• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whats the best comic you have ever read?
1 1

233 posts in this topic

This is going to sound very funny...but my favorite comic I used to love faithfully reading was Sergio Aragones Groo the Wanderer. I don't have a single issue popping into my head right now but when I was a kid I remember picking up issue #14 of the Marvel/Epic run off the magazine rack at Waldenbooks and was hooked. I was a huge Conan fan and this parady/comical Conan type was a big hit with me and my best friend who also began collecting Groo the same day. I soon went to my LCS and got all the back issues. Still have them all to this day.

100% agree!

Hello, I'm new here. First post. I'm Mike btw.

I'd have to say when it comes to reading rather than collecting, I found the "Somerset Holmes" comic series from 1983-1984 that I first came upon in a large box I bought when I was younger around 13 years ago or so caught my eye. The story started good and never let up.

Hello, I'm new here. First post. I'm Mike btw.

I'd have to say when it comes to reading rather than collecting, I found the "Somerset Holmes" comic series from 1983-1984 that I first came upon in a large box I bought when I was younger around 13 years ago or so caught my eye. The story started good and never let up.

Welcome to the Boards. :applause:

Too many to name one, but a series which needs to be read is Leave it to Chance. 13 issues, great writing and art, suitable for all ages and still cheap to buy the whole run.

I am not a moderns guy, but this run is the perfect antidote to the big guns, big boobs, no storyline drek that is all too common in the medium today.

Read it now kids!

The 8 year old version of me typically just looked at the pictures in the comics but one day I picked up Amazing Spider-Man #284 and was blown away reading it. The book had it all, Hobgoblin, Hammerhead, Jack O' Lantern, Kingpin, Silvermane, The Rose, and I think Punisher. That was the hook.

To this day I refuse to re-read that book or story line for fear it would not be as good as I remember it to be.

The collected Box Office Poison.

Like the Astro City arc about the Batman-like character training his protege too. I couldn't find it just now on my bookshelf but think it's "Confession" and the Batman-like guy is the Confessor. Good stuff.

For something on the stands now, Scalped is fantastic. Modern day American Indian reservation meets Sopranos with excellent takes on poverty, racism, crime, redemption, history.

Surprised no one else has chosen this...

Captain America 110, 111 and 113 is probably the most memorable comics reading experience I had as a kid. The Steranko art, and the story are simply incredible.

SECRETS OF SINISTER HOUSE #8 (Dec. 1972). The book has meant a lot to me since I first bought it off the news stand.

A close second would be Dell's GHOST STORIES #1. John Stanley wrote some great stuff!

Dell didn't knuckle under and submitt their books for Comic Code approval and their few horror books were actually pushing the limits...

There are too many good choices. hm

I have to specifically agree with several already mentioned. ASM 42 (love that last page with MJ)Swamp Thing Ann 2, the entire Miller run of DD but if you have to pick one than 181.

Not mentioned: The Green Lantern / Green Arrow run by Adams & O'Neil stand the test of time. Hard to pick the "best" of the run between 76, 85 & 86

ASM 248 - the back up story "The Kid who Collects Spider-Man"

No one has mentioned the classic Carl Barks stories yet either (I don't think anyway).I'm doing these from memory so don't remember the actual issue numbers. I could and have read "Christmas on Bear Mountain, "Only a Poor Old Man", "the Ghost of the Grotto", "Omlet" and the "Olympic Torch Bearer" and countless others over and over again.

SECRETS OF SINISTER HOUSE #8 (Dec. 1972). The book has meant a lot to me since I first bought it off the news stand.

A close second would be Dell's GHOST STORIES #1. John Stanley wrote some great stuff!

Dell didn't knuckle under and submitt their books for Comic Code approval and their few horror books were actually pushing the limits...

Dell basically produced exclusively wholesome books throughout the pre-code era, and positioned themselves in the marketplace as purveyors of decency and approvability in their line - which is why they escaped being reined in by the code, as they were considered exempt.

So their brief tenure publishing horror books in the early ' 60s was somewhat of an anomaly.

Dell basically produced exclusively wholesome books throughout the pre-code era, and positioned themselves in the marketplace as purveyors of decency and approvability in their line - which is why they escaped being reined in by the code, as they were considered exempt.

So their brief tenure publishing horror books in the early ' 60s was somewhat of an anomaly.

I'm not exactly disagreeing, but the way you have stated it isn't entirely accurate. The Comics Code Authority was a voluntary self censorship body. The CCA was established in October 1954 as a reaction to the US Senate investagion of the comic book industry and their stories for contributing to juvenile delinquency.

There was widespread public concern over the content of comics and their appropriateness for children around this time. Several communities had already banned crime and horror comics and many more communities had organized comic book burning drives.

Concerned about potential goverment intervention and regulation, comic book publishers formed the Comics Magazine Association of America. A self policing "code of ethics" was established. Publishers voluntarily submitted their comic books for review and approval to display the CCA seal. The CCA seal itself was meant as sign, an assurance that the comic was "safe" for juveniles.

Dell was not "considered exempt". Rather Dell believed that their reputation for producing only family friendly books was good enough they didn't need to display the CCA seal for their books to sell.