• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Detached centerfold does what to its grade?

14 posts in this topic

I have an AMZ Spider-Man #50 with a detached centerfold and a neatly penciled-in "Price: 2.00" in the margin of the splash page. How do each of these defects affect the grade?

Can the detached centerfold ever allow the magazine to exceed 2.5 by Overstreet?

Regards,

Edited by clay

I had a book with a centerfold that was detached at just one staple, and it received a Qualified (Green) CGC label.

The writing, as long as it is small, will only impact a high grade book.

The detached centerfold would keep it down to 2.5 per OS. CGC might give it a Qualified grade, if the book is otherwise, say a F or VF...

The pencil marks in the margin should probably not affect the grade much, maybe lower it 0.5 or a full point; maybe not even that if it is in the 4.0 range or lower..

The OSPG is overly strict on detached centerfolds - I can think of alot of problems a book can have that bother me more and still grade higher than 2.5 per Overstreet. I know I've seen blue label CGC slabbed GA books graded as high as 4.0, with a detached centerfold. Personally, I might go as high as 5.0 before considering a book "qualified", but whatever the grade,it is a flaw that should always be noted.

The OSPG is overly strict on detached centerfolds - I can think of alot of problems a book can have that bother me more and still grade higher than 2.5 per Overstreet. I know I've seen blue label CGC slabbed GA books graded as high as 4.0, with a detached centerfold. Personally, I might go as high as 5.0 before considering a book "qualified", but whatever the grade,it is a flaw that should always be noted.

I agree. sumo.gif

I agree. sumo.gif

Me too, but it depends on if the centerfold is detached by one staple or two....i've seen blue label 5.0 SA books with detached centerfolds.

I've got a Golden Age Supersnipe V2 #7, great black cover. It's a one staple book.

Graded Qualified 8.0 with a detached centerfold and it doesn't bother me one bit.

It even has a $5 price penciled on the back upper right corner .

I paid a pittance for it....but with that said I also have a pretty nice reader.

If your selling it raw, describe the defects and call it apparent just like CGC.

If you are buying it, compare it to what a G/VG by wear would look like and pay accordingly higher.

If you are keeping it, no worries, it's still complete and readable.

Lots of great books have noted prices on their interior page from days gone by, and it's not much of a detraction in my opinion except if it's a book looking to be graded VF or better.

I'd say most collectors would easily pay up to a VG/FN price for a comic with a detached centerfold if it was otherwise high grade (NM) and possibly up to a FN value, depending on rarity. Heck, would you rather have a NM with a full length sub crease (VG/FN) or a NM with a loose centerfold that can be tucked in nicely.

Eye appeal......is a very good thing.

Found a Harvey Flash Gordon #4 4/51 CGC Universal Grade slabbed comic #2006889008 on ebay graded 6.5 with a detached centerfold noted.  So 2.5 is out the window? https://www.ebay.com/itm/Flash-Gordon-4-CGC-6-5-1951-Harvey-White-pages-C-F-detached/183859009276?hash=item2aced9d6fc:g:gcAAAOSwj4ldEA7L 

Have a nice FC 424, Flash Gordon myself with the CF detached, but wasn't going to bother sending it in..,,Should I?? 

Flashgordon4CFCloseup.jpg

15 hours ago, dfwdatacom said:

Found a Harvey Flash Gordon #4 4/51 CGC Universal Grade slabbed comic #2006889008 on ebay graded 6.5 with a detached centerfold noted.  So 2.5 is out the window? https://www.ebay.com/itm/Flash-Gordon-4-CGC-6-5-1951-Harvey-White-pages-C-F-detached/183859009276?hash=item2aced9d6fc:g:gcAAAOSwj4ldEA7L 

Have a nice FC 424, Flash Gordon myself with the CF detached, but wasn't going to bother sending it in..,,Should I?? 

