collector, in spite of the fact that I don't buy things that often. And the more I think about it, I think that was the problem. It became too easy to buy any silver Age superhero book I wanted thanks to ebay. Now the stuff I collect is truly hard to find. It's reinvigorated my desire to look online and go to shows. The "thrill of the hunt" is back.

Follow your heart, Bill. And good luck!

Is space more of the issue? I know I have only about 11 long boxes and it's starting to be an issue as to where to put them.

I've thought the same thing, though have nowhere near what you have. But I think I lean against getting rid of any because I got rid of a 1/3 of my collection during college in the mid-80's. But it has been fun buying some of those old issues back. Perhaps a bit of the challenge that keeps the hobby interesting.

Went through this exact same scenario a few years back...ended up selling the books that are most easily replacable first (newer books, lower grade books), followed by the books that I figured were worth much more to someone else than they were to me (high grade slabbed books). Kept my Hulks, my favorite covers, the keys, etc.,. but it was just getting too expensive to upgrade that last 5% of the runs, compared to what I had into the first 95% ($-wise).

Good luck! headbang.gif

I've read many times of people losing interest, selling and then in 10 or 15 years spending huge $ buying all this stuff back. How 'bout selling your duplicates and readers and hanging onto the rest of it 'cause you just might wanna' get back into it later. thumbsup2.gif

buy a bigger house to store this stuff more easily?

why don't you have any interest in these books anymore?

I gave up for other reasons. Mainly I don't have the money to have decent looking copies of these runs.

i'm reducing (way too slowly) because I don't have space and would like to have a little more cashflow now that we have a baby. problem is, i still enjoy the hunt of finding bargains and wind up fishing a bunch of books out of various shops every week at a faster rate than I sell anything.

I've read many times of people losing interest, selling and then in 10 or 15 years spending huge $ buying all this stuff back. How 'bout selling your duplicates and readers and hanging onto the rest of it 'cause you just might wanna' get back into it later. thumbsup2.gif

893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

Morning Pedro! hi.gif

Space isn't an issue as I have about 250 long boxes of accumalated show and store stock. The Marvels are my own collection.

I just don't bother to read the books I get. I buy them,they come,I inspect them,put them in mylar2s and then every few weeks file them.

Just curious how you would handle this.

For the last few years,I've been attempting to collect every Marvel Superhero book from the 12 cent to 25 cent cover era.

I'm about 95% done but have lost my interst in it. Don't see the point in spending time and money on books I have no interest in,except for completing my original goal.

I'm thinking of selling off some of the runs I don't really want.

Would you;

1)Keep all the HG(VF or better) books and sell the lesser ones

2)Keep the mainstream ones and sell the lesser ones

3)Do something different

Right now,they take up about 25 boxes,including the many duplicates that I've upgraded from. Would like to get down to nine boxes with no duplication.

Sell 'em all! sumo.gif

wink.gifgrin.gif

I auctually offered them on Craigs list and someone offered me 3 cents a book for the 250 boxes and 15 cents for my Marvels.And EVERY Marvel is in a Mylar of one type or another.

But he did offer me $2 apiece for my Spidey 300s.

I would keep the keys and the titles you like (regardless of grade).

If there are specific parts of runs that you like, then keep them also. If you have to draw a line, then maybe you keep all the SA issues (or vice versa) and sell the rest of the run.

Good Luck!!!!!

What he said but buy some GA stuff with the proceeds.

My rule is to basically sell anything that has been reprinted in decent format (Masterworks or in my case Archives).

Having done that, weed out the chaff, ie: all those cruddy spin-off titles that you never really enjoyed the first time and know you'd never re-read. In fact, anything that you know you'll never read again in the next decade or so, sell it.

The only exceptions? Books that you are convinced are underpriced now and would be worth holding on to, but only in cases where you are 'sure' there will be significant growth. Even then it's worth remembering that a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush, although being in the bush with two birds is never to be sneezed at.