• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whats the best comic you have ever read?
1 1

233 posts in this topic

I always really liked the Magneto/Rogue story in Uncanny X Men 274 & 275. I think that Magneto's personality was at it's best there, a man too hardened by life to ever be an ally of the X Men but still a man who fought for his kind with a fierce determination that was admirable. It still annoys me that Lobdell regressed his character back when he took over the X books.

I'll add more later I'm sure, but my first pick is a sentimental one from the late-Copper Age--as it will probably never get mentioned for anything else by any collectors who frequent these boards:

Robin II: Joker's Wild 1-4. Yes, yes, in all it's multi-cover, hologram cover glory. I bought this set for about $10 back when it first came out with a friend of mine--we split the cost and each took a few books for ourselves. I owned a few comic books up to this point, but didn't collect comics until after I got my hands on these issues. Interestingly enough, these (along with Batman Knightfall) were the first books I got copies of again when I restarted my collecting. I still enjoy reading the story, and Lyle's artwork never disappoints me with each reading.

My runner up is Batman Knightfall: Aparo's work on the interior is solid, and the cover art by Kelley Jone's is simply stunning. A great storyline where the reader is treated to Batman's entire rogues gallery gone wild. This one is more fun for me than DKR--not a better story, but certainly more fun.

As a totally new guy, I finally found a thread where I felt able to make my first post. When I was a kid, oh, so many years ago, Sgt. Rock was my favorite. To tell the truth, I guess he still is.

The Iron Major stories are the only ones I've read and they are great.

The Silver Surfer-Galactus arc in FF 48-50.

Runners up:

Four Color 178, "Christmas on Bear Mountain" (first Uncle Scrooge).

Mystery in Space 75, Adam Strange/JLA crossover.

Warlock/Thanos story arc in Strange Tales and Warlock.

My runner up is Batman Knightfall: Aparo's work on the interior is solid, and the cover art by Kelley Jone's is simply stunning. A great storyline where the reader is treated to Batman's entire rogues gallery gone wild. This one is more fun for me than DKR--not a better story, but certainly more fun.

I really enjoyed Knightfall too, tho I leaned towards Graham Nolan's art on the Tecs vs Aparo on the Batmans. All of the Kelley Jones covers kicked arse. :headbang:

Funny, I never did read the Knightquest or Knightsend followup storylines. Are they worth tracking down?

KnightQuest: The Crusade was pretty bad, unless you really like the Bat-Punisher (I actually liked Azrael... just not as Batman). KnightQuest: The Search (focusing on Bruce) was more interesting. KnightsEnd was good.

So tough to pin down just one book but Avengers #4 is a personal favorite and Thor #382 has all the action you could ask for.

Gotta agree with Thor #382 as a choice. I get all the philosophical depth I need from classic literature, so comics have always been about the battles for me.

Seeing Thor inhabit the Destroyer armor and just tear Hela's domain to pieces was always up there for me as one of the greatest issues I have read. That whole story arc featuring the curse of "brittle bones" Hela placed on Thor (and his subsequent revenge) just blew me away when I read it as a kid. cloud9.gif

Other knock my socks off issues I read as a kid include Avengers #166, Thor #193, ASM #229 and #230, FF#242.