• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Your thoughts on collection reducing

80 posts in this topic

Using your VF ASM 129 example, I guess whether it`s the book or the deal depends on how realistic your parameters are. My guess is that 10% of guide is pretty unrealistic for this book in VF, so my impression is you`re not really interested in the book but just looking for a killer deal that you can brag about forever.

So folks who buy the highest-graded copy never brag? confused-smiley-013.gif

More like "excited", "voiceful" but I dont think brag shy.gif

Using your VF ASM 129 example, I guess whether it`s the book or the deal depends on how realistic your parameters are. My guess is that 10% of guide is pretty unrealistic for this book in VF, so my impression is you`re not really interested in the book but just looking for a killer deal that you can brag about forever.

Of course they do, but they`re bragging about getting a book. In the example I used above, the bragging is about the killer deal, rather than the book. I`m not saying it`s not something legitimate to brag about, I`m just pointing out that in my opinion, one situation involves bragging about collecting, the other involves bragging about scoring a great deal.

confused.gif I don't get this....especially coming from someone who loves high grade stuff. Are you saying that having any copy of the book is the only thing that should matter to a real collector? Or are you saying that anyone who buys a book at less than market value is not a collector?

Let me get this straight. Lets say I like VFs and I want a ASM 129 in that condition. I can't afford it, so I hunt and I root until I finally find one. If I buy it, that means I am only interested in the deal??? How is this different from someone who won't buy a book unless it's NM, but refuses to pay more than 2x or 3x guide for it?

I think you are trying too hard to draw a distiction between bargain hunters and high grade collectors. In the end, both groups are just setting artificial boundaries for themselves in order to make the hunt more fun. With enough cash, virtually any book is obtainable in virtually any grade....with obvious exceptions.

I've finally got caught up on this thread. This conversation is very similar to one sfilosa and tilleycs had in the Gold forum.

The argument October has put forward is the best I've seen. It's dead on right.

Collectors who limit their purchases to strictly HG are placing the exact same type of restriction as collectors who limit their purchases by placing strict limits on price. They are both artificial constraints. Period.

Either buyer can be purchasing the comic because of their restriction (rare HG or great deal comes along) and/or because their love the book. Did they buy it because it met their criteria or because they loved the comic? That is totally dependent on the buyers motivation (which only they really know).

Since when did you have to not care about price to be considered a "true collector"?

I also agree that virtually any comic can be had if you offer enough money.

What's that you say? You'll never get the MH Action #1 from the dentist? Show up with a suitcase with $5 million and we'll see about that. If you offer stupid enough money, just about any comic is available. Isn't that Metro's business model? smirk.gif

"So if I want an ASM 129, but can only afford it at 10% of guide..." So it sure sounded like it was the deal, rather than the book, which was of interest to you.

Can't we say the same thing about HG collector? confused-smiley-013.gif

"So if you want an Adventure #247, but only if it is 9.4 or higher..." Sure sounds like you want the rarity of the grade, rather than the book, which was of interest to you.

"So if I want an ASM 129, but can only afford it at 10% of guide..." So it sure sounded like it was the deal, rather than the book, which was of interest to you.

Can't we say the same thing about HG collector? confused-smiley-013.gif

"So if you want an Adventure #247, but only if it is 9.4 or higher..." Sure sounds like you want the grade, rather than the book, which was of interest to you.

Exactly. 893applaud-thumb.gif

My guess is that 10% of guide is pretty unrealistic for this book in VF, so my impression is you`re not really interested in the book but just looking for a killer deal that you can brag about forever.

As Norrin said, how is this different than a high grade collector who won't settle for less than 9.4? 9.4 can be "pretty unrealistic" as well, and many high grade collectors give the impression that they are really just interested in the killer grade that they can brag about forever. See my point?

Of course they do, but they`re bragging about getting a book. In the example I used above, the bragging is about the killer deal, rather than the book. I`m not saying it`s not something legitimate to brag about, I`m just pointing out that in my opinion, one situation involves bragging about collecting, the other involves bragging about scoring a great deal.

What about those of us who quietly collect the books and are happy to have the story in a nice condition book that we didn't pay more for than our car is worth?

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Whats wrong with wanting both confused-smiley-013.gif

Nothing is wrong with anything you collect. It's all collecting.

I have a problem when certain collectors try to say they are "true collectors" because they collect this way, and others aren't "true collectors" because they collector a different way.

It's bullsh*t. It's all collecting. Enjoy yourselves!

Nothing at all...

just as there is nothing wrong with only wanting the highest graded copy

just as there is nothing wrong with not wanting to get a second mortgage to get a reasonably nice copy at a good price

I'm not slamming those that want only the best grade... I just would like the respect to run the both ways.

Nothing is wrong with anything you collect. It's all collecting.

I have a problem when certain collector try to say they are "true collectors" because they collect this way, and others aren't "true collectors" because they collector a different way.

It's bullsh*t. It's all collecting. Enjoy yourselves!

893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

And just so people don't think I'm picking on the HG collectors... I would defend their way of collecting to the people on this board who think that only collecting raw, reading copies is "true collecting" and deride collectors who buy expensive, HG slabs.

Every collector chooses their own way of collecting. And many (like me) have collected every way. It's their choice, it's their money. Let them collect how they want.

I'm not slamming those that want only the best grade... I just would like the respect to run the both ways.

Just to be clear, I was NOT dissing Andy or the method of collecting that he was describing. I was just making an observation that one method seemed to be more oriented towards the financial aspect of collecting than the other.

Just to be clear, I was NOT dissing Andy or the method of collecting that he was describing. I was just making an observation that one method seemed to be more oriented towards the financial aspect of collecting than the other.

Wow. That's the first time I have ever heard someone say high grade collecting was less about money than lower grade collecting! 27_laughing.gif

Just kidding Tim, I know that's not what the discussion was about. stooges.gif

Since you don't seem to have any passion for the books, sell them all. Seriously, get the cash invest it in something you like, buy a new car. Why hold onto them? I still get that thrill when I hold a nice copy of Daredevil #7 or Avengers #4, if I didn't they would be history!