Flashgordon4CFCloseup.jpg

I would say try to get the notes for this Flash Gordon (and maybe other comics with detached centerfolds from the era of your comic), and as many pics as you can find.  Compare them to the comic you have, and estimate the grade range you anticipate getting for your comic.  Then estimate your anticipated realizeable value (make sure to factor your potential costs of selling - time, taxes, selling fees, packing materials, customs if applicable, shipping, insurance) of your slabbed copy.  Then factor that to the costs of getting it slabbed (grading, shipping, insurance, possibly pressing, time, possibly customs).  Compare to your realizeable value of leaving it raw. Then factor that in with your own financial situation and personal collecting preferences and ultimate goals. 

If the math works out for you personally, do it.  If not, then don't do it.  This is (in theory) a financial decision.  The more work, time, and thought you put into it, the better the decision you'll make. 

33 minutes ago, revat said:

I would say try to get the notes for this Flash Gordon (and maybe other comics with detached centerfolds from the era of your comic), and as many pics as you can find.  Compare them to the comic you have, and estimate the grade range you anticipate getting for your comic.  Then estimate your anticipated realizeable value (make sure to factor your potential costs of selling - time, taxes, selling fees, packing materials, customs if applicable, shipping, insurance) of your slabbed copy.  Then factor that to the costs of getting it slabbed (grading, shipping, insurance, possibly pressing, time, possibly customs).  Compare to your realizeable value of leaving it raw. Then factor that in with your own financial situation and personal collecting preferences and ultimate goals. 

If the math works out for you personally, do it.  If not, then don't do it.  This is (in theory) a financial decision.  The more work, time, and thought you put into it, the better the decision you'll make. 

Well. the comic in question should rate a 9.2 if it weren't for the detached centerfold. The Discussion above infers that detached centerfolds can't rate a grade over 2.5 tho I have evidence otherwise (pictured).  So was the 6.5 an error, or do you think I can expect a decent grade on the comic?

53 minutes ago, dfwdatacom said:
1 hour ago, revat said:

Well. the comic in question should rate a 9.2 if it weren't for the detached centerfold. The Discussion above infers that detached centerfolds can't rate a grade over 2.5 tho I have evidence otherwise (pictured).  So was the 6.5 an error, or do you think I can expect a decent grade on the comic?

quick ebay search of 'CGC Detached Centerfold' gets this as the top result

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sub-Mariner-7-CGC-Universal-Grade-5-5-Centerfold-Detached-Photo-Cover-11-68/323847664975?hash=item4b66d3354f:g:52IAAOSw0T9cYdGQ

If you look at 'sold', there's other comics above CGC 2.5 as well with detached centerfolds.  Nobody said the CGC ceiling was 2.5, that was for OSPG (overstreet price guide, but I get that not everyone knows that).  You yourself gave an example of a higher grade, I don't think anyone has intimated that is an error. 

As I stated previously, the more work and thought you put in, the better the decision you'll make.  I would think you'll get higher than 2.5 if you submit it.  But whether its worth it FOR YOU or not is still a question only you can answer.

1 hour ago, revat said:

quick ebay search of 'CGC Detached Centerfold' gets this as the top result

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sub-Mariner-7-CGC-Universal-Grade-5-5-Centerfold-Detached-Photo-Cover-11-68/323847664975?hash=item4b66d3354f:g:52IAAOSw0T9cYdGQ

If you look at 'sold', there's other comics above CGC 2.5 as well with detached centerfolds.  Nobody said the CGC ceiling was 2.5, that was for OSPG (overstreet price guide, but I get that not everyone knows that).  You yourself gave an example of a higher grade, I don't think anyone has intimated that is an error. 

As I stated previously, the more work and thought you put in, the better the decision you'll make.  I would think you'll get higher than 2.5 if you submit it.  But whether its worth it FOR YOU or not is still a question only you can answer.

OK, Thanks for your knowledge and timely response.

3 hours ago, dfwdatacom said:

Since it's in high grade, you would likely receive a green Qualified label (as long as there's nothing else going on with the book such as a missing page or restoration). Another option would be to ask for a blue label and receive a lower grade because of the detached centerfold.

I don't think the 6.5 grade was an error, because the notation on the label isn't written in capitals (which are used for Qualified books). If it's an error, it's at least two errors: the label and the notation...

Edited by The Lions Den