• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stress lines on the spine
3 3

19 posts in this topic

Assuming everything else about the book is perfect.

9.8 How many stress lines allowed and how long.

9.6 How many stress lines allowed """"""""""""""

9.4 How many stress lines allowed"""""""""""""""

9.2 """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

9.0""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

Overstreet is not clear about this. thanks.

My own personal interpretation of the OSGG is this:

9.8: None.

9.6: One, if the rest of the book is perfect and if the spine stress is 1/16 of an inch or smaller and doesn't fully break color. I might allow a very slightly abraded spine corner along with the single stress line.

9.4: As many as three, if they are faint, less than 1/8 of an inch, and if the rest of the book is sharp.

9.2: As many as five or six, if they are faint and less than 1/8 of an inch, and if the rest of the book is sharp.

9.0: As many as seven or eight, if they are faint and less than 1/8 of an inch, and if the rest of the book is sharp.

If you have significant spine stresses (fully breaking color and/or longer than 1/8 of an inch) it changes the analysis.

I have seen CGC 9.8s with two or three color breaking spine stresses. confused-smiley-013.gif

That is just ridiculous. screwy.gif

Anyway, I was talking about my interpretation of OSGG.

I have seen a CGC 9.8 book with a 1/4 inch spine stress mark/production ding, but it was a production issue that was common to all copies of the book, so that was the explanation for allowing it. (Personally, I think the best a book like that could get is a 9.2/9.4) This is Avengers #500 Director's Cut, I believe.

I have seen CGC 9.8s with two or three color breaking spine stresses. confused-smiley-013.gif

Are you saying that book shouldn't have gotten a 9.8, or are you calling me a liar? If you don't believe me, PM klozd24-7. It's his copy of Maxx 35 and he can verify it. I have seen the book in person, and the spine stresses are there. Not sure what else I can say. confused-smiley-013.gif

Are you saying that book shouldn't have gotten a 9.8, or are you calling me a liar? If you don't believe me, PM klozd24-7. It's his copy of Maxx 35 and he can verify it. I have seen the book in person, and the spine stresses are there. Not sure what else I can say. confused-smiley-013.gif

Andy, you need to chill out. I was not calling you a liar. I was saying that it is ridiculous to give the book a 9.8, so put away the gun.

Andy, you need to chill out. I was not calling you a liar. I was saying that it is ridiculous to give the book a 9.8, so put away the gun.

Sorry. sorry.gif

I wish my scanner was legal sized so I could take a good picture of it. We were both pretty surprised.

9.8 IF the rest of the book is flawless....maybe. It depends on how big the stress is and if its on a dark part of the comic.

9.6 Maybe 1 or 2 at the most as long as they are tiny and dont break color too badly.

I think if a cgc 9.8 has 2 or 3 color breaking stress lines, then it was a mistake made by cgc when they graded it. Perhaps it got overlooked or more likely got mis-labeled. I've seen many label errors regarding publisher, volume #, date, etc, so why not a grade? I personally do not believe it could have been seen, and consiously given a 9.8 grade.

I think if a cgc 9.8 has 2 or 3 color breaking stress lines, then it was a mistake made by cgc when they graded it. Perhaps it got overlooked or more likely got mis-labeled. I've seen many label errors regarding publisher, volume #, date, etc, so why not a grade? I personally do not believe it could have been seen, and consiously given a 9.8 grade.

I couldnt agree with you more. 1, I can understand if the rest of the book is flawless, but 2 or 3....error.

just got a lower grading for "spine stress lines" on a untouched comic from 20 years ago and an untouched direct from store comic to cgc; really 2nd guessing sending in more of my collection; seems like it has more value sitting inside my box;

50 minutes ago, qproper said:

just got a lower grading for "spine stress lines" on a untouched comic from 20 years ago and an untouched direct from store comic to cgc; really 2nd guessing sending in more of my collection; seems like it has more value sitting inside my box;

I think CGC has more recently weaponized their grades to make the other company's grades look sub par. I think a 9.8 can have one faint stress mark. After all a 9.8 isn't a perfect book. When buying raw I prefer to buy books with no spine stress lines whether they are 9.8 or 9.0 because they bug me.

On ‎11‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 1:36 PM, WoWitHurts said:

I think CGC has more recently weaponized their grades to make the other company's grades look sub par. I think a 9.8 can have one faint stress mark. After all a 9.8 isn't a perfect book. When buying raw I prefer to buy books with no spine stress lines whether they are 9.8 or 9.0 because they bug me.

This is true about a 9.8 not being a perfect book. A 9.8 can have a faint stress mark or two, but the rest of the book has to be exceptional, with four sharp corners and a smooth front and back cover.