• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How old are you? And here is my story regarding comics.

125 posts in this topic

I will be 27 in 10 days. I have been reading comics since I was about 8 and collecting since around 13. Now that I actually have money, I am finally buying all of the comics that I wanted as a kid (Wolverine mini, Batman Year 1, etc).

52, uncle gave me a bag of comics to read on a train trip cross country

when I was 7 or so. Old brown grocery bag with the top rolled down

pretty much half way. Musta been opened and rerolled a zillion times

as it had that permanent too soft feel.

Mostly old early 50's DC, some funny animal, and tons of Dell westerns.

Hooked me right then and there. First NEW bought for me as a child

were FF # 4 and Mandrake the Magician # ??. I had the flu/walking crud/

death-a-comin, or something of that vein, and was stuck in bed for

a few weeks. Before then I had mostly just traded comics in and around

the neighborhood. Other kids put the pinch on their relatives and friends

and before long we had a regular comic book club that met at a friends house.

"Ducky" Drake's house was built on the side of a hill, and the garage roof

served as a concrete patio off the kitchen. Other than never being able

to keep the covers on these rolled up gems, things went rather well till

my family moved back to Texas, and we all discovered girls..... a story

for another day... thumbsup2.gif

I'm 31 and I've been buying high grades Silver/Bronze age since 1988. I don't really read comics. insane.gif But I love collecting, buying and selling beautiful high grades.. cloud9.gif Everything I own is pre 1975 and nothing lower then VF+. I don't see myself ever slowing down.. I just don't have anything else to spend my money on confused-smiley-013.gif

The details of my 34 years and comics are quite inconsequential....but, very well, where do I begin? It really started with my father and mother. My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. He first introduced me to comics at 4 years old when he would try to get me fly off the roof like Superman. Much to our both dismay, it never worked. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. She used to wrap me up in Aquaman comic books and send me off to fish school in the hope that I would grow web feet just like her. After years of trying it finally worked, but only if I ate large amounts of Munster cheese. And boy, did I eat cheese. My father would womanize, he would drink. At least, he thought he was womanizing - I would just find my Wonderwoman comics defiled in ways that still make me shudder. He would look at a comic and make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark and the word balloon. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. Sometimes he would bring home a stack of Marvel comics and make me lick the ink off the pages so I could get the powers of the heroes. MY father had the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. The rest of my childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets and wear skirts made of Action Comics. When I was insolent I was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds- pretty standard really. If I was really bad, my father would make me go to the local comic store to buy a box of 50 comics and drag them home by my testicles. Ah, the good times. You know, just standard childhood stuff. At the age of twelve I received my first scribe. I had to kill him when he told me Jack Kirby was a hack. At the age of fourteen, a Zoroastrian named Vilma ritualistically shaved my testicles while I read the birthing scene in Miracle Man. There really is nothing like a shorn scrotum... it's breathtaking- I highly suggest you try it

And that is my story.

Thank you Dr. Evil.

Why did Brain damage close?

Pinocchios is still there but there stuff is weak and always was.[no golden or silver age books]

I used to live around the corner from Brain Damage, at 50 Ocean Parkway. It was a great comic book store. I heard the rumors about drugs but never witnessed anything like that during my patronage there. The owner was a real cool dude, and he has regretfully passed away. I actually bumped into one of his sons in a forum, he gave me the news about his passing. His son now plays in a band called Sons of Eden. They have a pretty cool music video on Youtube, he's the drummer. He told me that one of the dudes that worked for his dad at the shop went on to become an artist for Marvel, or Image, I can't really remember which company right now, either way that's pretty awesome. I often dreamed of becoming an comic book artist, I used to visit Brain Damage almost every day, loved that place.

Wow…first post and you went straight for an almost ten year old thread!

WTTB!

I was searching for Brain Damage Comics and came across this thread. Lately I've become some what of a nostalgia junky, and Brain Damage Comics holds a lot of memories for me. I was a broke little kid in the 80's and would frequent that store, often with bags of loose change I had gathered. When I moved away, the owner gave me a bunch of free packs of cards and a wolverine tshirt as parting gifts.

I'm 18, and started seriously collecting at 16. I was introduced into comics from my wonderful mom who used to buy me the cards and toys starting when I was about 5. I've always loved X-men, and I just eventually got into collecting GA/SA/BA books. There are many runs of SA books I want to get so I have a long way to go. I eventually hope to have an X-men run from #1-300, Avengers #1-250, TOS #39-99, Sgt Fury complete and JIM #83-end of Simonson run.

Wow, how time slips away! :o

In nine years, I haven't completed any of those lol The X-Men run is kind of close to complete. The TOS run has a ways to go. The Avengers and Sgt. Fury run I abandoned a long time ago. Original artwork has taken me in recent years.