• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Overstreet values beyond 9.2 grades

17 posts in this topic

The Overstreet guide lists values up to a grade of 9.2. Is there a general rule of the increase of values in grades 9.4, 9.6 and 9.8?

For example, if OS lists a book for $20 in 9.2, how much more valuable is it in 9.4, 9.6, 9.8 and maybe even 10?

Any approximate approaches here by the more experienced members of these boards?

As a (very) basic rule of thumb, I calculate NM (9.4) as 9.2 value plus twice the difference between VF/NM and NM-.

So, if a book is listed at $20 in VF/NM and $25 in NM-, NM would be $35.

As for 9.6, I basically use double 9.2, so in the above case, NM+ would be $50.

But that's just me... sorry.gif

I think it is very era dependant.

A 9.4 pre65 Marvel is worth multiples of a

9.2,but a 70s Marvel is perhaps double the 9.2 value.

I also consult the CGC census when determining what I bid.Books with a great deal of 9.6s and above lose much of their value as a 9.4,imo.

Of course you can drop a hundred bucks a year or so on GPA,but if you spend less than a couple grand a year buying 9.4s,it might not be the best use of your money.

I think GPA is an outstanding product,but at present pricing it is a bit of an extravagance for the average collector.As was Overstreets now-defunct guide to certified books.

I posed the exact same question on the STL boards about 4 months or so ago. You might want to check that thread for the responses it got.

http://forum.stlcomics.com/viewtopic.php?t=1662

Well yeah, but with few exceptions, the majority of people on there have no idea about anything comic related

Thanks dude!! thumbsup2.gif

Actually there are a ton of people with plenty of comic knowledge on the STL boards not just a few.

A lot of those people are your customers you should be nicer to them.

Well yeah, but with few exceptions, the majority of people on there have no idea about anything comic related

Thanks dude!! thumbsup2.gif

Actually there are a ton of people with plenty of comic knowledge on the STL boards not just a few.

A lot of those people are your customers you should be nicer to them.

You mean were customers. screwy.gif

The Overstreet guide lists values up to a grade of 9.2. Is there a general rule of the increase of values in grades 9.4, 9.6 and 9.8?

For example, if OS lists a book for $20 in 9.2, how much more valuable is it in 9.4, 9.6, 9.8 and maybe even 10?

Any approximate approaches here by the more experienced members of these boards?

If it's my comic, I don't care. If I'm selling a comic (which, with the exception of an experimental period, means raw), then it usually doesn't pay to be greedy. I "value" 9.4 at about 10% higher than the 9.2 listing. 9.6 is about 25% higher. Anything above that is pointless, nobody will believe they're really going to get a raw 9.8, 9.9, or 10 anyway.

Not that it matters much. When listing a comic, the "value" I assign based on the guide is just a reference point. My opening bids are 25% - 40% of guide, and people will pay whatever they want regardless of what you claim the grade is anyway.

I posed the exact same question on the STL boards about 4 months or so ago. You might want to check that thread for the responses it got.

http://forum.stlcomics.com/viewtopic.php?t=1662

Looks like you dropped a clanger there dude! 893naughty-thumb.giftonofbricks.gif

Thanks Iggy for the thread to the other posts. Also, good post Shadroch.

I guess it does depend on the era, the older the book the higher the multiple.

What are the thoughts on modern books from 1985 to the present? Also, is there any sense in buying a 9.8 book from 2002? There are no 9.9's and 10's in the census, but there are about 70 9.8's?

Just came back into the hobby about 6 months ago, trying to feel my way through the CGC marketplace.

What are the thoughts on modern books from 1985 to the present? Also, is there any sense in buying a 9.8 book from 2002? There are no 9.9's and 10's in the census, but there are about 70 9.8's?

Just came back into the hobby about 6 months ago, trying to feel my way through the CGC marketplace.

Welcome back to the hobby. hi.gif I remember my return several years ago; it was a fun time, having money to spend and all. 27_laughing.gif

Anyhow, I think that if you take some time to read around the forum you'll find that there is a lot of anxiety going around right now regarding consistency in CGC grading (and other matters), and thus the dollars spent for uber-high grade books that are otherwise commonly available is getting somewhat hard to justify. Is highgrade still great and desirable? Yeah, of course. Should it command a premium? Certainly. But a correction could be coming, and raw books may even be making something of a serious comeback.

Just something you might want to consider about before you start emptying your pocketbook.

Thanks Iggy for the thread to the other posts. Also, good post Shadroch.

I guess it does depend on the era, the older the book the higher the multiple.

No problem! I'm always happy to help! hi.gif

I think it is very era dependant.

A 9.4 pre65 Marvel is worth multiples of a

9.2,but a 70s Marvel is perhaps double the 9.2 value.

I also consult the CGC census when determining what I bid.Books with a great deal of 9.6s and above lose much of their value as a 9.4,imo.

Of course you can drop a hundred bucks a year or so on GPA,but if you spend less than a couple grand a year buying 9.4s,it might not be the best use of your money.

I think GPA is an outstanding product,but at present pricing it is a bit of an extravagance for the average collector.As was Overstreets now-defunct guide to certified books.

I agree that it is very era dependant but production run volumes and any large scale printing defects need to also be considered.

Try using price multiplyers on something like bronze age books like "The Forever People #1" in 9.4, 9.6 & 9.8 or the same grades in What if #1 or The Joker #1

I have found that you can use multiplying tables to get a very rough figure but when using these figures against GPA historical data & trend lines you will get a more accurate estimate.

Obviously the more data in GPA, the more reliable the figures are becoming. The only improver for this will be time.

I am quite happy to pay for a mid level subscription to GPA as its data has helped me recoup the subsciption price many times over during the last few years.

Regards,

Russ thumbsup2.gif