• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How does comiclink work?

18 posts in this topic

the seller will review the bid and if you do not get a reply back the seller probably did not accept it. U can always call Josh and see what's up as well. I have found you have to come pretty close to the asking price in order to make a deal.

Your definition of "reasonable" and ComicLink's might not coincide. Me and a

collector friend of mine have placed "reasonable" bids in the past that didn't even

merit a response from Josh. My view is that I think he operates on a pretty thin

commission and doesn't have much room to maneuver on price.

I know some of the prices look pretty outrageous (there are books listed there for

3x what they would fetch on eBay), but when you think about how much commission

they make, you can see why it's not in their interest to waste time quibbling on price

except for the most expensive of books.

I think most people who buy from ComicLink accept that the rich prices you have to

pay are a prerequisite for buying some of the hard-to-find material that is consigned

to them.

Gene

Poly, keep on haggling. The consigner probably put a huge initial price on the 9.4 or 9.6 just to look for any reasonable counter-offers. But if u want a scarce bk now & don't want to lose it, hit the BIN comicLink price.

It's a unique and reputable site run by Josh Nathanson that targets serious high grade buyers... and sellers too. I recently started posting items there and made a fantastic sale within 3 days! I really should have explored selling on ComicLink much sooner as I'm often trying to reach the type of buyer that frequents the site... High-Grade Obsessed Buyers with ca$h to spend grin.gif His commission is very reasonable compared to the auction houses as Supapimp points out.

The selection is always "drool inducing". I've never logged out not wanting an item. (I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not)

That selection must be the reason for the amount of visitation the site gets, judging from the high volume of regular postings and sales. I check in almost daily to make sure I don't miss a 9.6 or 9.8 mega key I need.

I have not been working with him long, but I've found Josh to be among the most informed sources in regards to market trends, history and determining an item's value. He's very accessible and has been very easy to work with. I obviously recommend the site as a great source to sell those special high grade gems.

Of the books that I listed on ComicLink, the only one that I received an offer on was the Marvel Team-up 4 CGC 9.6 that I wanted $400. I did get an EMAIL regarding an offer of $325 and I was mulling over it and decided to accept it. However, before I got to send the EMAIL, I received a buy order at $400 so someone bit. I haven't really discussed it with Josh regarding what he considers to be a reasonable bid. I'll EMAIL him to enquire or maybe he may register and answer it directly. He does lurk on the board!

Just a follow up:

I called to see if my email order was received (the form isn't designed very well so I wasn't sure it went through...maybe they could send you a copy of the email when you submit?).

Anway, someone (I assume Josh) answered the phone. Looked up my request, told me it was received and said I should wait 3-5 days to hear if my offer was accepted, denied, or countered.

I asked if they were familiar with the seller, he said yes but played it pretty close to the vest so I don't know if my offer was fair or not.

It was nice to be able to pick up the phone and talk to someone and he was very helpful.

We'll see what happens next. The book in question was just listed today so hopefully I'm an early bird (probably a cheap one, but hey!).

Mitch.

Hey Mitch,

I like the fact I can reach him on the phone as well. I suck at typing and everything I type probably takes me twice as long as the next guy. I prefer speaking too... and you can get to the point quicker.

When I sent Josh an email list of the books I wanted to post and the prices... I received back a confirmation email a few days later informing me that my books were posted.

I'll admit that I had to follow up on bids I made before too. That may be the only lacking aspect of communications with ComicLink. It would be nice if at some point Josh could implement a "status email system" that confims your bid/offer and gives a positive or negative reply (or counter offer) within 2-3 days. Maybe that service works when you're within 85-90% of the asking price. All other offers below 85% could be a "assume it's a rejection if you do not have a reply in 72 hours" understanding. I bet he's working on something.

BTW... he won't reveal the source... and that makes pefect as people would try and circumvent him to make their own deals.

i know what u mean....same goes here. lots of contradiction going on in these forums. Comiclink does have a select group of buyers and sellers but lots of stuff sits there and ends up on ebay with no reserves. If it is over-priced the market will show that. Although u will never get people to admit it here. A lot of people on these boards like to hear themselves talk and believe what they say is the only opinion that matters.

Thanks, but the only reason I was gonna accept that price was that I could send it to Josh along with my Spidey 101 to save on shipping. However, the subsequent buy order made it a lot easier! smile.gif

I guess so Greggy... $400!

That is why ComicLink is really a intelligent avenue to explore before posting on ebay... particularly when you have a rare, high grade gem that is hard to determine a value on. I myself was not sure what a good price would be on the MTU 4 9.6W since there were no 9.6 sales to compare it to and only a 9.8 which did not go as high as you expected either. I bet you your 9.6 would not have reached $400 on ebay for various reasons (even if the guy that bought it at CL was bidding) if that makes any sense. I think the arena you sell in creates a level of expectaion to some degree. On CL, just by being there, the HG collectors will more readily accept that type of book as unique and worthy of higher value. I would much rather have a slew of HG collectors looking at my HG Gem before the majority ebay bargain-hunting crowd does. Agree?

Yes, I agree that ComicLink may be a viable option for me to use for the rarer high grade books. In the past, when eBay CGC sales were stronger, I would have probably put both that book and the others I listed with ComicLink on eBay with no reserve because my investment in all my books are very low. Luckily, I purchased most of my Marvel gems in the early to mid 1990s when they were so...CHEAP. Yeah, that 9.8 went for way too low despite its quality. That made me hesitant to list it on eBay. Even though I previously sold ANOTHER copy in 9.6 to clobberintime late last year, the graders must have been blind when they graded that copy because it had two albeit small front cover cover creases. On a black cover, they should not have missed it! I sold it with other books to him but I did mention my feelings about the overgrading of the book to him. So...even my previous sale didn't give me any informed information. Oh well, I kinda regret selling some really nice books on eBay when it would have done way better on ComicLink. Too bad I'm down to basically my Bronze books. Wait, isn't that all you collect? BTW, are you strictly a Marvel collector? confused.gif

Good point... in the earlier Ebay Frenzy, the difference may have not been that drastic... but now I think it's an easier decision what to do first with the unique HG stuff.

As for my collecting, yes, Mostly Marvel admittedly.

Maybe I should be "BronzeMarvelBruce13" but I don't want to type that in all the time grin.gif

I collect some DC, but my favorites are either unavailable or sell about the same in 9.4 and 9.6 given time. Example: Kamandi, New Gods, Creeper... all have this rather unique dynamic in which the 9.4 and 9.6 prices can often be very close, even during close post times?? I soured on collecting that mid-range DC material as I like to collect and make intelligent buys at the same time. I see value as being very unstable in those books. I would like a 9.8 #1 of Firestorm #1 v1 though.

I would love th Adams' GL/GA run but...$$$$

Send me a list of your HG Bronze Marvels...

Well, I have some Marvel Bronze at CGC at this time and almost everything will be for sale. Although my preference is for DC Bronze, I don't want to liquidate all my Bronze Marvels like I have basically done with my Silver. I have some ultra high grade books that will be graded maybe later this year but I will probably keep most of them. Unfortunate for you because they are in the 9.6 or better range. However, I will regret forever for selling my Iron Man 55 on eBay raw on eBay in 1998 when it was cold! Came from the same seller of my Spidey 101 and would have graded 9.6 or better. Arrgh, and I only paid $10 for it! I'll let you know if and when I decide to sell any Marvel Bronze. Too bad about your lack of DCs, I would have loved to trade with you. Likewise with the GL/GA run. I'll get my double cover 76 next and see what happens! smile.gif