• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fao bollocks

122 posts in this topic

I'd say that for a period (1989 - late 90s) British music was completely dominated by house/techno/jungle/drum 'n' bass/garage etc.

What are you talking about? When I think of British music in the late 1980s to early 90s, I think of the Manchester Renaissance. Stone Roses, Inspirial Carpets, Happy Mondays, etc. And some non-Manchester bands like the Las and the Farm. Absolutely fantastic period. It was sort of dance oriented and part of the general rave movement, definitely Ecstasy inspired, but not house/techno type of dance music. And it paved the way for the Cool Britannia Britpop bands like Pulp, Blur and Oasis, who all hit their peak in the mid to late-90s.

I'd say that for a period (1989 - late 90s) British music was completely dominated by house/techno/jungle/drum 'n' bass/garage etc.

What are you talking about? When I think of British music in the late 1980s to early 90s, I think of the Manchester Renaissance. Stone Roses, Inspirial Carpets, Happy Mondays, etc. And some non-Manchester bands like the Las and the Farm. Absolutely fantastic period. It was sort of dance oriented and part of the general rave movement, definitely Ecstasy inspired, but not house/techno type of dance music. And it paved the way for the Cool Britannia Britpop bands like Pulp, Blur and Oasis, who all hit their peak in the mid to late-90s.

The Rave scene was the biggest this country has ever seen - bigger than Punk, hippie, glam, goth, etc. by far. All the "baggy" bands that you mentioned, while decent, were with the exception of the Roses / Mondays (who were both great) and possibly the Charlatans a bunch of chancers who were following the rave bandwagon.

Nightclubs and outdoor raves more or less eschewed rock music completely, and if there was an overlap / crossover it certainly didn't happen at those places. It was a virtual Mason-Dixon exclusivity. The only band who made the proper crossover between dance and rock were The Prodigy, and they became more rockist with each album.

While The Stone Roses were taking their five year sabbatical between albums, and the Mondays were disintegrating through terminal smack use, the dominant rock music of the post baggy era (i.e. 1991 - 1993) was all about a certain band from Seattle and their lesser cohorts. And Rage Against The Machine. You couldn't escape hearing them in 1993.

Britpop may have in the case of Noel Gallagher, acknowledged the importance of The Stone Roses, but it was more to do with being a backlash against U.S. grunge dominance.

Plus "Britpop" was a fairly nebulous umbrella term for a bunch of disparate British bands who exuded Britishness but in certain cases (Blur and Pulp) had been around for some time anyway and owed more to '70s glam (Pulp and Suede) or the Kinks and The Small Faces (Blur) than all their baggy predecessors.