• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Strange Tales # 110 CGC 9.4 for sale

49 posts in this topic

or in other terms, the big dogs probably wouldn't pay any more than you paid for the book -- if that.

I think that book in particular is, while beautiful looking, not really desirable key. 1st appearance of Dr. Strange who has over the years been relegated to like 3rd tier character status.

893naughty-thumb.gifsumo.gif

Don't get me wrong, I like Dr. Strange. I don't like his what, 7 page first appearance $10k, let alone a penny over what he paid. Is ST 110 a tough book, especially in 9.4 -- I guess so, yes, I would say it's a bit tough. Is it worth anywhere near $10k -- No. This guy overpaid at $10k, and if you buy it at more than $10k, I think you are overpaying significantly, and will have to wait a number of years to see the book climb again. Somebody prove me wrong and pay $13k for the book right now... I'd love to talk to that person.

or in other terms, the big dogs probably wouldn't pay any more than you paid for the book -- if that.

I think that book in particular is, while beautiful looking, not really desirable key. 1st appearance of Dr. Strange who has over the years been relegated to like 3rd tier character status.

893naughty-thumb.gifsumo.gif

Hi Brian,

Why is everything about investment potential? Is it really so hard to believe that someone could pay 10K or even 13K for an item and truly never care if it goes up in value? There are several pieces in my collection that I really could care less if they increased or decreased in value, and these are pieces that I paid thousands of dollars for.

Everyone has that "level" where the price is so high that you have to factor in whether you'll get the money back eventually. For some people, that's 100 bucks, others 5K, and still others it's 20K.

Hari,

In this case I disagree with you because this was obviously for investment potential. The seller here in this example only wants to sell the item for more than he paid (the $10,500) and his asking price is around $13k after only a month of ownership.

This is a quick flip resale to me.

What you are proposing, spending $10k on a piece, is absolutely fine if the goal of the purchase to buy the piece with the idea in mind that the person intends to keep it. But to me, coming on here and advertising that you have a piece you are trying to resell, is simply going to bring out the opinions that this piece is overvalued to begin with.

Even as a collector, why would I spend $10,500 for something that I don't feel is "worth" it. Let's say I buy the piece because I really love it. And I spend that money knowing I overpaid for the piece -- if I really "loved" the piece, would I be selling it such a short time later unless there was some sort of financial reason?

Look at this guy's attitude -- he obviously cares about what he paid for it -- he will only accept offers over what he paid.

And my point is, when you buy with that mindset, you buy a piece at the pinnacle of the market, you should expect to hold onto it. He bought something that I think is overvalued, and he would be very lucky just to get his money back.

Hi Brian,

OK, we agree. I didn't know the background on this particular book or this particular seller. My comment was more of a general one, since you said you'd "like to meet the guy who buys this book at 13K," or something to that effect. My point was that the person who buys it (if it sells) may treat 13K like it's nothing, and we can't place our valuations/judgements on other people.

PS and completely OT: let's try to meet up again for the V for Vendetta movie here in NYC; I'm sure Gene and Dave would be game.

Hari,

definitely, I'd be in for seeing that movie... but we'll likely all get together around christmas anyway -- you coming to the National? I think I'll be around for the weekend.

As for the actual point, yeah, if someone wants to pay $13k and they were a collector who had been seeking that book out, fine, more power to them. But honestly, what I'm saying is that I think you can find that book in grade for less if you are patient. So why pay $3k more than what I think was already an overvalued book? I'd like to meet the person so I could hear from them, well, I'm a huge Dr. Strange fan -- but if it's, well, I think that's a reasonable price to pay, I'd like to have a discussion with them about how they arrived at that conclusion.

good thing we don't take big flaming dumps on people's threads here in the Marketplace.

otherwise, there would be some real problems with this one.

but we don't. so we can at least be thankful for that.

sincerely,

yore pal,

Sal

fresh from taking someone else to task about The_Beyonder's thread earlier this week, and wanting to maintain a degree of consistency, and yet being unable to shake the feeling of being a sort of "marketplace nanny," much to his own disgust

Beyonder tries to get GPA price for his book and is beat down by someone for whom the price o'erreaches

etiquette asks us not to make editorial commentaries on the asking prices of books in the Marketplace, is all that i am trying to say here

Gotta agree....very poor manners....

If I had the type of disposable income to buy comic books for 6 figures without having to sell a kidney, this book would be #1 on my list. In fact, I often daydream about the day I can get the 9.6 copy that was up on the Pedigree Comics site (I think it sold for over $20 grand).

Problem is that then we should never have dumped on obvious shills like Joel coming on the boards or any of the other people. I'm commenting on this book because there have been several comments beforehands. The mods are free to strike the comments and lock this thread if they feel there's been a violation.

Beyonder tries to get GPA price for his book and is beat down by someone for whom the price o'erreaches

etiquette asks us not to make editorial commentaries on the asking prices of books in the Marketplace, is all that i am trying to say here

Problem is that then we should never have dumped on obvious shills like Joel coming on the boards or any of the other people. I'm commenting on this book because there have been several comments beforehands. The mods are free to strike the comments and lock this thread if they feel there's been a violation.

i don't see any violations.

and honestly, i wouldn't have said anything, but i gave that guy in Beyonder's thread so much grief - grief he most assuredly deserved btw - that it would have been hypocritical of me to not bring it up here.

and this guy is a far, far cry from that Joel tool, at any rate, even if he is a relative n00b

I think of it in terms of violating the "ethics" of the seller's post and not so much the rules of the boards....I just would not want someone doing the same to me....fair?